Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts To Interview Eagles' Ryan Grigson For Gm Job

Coltswarriors

I agree, never understood the love for Mudd at all. The Colts were routinely good pass blocking but have been terrible for a long time in run blocking. If Mudd was such a magician with O-lines, why on earth was Philly's so bad this yr.? Mudd=overrated!

Didn't LeSean McCoy blow through the league this year? Where did you get the idea Philly was bad at their O-line?

Their pass protection broke down a lot due to the style of play of their quarterbacks and their tendency to use DeSean Jackson in ridiculously long passing plays.

Philly had a good O-line this year.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't LeSean McCoy blow through the league this year? Where did you get the idea Philly was bad at th O-line?

Their pass protection broke down a lot due to the style of play of their quarterbacks and their tendency to use DeSean Jackson in ridiculously long passing plays.

Philly had a good O-line this year.

Oh, I don't know, maybe the fact that their terrible O-line was a topic of conversation for at least the 1st half of the season. Go ask some Philly fans how their O-line was. Phillys O-line was commonly ridiculed this season.

Oh, I don't know, maybe the fact that their terrible O-line was a topic of conversation for at least the 1st half of the season. Go ask some Philly fans how their O-line was. Phillys O-line was commonly ridiculed this season.

Week one (Rams) they averaged almost eight yards per rush and only gave up two sacks...

Week two (Falcons) they averaged almost five yards per rush and gave up zero sacks...

Week three (Giants) they averaged almost five yards per rush and gave up only two sacks...

That is stellar in my opinion!

I would take that any week!

Week one (Rams) they averaged almost eight yards per rush and only gave up two sacks...

Week two (Falcons) they averaged almost five yards per rush and gave up zero sacks...

Week three (Giants) they averaged almost five yards per rush and gave up only two sacks...

Those stats don't show how many times Vick had to scramble early and extend the plays. Its true that Phillys line improved later in the season, but is that because of Mudd, or because they finally just gelled. Vick was getting killed early in the season and had to run for his life most of the time. It is just my opinion that Mudd is highly overrated and certainly not worth bringing back at his age.

Those stats don't show how many times Vick had to scramble early and extend the plays. Its true that Phillys line improved later in the season, but is that because of Mudd, or because they finally just gelled. Vick was getting killed early in the season and had to run for his life most of the time. It is just my opinion that Mudd is highly overrated and certainly not worth bringing back at his age.

True, I didn't show how much Vick scrambled.

He had:

Rams - 11 rushes

Falcons - 6 rushes

Giants - 7 rushes

Some of those were designed runs.

That doesn't seem like a lot considering it's Vick. He has a tendenct to scramble out of his own protection and get himself sacked. I don't fault the linemen for his "plays."

I'll agree that Mudd is old, but I liked how he ran our line. I think he would turn Castonzo and Ijalana into monsters!

True, I didn't show how much Vick scrambled.

He had:

Rams - 11 rushes

Falcons - 6 rushes

Giants - 7 rushes

Some of those were designed runs.

That doesn't seem like a lot considering it's Vick. He has a tendenct to scramble out of his own protection and get himself sacked. I don't fault the linemen for his "plays."

I'll agree that Mudd is old, but I liked how he ran our line. I think he would turn Castonzo and Ijalana into monsters!

This is what I don't get. He didn't turn Pollack into a monster, he never turned Diem into a monster(servicable, but no monster), he sure didn't do anything at all with Ugoh.

This is what I don't get. He didn't turn Pollack into a monster, he never turned Diem into a monster(servicable, but no monster), he sure didn't do anything at all with Ugoh.

Diem was a guard he had to play at tackle.

Pollack was a center he had to play at guard.

He had players playing out of position due to needs. We never had true right tackle, so he threw in Diem.

He never had a true guard, so he threw in Pollack.

Ugoh was supposed to sit behind Tarik Glenn for a year to learn how a left tackle prepares.

We finally give him some weapons he can use, and he's gone.

He made good players out of Jeff Saturday, Adam Meadows, Jake Scott, Ryan Lilja, Tarik Glenn, etc...

Do you happen to know why Mudd left?

Do you? Does anyone outside of the Colts' complex know the "real" reason? I'm not talking about the wild-eyed theories attributable to "unnamed sources." Does anyone really know why Howard Mudd left? Is it possible to find out without getting him drunk?

