Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Truly In A "rebuidling" Phase?

ACollie17

Just a thought I had. There was a podcast I caught on 1070, it was a Grady and Big Joe interview with Adam Schefter. He brought up the fact of Jim Irsay saying that the Colts are in a rebuilding phase. But Grady brought up a good point, if the Colts stick with Peyton (which I expect to happen if healthy), how are they going to be able to be in a "rebuilding" phase? It's obvious that the Colts are a playoff contender at least with Peyton. So that means that we would get bad draft picks for the next few years if Peyton is around.

Is that truly a rebuilding phase? I know the common thought is that Irsay wants to stick with Peyton and Poilan was fired because he may have wanted to go in a different direction. Assuming he is the same player he has been in the past, how can they rebuild if they have the 25-32 pick in the draft for the next few years? Does that signify that Irsay may really want to go forward in a different direction? Just a thought as I said.

http://www.1070thefa...oe/podcast.aspx

It's the Adam Schefter interview at the bottom of the list if you want to check it out

Irsay said that on the radio Monday Night but also said he hopes they can keep some of their talented vetrens and has since been quotes as of saying we are rebuilding in "some" areas. Like everything else with the Colts I think everything is in flux right now waiting on who the new GM is going to be, what's Manning's health going to be, and how many of those vets can we keep. The only thing that looks like a lock is that Andrew Luck is going to be the Colts top draft choice.

I would say we are in a reloading phase. With Peyton, this team is a few pieces away from a Super Bowl. If he comes back healthy and we keep him, I think the GM will do everything he can to put the pieces in place for us to make a Super Bowl run in the next few years to help Peyton end his career on a winning note.

To me, rebuilding gives the sense that you are smashing everything down and starting over. We aren't doing that. We have tons of vets on the team and the experience and leadership is there. If we were looking to trade guys like Clark and Freeney for draft picks, then I would say we are rebuilding. But I don't think we will be doing that. I think we are just going to try to reload to get this team to the Super Bowl before Peyton retires.

rebuilding is forced on a team by cap heck.

sooner or later the singing bonus money has to show on the books.

to me, if we lose manning, wayne, freeney and mathis, thats rebuilding.

you have to figure freeney is in the mix with his contract.

toss in addai, and saturday (both manning guys) and maybe garcon of he wants #1 money.

It can be seen as a rebuilding phase if we do keep Manning and trade the Luck pick away because

we will be able to bring in so much young talent with all the picks we get even if we keep all the vets

we've got which is why we should do just that.

ColtsNation mr jimmy Irsay will think long and hard about the Peyton situation this I promise. If he feels the best thing to do is go all in with Andrew then that's what I'll do. We have a chance to lock the QB position in Indy for several years to come. We will be getting more draft picks in future years so taking Andrew doesn't mean we are crippled with options in draft/free agents. The colts may go into rebuilding mode for a couple years that's up to jimmy. Look at the lions they drafted their qb they didn't do well for a couple years but now they have a very bright future that's what I want. Peyton has done so much for the colts and coltsNation is for in debt to him, but we must do what's best for the colts. Whether that means andrew sitting behind Peyton for a year and giving Peyton one more run in Indy or going all in with andrew. I'm seeing colts fans saying Andrew will be a bust and some people are actually hoping he struggles. This is not acceptable. Andrew will be our QB of the future and he deserves the same support we gave Peyton. Jimmy won't be coming out and saying what he is doing with the pick until new gm is in place and coaching positions are figured out. Have faith coltsNation we are entering a very exciting time and I hope you all embrace Andrew with open arms. I do understand some will be hurt because they want us to trade the pick but that's just not an option at this point.

"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need"

ColtsNation mr jimmy Irsay will think long and hard about the Peyton situation this I promise. If he feels the best thing to do is go all in with Andrew then that's what I'll do. We have a chance to lock the QB position in Indy for several years to come. We will be getting more draft picks in future years so taking Andrew doesn't mean we are crippled with options in draft/free agents. The colts may go into rebuilding mode for a couple years that's up to jimmy. Look at the lions they drafted their qb they didn't do well for a couple years but now they have a very bright future that's what I want. Peyton has done so much for the colts and coltsNation is for in debt to him, but we must do what's best for the colts. Whether that means andrew sitting behind Peyton for a year and giving Peyton one more run in Indy or going all in with andrew. I'm seeing colts fans saying Andrew will be a bust and some people are actually hoping he struggles. This is not acceptable. Andrew will be our QB of the future and he deserves the same support we gave Peyton. Jimmy won't be coming out and saying what he is doing with the pick until new gm is in place and coaching positions are figured out. Have faith coltsNation we are entering a very exciting time and I hope you all embrace Andrew with open arms. I do understand some will be hurt because they want us to trade the pick but that's just not an option at this point.

"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need"

I would have to agree. I can't believe some of the people on here are actually hoping luck is a bust. What's the logic in that? Even saw one person go as low to say hopes he tears his acl walking up stairs.

You guys are all right. My fault, I don't think I made my point clearly enough. What I was trying to bring out was that after this draft, the only way we'll be able to address our needs is in free agency or trades. As long as Peyton is QB of the Colts, we're a legitamate playoff contender. We won't be able to "reload", as 21isSuperman put it, in the draft any time soon because while we're in the playoffs, we'll get low draft picks. Which would mean it would have to be through free agency or trades to get sure talent

"Rebuilding" is a meaningless term.

You're always rebuilding because the salary cap won't let you re-sign everyone. Otherwise you end up "rebuilding," which is just code for trying to stop sucking.

You refuel every year but rebuilding is diff in my opinion.

You refuel every year but rebuilding is diff in my opinion.

Meh. "Rebuilding" is just the term people use for when teams that suck do the same thing that the rest of the league does every offseason.

I mean, every offseason you try and find guys who fit your long term strategy. Every year you try and address positions of need on your team and to collect as many talented players who can help you as you can.

It's not like if you declare "We're rebuilding!" you get the rebuilding gift package with extra draft picks and a shiny new free agent. All it really accomplishes is to lower your fan bases expectations.

Meh. "Rebuilding" is just the term people use for when teams that suck do the same thing that the rest of the league does every offseason.

I mean, every offseason you try and find guys who fit your long term strategy. Every year you try and address positions of need on your team and to collect as many talented players who can help you as you can.

It's not like if you declare "We're rebuilding!" you get the rebuilding gift package with extra draft picks and a shiny new free agent. All it really accomplishes is to lower your fan bases expectations.

Rebuilding you might let some good players that are aging go and you might draft for the future instead of picking up free agents to make an immediate impact or keeping the aging players on your team. Your trying to get all your young players to peak together.