Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The "No Need for Free Agency" Colts Draft

Here is a draft where I traded down a few times and selected players for all areas of need for the Colts. With this draft, there is really no need to go out and sign free agents other than our own...

(Trades - Indy trades down from 18 overall to get 26th, 2nd, 4th from GB) (Indy trades 2nd from GB to SF for 3, 4, 5) - I realize not all these trades are super realistic but they aren't too far fetched either.

Round 1 Pick 26 (G.B.): Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama (A)
Round 2 Pick 18: Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia (A)
Round 3 Pick 5 (S.F.): Dan Voltz, C, Wisconsin (A+)
Round 3 Pick 18: Vonn Bell, SS, Ohio State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 5 (S.F.): Paul Perkins, RB, UCLA (A+)
Round 4 Pick 18: Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville (A+)
Round 4 Pick 26 (G.B.): Maurice Canady, CB, Virginia (A)
Round 5 Pick 4 (S.F.): Joe Haeg, OT, North Dakota State (C+)
Round 5 Pick 17: Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama (B)

Indy gets their ILB of the future in Ragland, their pass rusher in Jenkins, their C/RG in Voltz, their FS of the future in Bell to pair with Geathers, their RB they need badly in Perkins, their NT to share time with Parry in Rankins, their long corner to compete to start with Djoun Smith in Canady, a potential long term RT in Haeg, and a depth CB in Jones.

If we want to be real SB contenders next year we have to make a couple impact signings. We have a major issue with putting pressure on the QB. Von Miller is expected to hit the open market. We need to sign him. With the cap space we'll have and the cap going up another 10mill we'll have plenty of room to sign our guys back AND sign Von Miller AND Alex Mack. That's 2 major holes filled with pro bowlers. Then in the draft my dream scenario is Jaylen Smith, Darrian Thompson, and CJ Prosise in rounds 1-3. If this were to come to fruition then our defense and team as a whole is gonna be unreal. We would enter the season as the Super Bowl favorites IMO. And Reggie Ragland sucks man. If we go ILB its either gotta be Smith or Jack. But I want Smith as bad as I've ever wanted us to get any player. Jaylen Smith and Von Miller to go along with what we have in Anderson, Parry, etc. would give us a dominant front 7

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

If we want to be real SB contenders next year we have to make a couple impact signings. We have a major issue with putting pressure on the QB. Von Miller is expected to hit the open market. We need to sign him. With the cap space we'll have and the cap going up another 10mill we'll have plenty of room to sign our guys back AND sign Von Miller AND Alex Mack. That's 2 major holes filled with pro bowlers. Then in the draft my dream scenario is Jaylen Smith, Darrian Thompson, and CJ Prosise in rounds 1-3. If this were to come to fruition then our defense and team as a whole is gonna be unreal. We would enter the season as the Super Bowl favorites IMO. And Reggie Ragland sucks man. If we go ILB its either gotta be Smith or Jack. But I want Smith as bad as I've ever wanted us to get any player. Jaylen Smith and Von Miller to go along with what we have in Anderson, Parry, etc. would give us a dominant front 7

And I'm not as high on Myles Jack as others are. He is very undersized for a 3/4 LB. Ragland has the body of a 3/4 LB and is a great tackler who has very good instincts. Jaylon Smith is obviously my favorite ILB, but he may get drafted top 10. I feel we have a Myles Jack type of LB already in Sio Moore. Moore is obviously not as highly touted, but has a similar skillset and size to Jack.

Moore and Jack are nothing alike. They both play linebacker, that's about it.

Ragland has no range, no lateral quickness, no coverage skills, no burst to rush the passer. He's a good in the box tackler, which is perfect for the SEC, but he's not going to be good in the NFL. If we spend a first on Ragland, I will be very irritated. I'd MUCH rather move up for Smith (who I'm not as sold on as others) than move down for Ragland. 

Also, a nitpick, in that if the Colts win the division, they won't pick 18th, and if they lose the division, they probably won't pick 18th. Don't know how you came up with that draft position.

7 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Miller and Mack represent a collective $25+M in committed cap with lots of guaranteed money.  We are in solid cap shape with some great flexibility, but not that kind of cap shape.  Luck's only on the books for $16M next year, but is going to have to bankroll at $25M per on a level cap basis.  

