Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good Vrs. .......Watt?.....

Lawrence Owen

If Good plays  RT again, He'll be asked to do what few in the NFL have accomplished, Hold off J.J. Watt.

I expect Indy to use a similar scheme as they did last time they  met, and put multiple bodies on him through-out the game.  But for a rookie, only in his 3rd game, it's a lot to ask for.

Good has shown great ability to fend off power rushers, and for the most part, hold off speed. But speed rushers w/ power seem to give him some trouble. Watt is the epitome of this.

I personally think have a TE outside of him to chip the rusher back into Good would be a perfect set-up for success vrs Watt.  But you know he remembers being held to just a single tack the last match-up, and will be looking for payback.

This is the biggest match-up of the game IMO.....no matter who is behind the center for us.

Ray Lewis did an nice job of breaking down the problems Watt had with the cast on his left hand. I'm actually thinking he will make minimal impact in this game....Hoping is more like it. I think he will get a couple tackles and maybe one for loss but still be adjusting to the cast. Mercilus and Clowney I'm more worried about though neither have great sack numbers Mercilus does have a lot of Hurries this year and 7.5 sacks. Clowney's overall numbers are not good this year but he does have 3 sacks in his last 2 games

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Ray Lewis did an nice job of breaking down the problems Watt had with the cast on his left hand. I'm actually thinking he will make minimal impact in this game....Hoping is more like it. I think he will get a couple tackles and maybe one for loss but still be adjusting to the cast. Mercilus and Clowney I'm more worried about though neither have great sack numbers Mercilus does have a lot of Hurries this year and 7.5 sacks. Clowney's overall numbers are not good this year but he does have 3 sacks in his last 2 games

Who ever is blocking Watt should have a better chance against him this week.  That cast makes it much more difficult for Watt to play his position, it also gives the Oline the advantage of knowing that Watt can't grab with that hand.

Watt was held in check the first game, don't expect the same (cast or no cast). We just have to factor in that he is going to get his nasty on in a game that means EVERYTHING.  We are just going to have to score, score, score  when we get to the red-zone and not settle for field goals as much as we have in the past, and play decent D.  I think we got this if we hold Watt to 2 sacks, and Clowney to 1.  We just have to make sure to protect the ball when the pocket collapses (NO FUMBLES IN THE RED-ZONE!!!!!)

8 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

If Good plays  RT again, He'll be asked to do what few in the NFL have accomplished, Hold off J.J. Watt.

I expect Indy to use a similar scheme as they did last time they  met, and put multiple bodies on him through-out the game.  But for a rookie, only in his 3rd game, it's a lot to ask for.

Good has shown great ability to fend off power rushers, and for the most part, hold off speed. But speed rushers w/ power seem to give him some trouble. Watt is the epitome of this.

I personally think have a TE outside of him to chip the rusher back into Good would be a perfect set-up for success vrs Watt.  But you know he remembers being held to just a single tack the last match-up, and will be looking for payback.

This is the biggest match-up of the game IMO.....no matter who is behind the center for us.

Costanzo in all likelihood will be back, so Reitz will be the Right Tackle.  This is our playoff game so I trust Pagano is going to go with his vet.