Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Russell Wilson Changing his Style of Play

amfootball

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/14325167/russell-wilson-playing-well-seen-there-multiple-reasons-why-nfl

Interesting read on Wilson and the fantastic last few weeks he has had slinging the ball. Seems he is changing his style of play. A few snippets:

Russell Wilson has been playing lights-out over the past three weeks. He has a total QBR of 93.6 (on a 100-point scale), 11 touchdown passes, and zero picks. But he's doing something more -- he's starting to change the narrative on his style of play. This isn't just scrambling Russell making plays on the perimeter. No, these are stick throws, quick reads and accurate strikes down the field from inside the pocket. In his past three starts, Wilson has completed 85 percent of his passes inside the pocket (59-69) for 810 yards and 10 touchdowns with a total QBR of 98.6 on those throws. It's not an exaggeration to say it doesn't really get better.

Wilson is ripping the ball from the pocket and it starts with his eyes. Looking at the tape, the ball is coming out earlier and Wilson is putting some serious heat on his throws because he is seeing the field clearly. That allows him to identify the matchups and anticipate open throwing windows based on the defense's pre-snap alignments/coverage rotations. Whether that is carving up the Steelers' three-deep zone shells or finding Doug Baldwin in positive matchups versus the Vikings, Wilson is processing things quickly and finding his primary targets. And that includes making throws versus zone/man pressure. Over the past three weeks, Wilson has completed 21-of-27 passes for 381 yards, six touchdowns and no interceptions versus the blitz.

19 minutes ago, amfootball said:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/14325167/russell-wilson-playing-well-seen-there-multiple-reasons-why-nfl

Interesting read on Wilson and the fantastic last few weeks he has had slinging the ball. Seems he is changing his style of play. A few snippets:

Russell Wilson has been playing lights-out over the past three weeks. He has a total QBR of 93.6 (on a 100-point scale), 11 touchdown passes, and zero picks. But he's doing something more -- he's starting to change the narrative on his style of play. This isn't just scrambling Russell making plays on the perimeter. No, these are stick throws, quick reads and accurate strikes down the field from inside the pocket. In his past three starts, Wilson has completed 85 percent of his passes inside the pocket (59-69) for 810 yards and 10 touchdowns with a total QBR of 98.6 on those throws. It's not an exaggeration to say it doesn't really get better.

Wilson is ripping the ball from the pocket and it starts with his eyes. Looking at the tape, the ball is coming out earlier and Wilson is putting some serious heat on his throws because he is seeing the field clearly. That allows him to identify the matchups and anticipate open throwing windows based on the defense's pre-snap alignments/coverage rotations. Whether that is carving up the Steelers' three-deep zone shells or finding Doug Baldwin in positive matchups versus the Vikings, Wilson is processing things quickly and finding his primary targets. And that includes making throws versus zone/man pressure. Over the past three weeks, Wilson has completed 21-of-27 passes for 381 yards, six touchdowns and no interceptions versus the blitz.

Russell Wilson finally has seen the writing on the wall. Running QBs make very short tenures in the NFL. Good for him. He's so doggone elusive too. Not saying he can't use that, just on a dictated and limited basis when it's called for. He keeps this new style of "thought", his longevity is almost guaranteed.

58 minutes ago, Booker23 said:

Still think he is overrated

Not this year. He has really progressed as a pocket passer and is reading the field much better than in previous seasons. I had thought the Seahawks overpaid him this off-season for the type of production they would get but I was completely wrong. He has taken his game to a new level.

On December 9, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Clem-Dog said:

Maybe he is moving beyond being a game manager. 

If you ever saw him play football at Camp Randall, @ UW-Madison you'd never say that CD. Trust me. 

If you mean that Pete Carroll had RW do less until he was confident that his QB knew the full playbook & could win without a specular defensive effort, then yes, I will co-sign that statement. 

On December 10, 2015 at 9:39 AM, amfootball said:

Not this year. He has really progressed as a pocket passer and is reading the field much better than in previous seasons. I had thought the Seahawks overpaid him this off-season for the type of production they would get but I was completely wrong. He has taken his game to a new level.

Exactly AMF, RW is on fire right now making unbelievable plays from the pocket. Less legs & more cerebral dominance. Doug Flutie 2.0 man. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

If you ever saw him play football at Camp Randall, @ UW-Madison you'd never say that CD. Trust me. 

If you mean that Pete Carroll had RW do less until he was confident that his QB knew the full playbook & could win without a specular defensive effort, then yes, I will co-sign that statement. 