It's not that it can't be done, but that it shouldn't be done.  It seems unlikely that Miller doesn't stay in Denver as well.

On 12/6/2015 at 10:10 PM, ztboiler said:

Miller and Mack represent a collective $25+M in committed cap with lots of guaranteed money.  We are in solid cap shape with some great flexibility, but not that kind of cap shape.  Luck's only on the books for $16M next year, but is going to have to bankroll at $25M per on a level cap basis.  

It's not that it can't be done, but that it shouldn't be done.  It seems unlikely that Miller doesn't stay in Denver as well.

If Denver releases Manning, they can do whatever they want in free agency. They're already ~$25m under next year's cap, and that would add another $19m. Ryan Clady might be a cut candidate; in three years, he's played 19 total games, and they've paid him $33m. He's due $9.5m in 2016, coming off of an ACL. They could be $55m under the cap.

They have some free agents aside from Miller, but he's obviously the best. If he wants $16m/year like Justin Houston, they might choose to let him walk on principle, but in that case I don't really want him, especially in light of his suspension status.

The big question is Osweiler, who is a free agent, and they don't have a fifth year option on him. They also have Bruton, Jackson, Trevathan, Wolfe, Hillman, etc. Anderson, Marshall, McManus, etc., are RFAs, so they still have cheap control of them.

On December 6, 2015 at 5:38 PM, BProland85 said:

And I'm not as high on Myles Jack as others are. He is very undersized for a 3/4 LB. Ragland has the body of a 3/4 LB and is a great tackler who has very good instincts. Jaylon Smith is obviously my favorite ILB, but he may get drafted top 10. I feel we have a Myles Jack type of LB already in Sio Moore. Moore is obviously not as highly touted, but has a similar skillset and size to Jack.

Not sure what and where you're reading that Jaylon Smith is an ILB.     I think most everyone on the NFL level sees him as an OLB.      Way too good an athlete to put inside.     It's like putting a race horse and making him a plow-horse.....    a waste.

Here's Kiper/McShay on Smith and a few other OLB's...

I don't know if excited is the right word, but I'm really interested to see how some of these off-the-line OLBs transition to the next level. Jaylon Smith (Notre Dame), Myles Jack (UCLA), Su'a Cravens (USC) and Darron Lee (Ohio State) all have great range vs. the run and in coverage, but they'll need to improve their take-on skills in the NFL. Whether they declare this year or next, I'll be watching to see how their big-play ability translates to Sundays.

All that said,  I think Smith is an easy top-10 and a likely top-5 type of player,  so our chances of getting him are not very good...

6 hours ago, Superman said:

If Denver releases Manning, they can do whatever they want in free agency. They're already ~$25m under next year's cap, and that would add another $19m. Ryan Clady might be a cut candidate; in three years, he's played 19 total games, and they've paid him $33m. He's due $9.5m in 2016, coming off of an ACL. They could be $55m under the cap.

They have some free agents aside from Miller, but he's obviously the best. If he wants $16m/year like Justin Houston, they might choose to let him walk on principle, but in that case I don't really want him, especially in light of his suspension status.

The big question is Osweiler, who is a free agent, and they don't have a fifth year option on him. They also have Bruton, Jackson, Trevathan, Wolfe, Hillman, etc. Anderson, Marshall, McManus, etc., are RFAs, so they still have cheap control of them.

Is Miller one more strike from a one year suspension or is his offense in a different category  (PEDS ?).  Either way, its a factor no doubt.  I hadn't thought of that.  I still don't think they will let his production leave the building.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure what and where you're reading that Jaylon Smith is an ILB.     I think most everyone on the NFL level sees him as an OLB.      Way too good an athlete to put inside.     It's like putting a race horse and making him a plow-horse.....    a waste.

Here's Kiper/McShay on Smith and a few other OLB's...

I don't know if excited is the right word, but I'm really interested to see how some of these off-the-line OLBs transition to the next level. Jaylon Smith (Notre Dame), Myles Jack (UCLA), Su'a Cravens (USC) and Darron Lee (Ohio State) all have great range vs. the run and in coverage, but they'll need to improve their take-on skills in the NFL. Whether they declare this year or next, I'll be watching to see how their big-play ability translates to Sundays.

All that said,  I think Smith is an easy top-10 and a likely top-5 type of player,  so our chances of getting him are not very good...

He'd most likely play ILB in a 34.