Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I dont understand the Tuck Rule...

bap1331

The tuck rule was from 1999-2013:

But it was rescinded before last season.  So there is no 'Tuck Rule' anymore.  Either the QB arm is going forward and it is an incomplete pass, or he loses posession trying to bring the ball back into his body, and it is a fumble.  Nothing in between anymore.

NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble.  { This rule was eliminated in off season of 2013 }

The tuck rule was from 1999-2013:

But it was rescinded before last season.  So there is no 'Tuck Rule' anymore.  Either the QB arm is going forward and it is an incomplete pass, or he loses posession trying to bring the ball back into his body, and it is a fumble.  Nothing in between anymore.

NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble. { This rule was eliminated in off season of 2013 }

I liked the rule and not just because NE benefited from it as ironically it went against them twice that very season.

The intent was that the ball was vulnerable to a fumble while coming back down unlike a RB who has more control. The idea was the league didn't want more fumbles adding to more luck in the game. The tuck saved about 14 fumbles a year.

The Tuck Rule was called against the Patriots during the regular season of 2001.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuck_rule

Hmm. I don't remember the Jets. I do remember the Texans in Texas. I was thinking at the time as we were slightly ahead when they ruled incomplete pass on a fumble (tuck) on the Texans and I thought ok, we just gotta stop them again. Which we did and won.

I thought the 2nd game was Tenn because I remember two that year not including the Raider's one.

Of course if the Raider's had that mind set of stopping NE again after the tuck.....well instead they rolled over :)

The Tuck Rule was called against the Patriots during the regular season of 2001.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuck_rule

Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble.

There. Wanna guess what my opinion was of the 2001 Brady v. Raiders game?

Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble. Fumble.

There. Wanna guess what my opinion was of the 2001 Brady v. Raiders game?

That Woodson should have been called for a personal foul for hitting Brady in the head on that play?

That's my guess.