Fair enough.  I will admit that he has exceeded my expectations as a pocket passer.  Truthfully, over the last 3 games, his impact has been beyond elite, in rare air.  My pessimistic side just likes it when certain players fulfill the hype that surrounds them.  RW is sick.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 6:39 AM, Booker23 said:

Still think he is overrated

Because he has the 1 SB win everyone will give him the benefit of the doubt now even when he plays badly. He was a game manager when he won that SB and relied on his Defense and Lynch more than anything to win games. He is playing great right now so I will give him credit. He will still always go down as making the worst pass in SB history to lose the game by many fans. Or call it a bad decision to throw when he could've audibled into a run. I mean that play lost a SB, not a regular game but a Championship. As far as being overrated, I don't know. I don't think he is a Top 5 QB in the league. Brady, Rodgers, Ben, Cam, and Luck are better in today's league. Yes Luck when he's healthy. He hasn't played like it this season but I would take Luck in an all-time Draft over Wilson anyday.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Because he has the 1 SB win everyone will give him the benefit of the doubt now even when he plays badly. He was a game manager when he won that SB and relied on his Defense and Lynch more than anything to win games. He is playing great right now so I will give him credit. He will still always go down as making the worst pass in SB history to lose the game by many fans. Or call it a bad decision to throw when he could've audibled into a run. I mean that play lost a SB, not a regular game but a Championship. As far as being overrated, I don't know. I don't think he is a Top 5 QB in the league. Brady, Rodgers, Ben, Cam, and Luck are better in today's league. Yes Luck when he's healthy. He hasn't played like it this season but I would take Luck in an all-time Draft over Wilson anyday.

Is this where the hate for Wilson comes from we are afraid he is better than Luck? He has been this year for sure.

I am not sure Luck is a top 5 QB just yet. He hasn't looked the role yet this year.  You could add the other 4 QB's turnovers together Lick might have them beat in the few games he's been apart of.

Wilson has had a great D and solid running game to work with but come on give the kid some credit. He very well could have won back to back Super Bowls. He should have horrible play call.

i think labeling him a game manager is way off. He makes timely big plays when that team needs them. He stays cool will beat you with his legs or arm. He has what it takes between the ears. He was great at Wisconsin. He's a winner. 

If I had to choose one of the young guys coming in the league besides Luck. It wound be Wilson without hesitation. 

That being said Luck has the highest ceiling in the league IMO. He needs to put it together learn to protect the ball and himself 

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Exactly AMF, RW is on fire right now making unbelievable plays from the pocket. Less legs & more cerebral dominance. Doug Flutie 2.0 man. 

It is scary to think how good Seattle could be if he plays like he has the last month AND their defense kicks in. I think we saw a taste of it when they played Vikings. It looks like they will most likely be the 5th seed this season so 3 road games for them barring a major upset. I would pick them to have a chance to beat all of the NFC playoff teams except maybe Arizona. I think they would be too tough for them but they could go into GB or Carolina and win IMO.

7 minutes ago, amfootball said:

It is scary to think how good Seattle could be if he plays like he has the last month AND their defense kicks in. I think we saw a taste of it when they played Vikings. It looks like they will most likely be the 5th seed this season so 3 road games for them barring a major upset. I would pick them to have a chance to beat all of the NFC playoff teams except maybe Arizona. I think they would be too tough for them but they could go into GB or Carolina and win IMO.

I'm gonna be honest with you AMF. As soon as RW got his huge payday, I thought he was going to struggle since $20 million per season means that your GM can't keep everybody on the roster & your depth is going to suffer on the o-line & defense or secondary especially. 

RW did encounter a few early round stumbling blocks year, but despite the SB losing hangover...That offense has started to click now & like you say if that defense returns to old form again watch out. 

It's kind of cool that your fellow NE colleague IWF on here predicted way back at the start of the season that AZ has a legitimate shot at playing in Levis Stadium for all the marbles in February. I'm with you. I wanna see the Cardinals in the SB. 

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wilson was as much a part of that SB win as the defense and Lynch. But I do agree, like all players a SB win validates like nothing else and he got his early in his career.

I also agree about the interception last year. He will forever be linked with the play that lost the Super Bowl from the one yard line. I have always blamed him the most for that play because he saw the play develop right in front of him. He was in the shot gun, no pressure in his face and he sees Browner pick Kearse and Butler jump the route and he still throws it. Just a horrible play by him. It will follow him the rest of his career as much as that first ring will.

That all being said, he has put that those two super bowls behind him and has raised his game this season. Many here talk about Luck having the higher ceiling but right now Wilson is showing the higher ceiling and the Hawks have needed him to given their defense has taken a step back this year and Lynch has been out injured. This team has started to become Wilson's team and he has risen to the occasion. I am happy for him and hope he continues to do well.

Not really hate for Wilson, I would just take Luck over him. I would also bet Luck has a better season next season than Wilson does. Luck blew him away last season statistically. It is just unfortunate Luck got injured this season. Luck could still very well have a better Playoff run this season when he comes back. I did say in my initial Post that I give Wilson credit for playing great lately too. I just don't think he is a Top 5 QB, I really don't see as that being a dis or hate. I would without a doubt take Brady, Rodgers, Ben, Luck, and even Cam over him moving forward into next season. Brady is older but still IMO has at least 2 or 3 years quality seasons left. I honestly think Romo is better too. Look at Romo's stats last season and how the Cowboys have fell apart without him. My opinions have nothing to do with the Wilson/Luck debate or me being a Colts fan to clear any of that up. I just think the QB's I named are better. Because Wilson has won a SB he will be looked at by most as a Top 5 guy and will get breaks from the media and fans for like last years blunder in the SB was one of my main points as well. The media never brings up his blunder and just blames Pete Carroll when that play in the SB is brought up. All Wilson had to do was change the play or run it in once the play developed. If Luck made a play like that I would be saying the same thing as to how bad that was. He basically cost the Seahawks another Ring and it cant be sugarcoated IMO.