Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Last Play of Game (Werner)

chrisfarley

Have you watched the all 22 yet? I went back and graded Thornton at 94.5 blocking percentage 52 of 55, He had the penalties but I think 2 were questionable. I think Im pretty accurate but was looking to get your view here. Its over in the Hugh Thornton thread. He had 2 misses in the 1st quarter and I believe 1 in the late 3rd quarter

52 of 56, I missed 1 of the kneel downs at the end of the game, That's still 92.8%

Have you watched the all 22 yet? I went back and graded Thornton at 94.5 blocking percentage 52 of 55, He had the penalties but I think 2 were questionable. I think Im pretty accurate but was looking to get your view here. Its over in the Hugh Thornton thread

No, I haven't and I doubt if I will have time.  Your number is a bit higher than I would have thought after the game initially but not much higher.  As I was watching the game I was thinking he'd be in the 85-89% range.  Of course I take holding calls as a loss (and yes I think 2 were poor calls).

Also there was a play in the 4th quarter (a nice run by Gore) where Thornton got beat, the defender just submarine in there, Thornton did the correct thing and just landed on top of him, Gore made a nice move in the backfield to bounce it to the RT area and made a nice gain.  I also count that as a loss for Thornton.

No, I haven't and I doubt if I will have time.  Your number is a bit higher than I would have thought after the game initially but not much higher.  As I was watching the game I was thinking he'd be in the 85-89% range.  Of course I take holding calls as a loss (and yes I think 2 were poor calls).

Also there was a play in the 4th quarter (a nice run by Gore) where Thornton got beat, the defender just submarine in there, Thornton did the correct thing and just landed on top of him, Gore made a nice move in the backfield to bounce it to the RT area and made a nice gain.  I also count that as a loss for Thornton.

Ill go over the run plays in the 4th quarter, Thanks for the tip

Edit: I see the run your talking about and it was on a 2 yard run by Gore, I actually thought he was executing a reach block on the play and made the block, Could be wrong however of course

I think one of the most telling thing about Werner is his snap count.

Week 1: 3 defensive snaps

Week 2: 27 defensive snaps

Week 3: 34 defensive snaps

I know people don't like to admit it but the coaches are giving him more playing time because he's earning it by being effective when he's in the game.

Aside from the lack of sacks, and the expectations that he had that skill set, he's been a solid LB.  He always reminded me of Rob Morris in 2006 when he got moved to the strong side.  I could see Werner replacing Walden longer term.  Walden sometimes lacks discipline:  head butting, fighting, Sunday's roughing the passer - an awful penalty, Mariota had clearly released the ball.

Aside from the lack of sacks, and the expectations that he had that skill set, he's been a solid LB.  He always reminded me of Rob Morris in 2006 when he got moved to the strong side.  I could see Werner replacing Walden longer term.  Walden sometimes lacks discipline:  head butting, fighting, Sunday's roughing the passer - an awful penalty, Mariota had clearly released the ball.

That is a nice analogy!

I have to admit I didn't know much about Werner before the draft... just what I could read on the draft sites.  So when the Colts  drafted him and people were talking about his sacks and pressuring the QB, etc. I was a bit confused because nothing that I read seemed to indicate he was a pass rushing LB.  The Colts had just signed Walden and he was a bit of a question mark and even if he did pan out I always thought Walden was a short term solution at OLB (three years), so I always thought Werner was to play more of the SAM role in the D.  I think he was thrust into the pass rushing role last year because of Mathis' suspension/injury but I never thought he was drafted to play that role.

But that's just me.

I agree that Werner is playing fine at the SLB position. He is not a pass rusher because he doesn't have the nimbleness nor the bend to be effective at it. So expecting anything but a bull rush from him from time to time is wishful thinking. 

I don't agree that he replaces Walden; I think Walden is the superior player at defending the run, and he can definitely rush the QB on occasion. I would jettison Werner at the end of his contract unless his overall play improves significantly and keep Walden. 

Pac2 saw it, so did I Werner was bear hugged and thrown to the ground. Unfortunately for the Titans he was thrown right into the path of the ball carrier!!! Oh, by the way, how come no flag for holding was thrown????? We lead the league in offensive holding penalties, have had over 100 yards of offense nullified and have awful play calling yet are still 1-2. This is shaping up to be another good season.

I don't know why people aren't giving him credit for the play.  He wasn't lucky, or only in the right place at the right time...  I believe the whole defense knew they were running that play.  Well, by the sound of post game interviews, they did!  He knew what was coming and executed perfectly.  Let's not go overboard though, he has plenty more work to do, if he wants to stay around after this season.