Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyrod Taylor named starting QB for Bills (Merge)

1959Colts

Yet again Rex shows he has not idea how to handle the QB position. This kid is going to get rocked all season long.

What or who were the other choices?     Hmmm?!?

EJ Manual, who most in that organization don't seem to have much confidence in.   Everyone seemed shocked he had a decent camp.

Or Matt Cassell.     A QB you HATE so much you tried to bury him this off-season.

So, he picks Taylor, who by all accounts had the best training camp of the off-season and to the surprise of no one -- you're complaining about an obvious decision.

In fact,  no matter who Ryan picked,  you could've written the same sentence.     There was just no way you weren't going to write that sentence.     You just couldn't help yourself........

As long as it wasn't Matt Cassel, I'm happy. He's the one who basically makes 2 yard passes all game and withers up against good teams. Only reason he did good with the Patriots was that he got to throw to Moss and Welker all day and had the easiest schedule in the NFL to work with.

With Kansas City, he got to the playoffs on an easy schedule and then just got slapped silly when he faced a real team (Baltimore) in the first round.

Wanted either Taylor or to give Manuel another shot.

What or who were the other choices?     Hmmm?!?

EJ Manual, who most in that organization don't seem to have much confidence in.   Everyone seemed shocked he had a decent camp.

Or Matt Cassell.     A QB you HATE so much you tried to bury him this off-season.

So, he picks Taylor, who by all accounts had the best training camp of the off-season and to the surprise of no one -- you're complaining about an obvious decision.

In fact,  no matter who Ryan picked,  you could've written the same sentence.     There was just no way you weren't going to write that sentence.     You just couldn't help yourself........

Right. Going with a QB who has 14 career starts in 4 seasons over one who has 71 starts in 10 seasons is always a great idea.

So career starts is the best way to determine which qb to start? That is pretty ridiculous logic.

Yes. When a guy has been in the league 4 years it is. But that is typical Rex. He sees flash in the pan talent and then makes a stupid decision based on his "gut."  And on top they now have Cassell riding the bench at $4.5 mil and also gave two draft picks to the Vikes to get him.  SMH.

Yes. When a guy has been in the league 4 years it is. But that is typical Rex. He sees flash in the pan talent and then makes a stupid decision based on his "gut." And on top they now have Cassell riding the bench at $4.5 mil and also gave two draft picks to the Vikes to get him. SMH.

I guess Pete Carroll made a big mistake starting Wilson over Flynn then too? I'm guessing rex and his staff have seen a lot more of both of them than you have, and have a better idea of what each bring to the table

Was he the gm?

He was their coach and all of them floundered under him ... QBs are not his forte but the Bills knew that when they hired him. I mean it is a rare bird that tells the media he is keeping the QB starter a secret to not tip off the Colts only to announce him two weeks before the season, http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/31/rex-announces-tyrod-taylor-after-change-of-heart-on-secrecy/.

Only Rex. lol. 

He was their coach and all of them floundered under him ... QBs are not his forte but the Bills knew that when they hired him. I mean it is a rare bird that tells the media he is keeping the QB starter a secret to not tip off the Colts only to announce him two weeks before the season, http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/31/rex-announces-tyrod-taylor-after-change-of-heart-on-secrecy/.

Only Rex. lol.

That's because all of the qbs he has had suck. As I said, he isn't the gm.

Right. Going with a QB who has 14 career starts in 4 seasons over one who has 71 starts in 10 seasons is always a great idea.

Hey,  YOU'RE the one who dumped on Matt Cassell -- not me. 

You trashed him to me in an exchange we had right here on this NFL page when Buffalo signed him.  

You HATED the signing!      HATED!!

I have no idea how Taylor is going to do,  but he's been playing very, very well in camp and in games.    He's earned his shot.

Hey,  YOU'RE the one who dumped on Matt Cassell -- not me. 

You trashed him to me in an exchange we had right here on this NFL page when Buffalo signed him.  

You HATED the signing!      HATED!!

I have no idea how Taylor is going to do,  but he's been playing very, very well in camp and in games.    He's earned his shot.

LOL. I never said I hated the signing, I was critical of it because I felt like they paid him too much and as I turned out I was right as he is riding the bench for them at $4.5 mil being beat out by this Tyrod kid with 14 total career starts over 4 years.

