Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sporting News ranks Grigson the 10th best GM

RockThatBlue

I think you know this isn't a good comparison.

Whether or not you want to use some arbitrary number to define "breaking the bank", Cherilus still had a significant cap hit and was one of the 2-3 highest paid players on the team and was paid much more than his past play or even future projections (considering he was coming off of micro-fracture surgery) warranted. 

He actually never had a significant cap hit, but yes, he was highly paid and wasn't worthy of the contract he had. Highest paid RT in NFL history, but not by much, and it still wasn't the kind of contract that would become a problem at any point. That's why they cut him when they did. 

And I never liked his contract, and was always worried about his knee. He wasn't actually coming off of microfracture; it was two and a half years later, but I still didn't like the big signing bonus. Like I said, I don't want to defend the Cherilus deal. But 'highest paid RT' doesn't really mean that much.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joseph was hurt too. He was shot in the leg last summer. That kept him out for much of training camp but he still played in 16 regular season games. He looks great this year. We will see who plays better in 2015.

I feel compelled to defend my team's GM no more than you feel compelled to defend yours, especially when you are using Spielman's moves to defend Grigson. But I do get what you're trying to convey, though the examples you use are a bit misleading.

The Colts signing Cherilus is not nearly the same as the Vikes re-signing Loadholt. Loadholt was a better player. But more importantly, we paid him more to retain a player that we valued. I support my GM paying more for our own player to maintain continuity. That is why I also like Ted Thompson. He places greater value on keeping his own players over paying for other teams' free agents.

Also, I disagree with how you described Loadholt as having had a "bad" 2014. He was having a very good year and played in about 10-11 games before he went on IR. Yes, he is on IR this year but thankfully the Vikes drafted 3 offensive tackles. Hopefully Clemmings or someone else can step up.

Art Jones had his leg rolled up on. Can't control injuries. We will see who plays better moving forward, and I hope Joseph works out for the Vikes.

I don't think you understand my point about Spielman. Unless you're prepared to say he's never made a mistake, you're actually supporting my argument. Every GM -- even good ones, and I already said I think Spielman is good -- has some blemishes on his record. And even those blemishes can be defended at times. When Colts fans say 'Grigson isn't that good because of XYZ,' and then turn around and say 'but these other GMs are better,' I think it helps to add some perspective. Let's microanalyze these other GMs the way we microanalyze Grigson, and see what happens.

I absolutely agree with the bolded. But that's not a luxury the Colts had when Grigson took over. The cupboard was mostly bare, especially when it comes to young players that we could retain and build around. Doesn't mean I think Grigson made the best choice he could, but he didn't have a young and promising RT that he could lock up. Grigson has retained five players from the previous era, and two of them are kickers. He's had to build his roster under very different circumstances than Spielman.

And once again, just to clarify, I'm not trying to undermine Spielman at all. The Vikings look promising. You might recall me being a big fan of their 2014 draft. I like 2015's class, also.

I am fine with him being 10th.  When we get to and win the Super Bowl....he will go up a few notches.  There is no was Irsay gets rid of someone who had managed the 2011 debacle with playoff seasons.  Any one who says he is on the hot seat is day-drink'n.  :)

Like I know every rag in existence. Just saying....never heard of 'em. 

Sporting News....the place I went for all my Baseball information....kinda like the bible for baseball lol....football....ehhh. It has been around for ever but I could understand most people consider it a baseball paper because of all the stats it has in it.