As far as the official story is concerned, it seems like it makes plenty of sense to me. He decided he wanted to retire, which he had been talking about for a couple years already. Then his friend Jim Washburn talked him into going to Philly as the line coach (Washburn had just taken the defensive line coach job) a year after he retired from the Colts. He was 70 years old. He said he didn't want the full-time, day-to-day work of being an NFL coach anymore. That's good enough for me.

The fact that he later went back to coaching doesn't mean that he was lying or something was being covered up. It could simply mean that he changed his mind.

And I think people have been complaining that (with the exception of last year) we have been starting undrafted players along our line (Saturday - undrafted, Joe Reitz - undrafted, Jeff Linkenbach - undrafted) or players in wrong positions (Ryan Diem - round four guard who spent much of his career at tackle, Mike Pollack - round two center who has been playing guard).

Jeff Saturday has been one of the best centers in football for many years now. Maybe some of that is attributable to Howard Mudd. But no one has complained about having to play Jeff Saturday.

And here's the thing: Over the last six or seven years that Howard Mudd was here, the o-line picks were the kind of guys that he has always liked. He wanted to use the kind of offensive line that the Broncos used to have: smaller, more athletic, the kind of guys you could put on the move and use in a variety of ways, but not big by NFL standards. We played Mike Pollak and Ryan Diem at the positions they played because Howard Mudd wanted them and wanted to use them in that capacity.

We had a really good offensive line for a long time. I don't blame Howard Mudd for the problems we've had since 2008. But I do think it's ironic that people clamor for him to come back, and then complain about undersized offensive linemen. That's the prototypical Howard Mudd lineman.

What about Week 14 against the Dolphins? 32 carries, 51 yards (1.6ypc), four sacks?

You can cherry-pick a week or two anywhere and paint whatever picture you want. But the overall numbers and metrics highlight the struggles Philly's offensive line had all year, and watching them play it was obvious that the line wasn't that good.

Do you? Does anyone outside of the Colts' complex know the "real" reason? I'm not talking about the wild-eyed theories attributable to "unnamed sources." Does anyone really know why Howard Mudd left? Is it possible to find out without getting him drunk?

I admitted I didn't know... That's why I asked... I was hoping that, maybe, you had managed to meet Howard Mudd at a bar and gotten a drunken confession out of him...

What about Week 14 against the Dolphins? 32 carries, 51 yards (1.6ypc), four sacks?

You can cherry-pick a week or two anywhere and paint whatever picture you want. But the overall numbers and metrics highlight the struggles Philly's offensive line had all year, and watching them play it was obvious that the line wasn't that good.

Those numbers weren't cherry-picked... I was told the Eagles offensive line was ridiculed at the beginning of the season, so I listed the stats for the first three weeks... In order...

As for the Eagles offensive line not being good, they finished FIFTH in rushing yards and ELEVENTH in sacks allowed. Those aren't bad "numbers and metrics."

Jeff Saturday has been one of the best centers in football for many years now. Maybe some of that is attributable to Howard Mudd. But no one has complained about having to play Jeff Saturday.

I didn't claim anyone was complaining we were playing Jeff Saturday. I claimed people were complaining that many of our linemen were undrafted players. Saturday happened to fit that description. People tend to see undrafted players as "weak links" in a roster. That is just an observation of mine, not my personal opinion.

If only we had a guy who wrote for the local paper who could do a write up of the GM canadits and tell us about them so we can learn more about them to know exactly who the talent is.

Oh wait that would mean Kravitz and Phil B. would have to stop crying about Polian not talking to them even though he's been fired and do some real work. Honestly I heard an interview with Phil B. yesterday and he was STILL crying about Polian not talking to them and spent half the interview talking about that... Let it go! Sorry a rant there that doesn't have much to do with the topic.

The star did at least give us this http://www.indystar.com/article/20120106/SPORTS03/120106016/Colts-search-GM-spreads-four-NFL-teams?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|s

The Eagles guy went to Prudue so take that for what it's worth which isn't much other than he might have interest in coming back to Indiana if we do offer him the job.

Personally I am going to side with John Clayton and say that I think Telesco is going to end up being the guy but I wouldn't rule out David Caldwell (because you know we need another with Jim and David Caldwell the player on the roster). Maybe that's Irsays goal to have every Caldwell in football working for him? (I am joking clearly). I think Caldwell will draw interest because he was one of our scouts from 1998-2007 which was the height of us nailing the drafts. He is now the director of College Scouting for the Falcons and their recent drafts have been pretty good as well.