LOL. I never said I hated the signing, I was critical of it because I felt like they paid him too much and as I turned out I was right as he is riding the bench for them at $4.5 mil being beat out by this Tyrod kid with 14 total career starts over 4 years.

The Seahawks paid Flynn 8 million in 2012. How many starts did Wilson have when he was named the starter?

And Taylor doesn't have 14 starts

The Seahawks paid Flynn 8 million in 2012. How many starts did Wilson have when he was named the starter?

And Taylor doesn't have 14 starts

So you are saying the Seahawks were smart to pay Flynn $8 mil and never have him play a down? They also gave a #2 to the Packers for him on top.

And you right, my bad. Tyrod has ZERO starts.

You didn't just say they paid him too much,  you trashed him good.    Because if he's starting than $4.5 Mill is peanuts.   Anything under $10 Mill for a starting QB is a good,  so $4.5 mill for a starter is great for Buffalo.    There was nothing to complain about.

The pay issue was only ONE PART of your complaint.   The other part was,  you thought he was not good enough to start.

And now that he's NOT starting,  you're complaining about it.

Taylor earned the starting job with his play in the pre-season.

How he does in the regular season is another story.    I have no idea how he'll do.   But he earned the starting gig.

You didn't just say they paid him too much,  you trashed him good.    Because if he's starting than $4.5 Mill is peanuts.   Anything under $10 Mill for a starting QB is a good,  so $4.5 mill for a starter is great for Buffalo.    There was nothing to complain about.

The pay issue was only ONE PART of your complaint.   The other part was,  you thought he was not good enough to start.

And now that he's NOT starting,  you're complaining about it.

Taylor earned the starting job with his play in the pre-season.

How he does in the regular season is another story.    I have no idea how he'll do.   But he earned the starting gig.

Cassell is not a good QB and not worth the $4.5 mil but he is more accomplished than Tyrod by faaar. We will see how it pans out. He is a bit of a ? so he that could either be good or really bad. Given Rex's history with Qbs, I would go with the latter but we will see.

So you are saying the Seahawks were smart to pay Flynn $8 mil and never have him play a down? They also gave a #2 to the Packers for him on top.

And you right, my bad. Tyrod has ZERO starts.

First,  Flynn wasn't traded to Seattle.   He signed as a free agent.    I'll include his bio.

Second,   you asked was Seattle right to sign Flynn, pay him all that money and NOT play him.

The answer to that question is HECK YES!!    Have you followed football much?   Seattle's QB is RUSSELL WILSON!   Heard of him?      Their franchise has won double-digits ever year with Wilson.     Been two back-to-back Super Bowls and won one of them!    Remember that? 

And your argument is that Seattle should have stuck with Flynn because they were paying him all that money!    Respectfully,  are you out of your mind?!?

So Buffalo trades for Cassell,  pays him a contract you think is too much,  and now you mock them for not starting him.   This is just like the Wilson case.     Your argument is that the team paying the money should be paying the player making the most money.     Sorry,  but life isn't that simple.    It doesn't always work out that way.

Seattle has shown that.     And now Buffalo is too.

First,  Flynn wasn't traded to Seattle.   He signed as a free agent.    I'll include his bio.

Second,   you asked was Seattle right to sign Flynn, pay him all that money and NOT play him.

The answer to that question is HECK YES!!    Have you followed football much?   Seattle's QB is RUSSELL WILSON!   Heard of him?      Their franchise has won double-digits ever year with Wilson.     Been two back-to-back Super Bowls and won one of them!    Remember that? 

And your argument is that Seattle should have stuck with Flynn because they were paying him all that money!    Respectfully,  are you out of your mind?!?

So Buffalo trades for Cassell,  pays him a contract you think is too much,  and now you mock them for not starting him.   This is just like the Wilson case.     Your argument is that the team paying the money should be paying the player making the most money.     Sorry,  but life isn't that simple.    It doesn't always work out that way.

Seattle has shown that.     And now Buffalo is too.

That is right. He was a FA. I had Flynn confused with Schaub.

I was never asked about Seattle not playing Flynn. I made the comparison that they signed him to a huge deal and he never played a down for them. That is bad football business period. Of course they should have played Wilson in hindsight.

With Ryan however, you are dealing with a HC who has never figured out the QB position. Perhaps that is because he has had bad QBs as jvan suggested or perhaps it is because he was unable to develop him with his offensive staff. So for him to sign Cassell for $4.5 mil and sit him for a QB who has never started a game in 4 years is dubious at best. But like I said, let's see it play out. This thread is about our opinions on the move. I don't like it. I think it will be bad. You disagree. That is fine. Let's see it play out ...

I was never asked about Seattle not playing Flynn. I made the comparison that they signed him to a huge deal and he never played a down for them. That is bad football business period. Of course they should have played Wilson in hindsight.

With Ryan however, you are dealing with a HC who has never figured out the QB position. Perhaps that is because he has had bad QBs as jvan suggested or perhaps it is because he was unable to develop him with his offensive staff. So for him to sign Cassell for $4.5 mil and sit him for a QB who has never started a game in 4 years is dubious at best. But like I said, let's see it play out. This thread is about our opinions on the move. I don't like it. I think it will be bad. You disagree. That is fine. Let's see it play out ...

He didn't sign cassel, Doug Whaley did

That's why the head coach (Ryan) brought on a well-respected offensive coordinator who has been a head coaching candidate (Greg Roman).  Roman has worked with mobile quarterbacks in Smith (somewhat-mobile) and Kaepernick and has been to multiple NFC championship games as well as a Super Bowl.  They brought in Cassel to fight for the position with Manuel and Taylor.  Cassel could easily be cut if they don't see him as close to being the starter.  I think the Bills would feel ok with Manuel backing up Taylor after this preseason.  Everybody wants to write off Manuel, but the guy hasn't even played the equivalent of a full NFL season (14 games).  The plan initially was to sit him behind a veteran and have him learn for a year or two...but due to injuries, he was forced to start right away.  I think the way that they're handling him NOW is how they should've handled him 2 years ago.

That being said, it appears Taylor is the right choice as of now.  Who knows how it'll work out, but it's obvious he played and practiced the best of the 3 while also being able to add another dimension when plays broke down.  They have weapons everywhere (Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Clay, McCoy) and a stout defense.  If he can manage to move the offense, even inconsistently, they will be a tough match-up every week.

No.     Actually it's GREAT business decision -- period.

Seattle signed Flynn during free agency.     Free agency starts in mid-March.    The draft isn't until late April.    So, there are decisions to be made in that six week window.     The decision was made to go after Flynn as their likely starting QB.    They didn't know then that they'd be able to draft Wilson.    They didn't know until they pulled the trigger on him six weeks later!

Credit to Seattle for not deciding who starts based on the size of the paycheck.   Credit to Seattle for making the hard decision to go with Wilson -- the rookie -- over Flynn the veteran,  even thought the veteran had just been signed to a good contract.    Hey,  stuff happens.    Great for Seattle that Wilson worked out.    The millions they lost on Flynn gets chalked up to the cost of doing business.     Stuff happens.

Here's what you said to JVan about Seattle and Flynn....    I'm cutting and pasting your comment......

"So you are saying the Seahawks were smart to pay Flynn $8 mil and never have him play a down?"

Now....  to answer that question, allow me to answer this way......

YES!!!

That's why the head coach (Ryan) brought on a well-respected offensive coordinator who has been a head coaching candidate (Greg Roman).  Roman has worked with mobile quarterbacks in Smith (somewhat-mobile) and Kaepernick and has been to multiple NFC championship games as well as a Super Bowl.  They brought in Cassel to fight for the position with Manuel and Taylor.  Cassel could easily be cut if they don't see him as close to being the starter.  I think the Bills would feel ok with Manuel backing up Taylor after this preseason.  Everybody wants to write off Manuel, but the guy hasn't even played the equivalent of a full NFL season (14 games).  The plan initially was to sit him behind a veteran and have him learn for a year or two...but due to injuries, he was forced to start right away.  I think the way that they're handling him NOW is how they should've handled him 2 years ago.

That being said, it appears Taylor is the right choice as of now.  Who knows how it'll work out, but it's obvious he played and practiced the best of the 3 while also being able to add another dimension when plays broke down.  They have weapons everywhere (Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Clay, McCoy) and a stout defense.  If he can manage to move the offense, even inconsistently, they will be a tough match-up every week.

I agree about the O it is locked and loaded. We will see if Taylor can take advantage.