Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Positives and Negatives about Demarious Randall

I have to admit, the draft is today and I'm feeling very nervous. I want a great player to fall to us in round 1 that has a chance to improve this team. Having said that, I've heard a lot of rumors and talk that a guy named Demarious Randall may be our pick at 29. Now he is an interchangable safety and he is the top Safety on Mike Mayock's board (my favorite draft anaylst who I trust vehemently) that went at 20 to the Eagles. I will admit I don't know a lot about him, except the fact that he fits the mold of the modern-day Safety, he can play both safety positions, and most importantly and most scary, he was a huge riser in the last month or two. He has risen so much, that there's a good chance he could go ahead of Landon Collins. I'm really worried about taking him at this point and was wondering if you guys could tell me about him, tell me the positives and negatives you know to put my mind at ease a bit before the draft. I would really appreciate this, thanks!

Np. Tbf to Randall, I wrote that before his USC tape went up, and that game was better than all of his others combined.

I see, your negatives have me worried, especially the tackling part. I hope the USC tape is impressive. If you could link me to the USC tape that would be awesome, otherwise I'll try to find it. I really want to be comfortable with Randall. there are some positives, I'm just really wary on these late risers, it's usually more because of a great combine then the fact that they are great football players. Of course, Jamie Collins of the Pats was a combine freak and worked out great in the NFL so far, so it can go both ways.

I see, your negatives have me worried, especially the tackling part. I hope the USC tape is impressive. If you could link me to the USC tape that would be awesome, otherwise I'll try to find it. I really want to be comfortable with Randall. there are some positives, I'm just really wary on these late risers, it's usually more because of a great combine then the fact that they are great football players. Of course, Jamie Collins of the Pats was a combine freak and worked out great in the NFL so far, so it can go both ways.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/damarious-randall-vs-usc-2014-2/

Thank you Dustin, I will take a look. You're the man! BTW, is your last name Bishop? There's a Colt fan on Bleacher Report that posts that has the name Dustin Bishop on there.

Nah, not me. I don't think I've ever posted on BR.

Nah, not me. I don't think I've ever posted on BR.

Ok, no prob, he sounds a bit like you on there. One of the best Colts posters on BR. Just thought that would be cool if you were a regular there. I will talk to you later, going to look at the tape now.

Randall is a physical kid who makes physical plays for his size. He has the top end speed which will help him in coverage, and he's decent in run support, not anything great but not a liability.

I just finished studying the tape, he is very physical and will break up plays. The problem is something Dustin mentioned, his terrible tackling and his technique in doing so. I cringed everytime I watched him make a tackle. He is a very solid cover safety though that is interchangeable and it shows, he can rush the qb a bit which is nice, and he is solid on special teams as well. What I like about him is that he seems to always be there and involved somehow in every play. In other words, he's a playmaker. I would like to see him force some fumbles or get some interceptions though. I feel better about him now, but I guess we'll see. He still doesn't seem like a 1st rounder. 

I just finished studying the tape, he is very physical and will break up plays. The problem is something Dustin mentioned, his terrible tackling and his technique in doing so. I cringed everytime I watched him make a tackle. He is a very solid cover safety though that is interchangeable and it shows, he can rush the qb a bit which is nice, and he is solid on special teams as well. What I like about him is that he seems to always be there and involved somehow in every play. In other words, he's a playmaker. I would like to see him force some fumbles or get some interceptions though. I feel better about him now, but I guess we'll see. He still doesn't seem like a 1st rounder. 

That's why I would take Collins over Randall if both were available at our pick. Collins WILL tackle you. And hard.

I'm kinda torn actually.....other than NE, the run D last year wasn't bad at all.,......the teams that killed the Colts were quality passing games that used the middle of the field and that's where Randall can be a big help (improved pass rush would be a big help too)

His strength is the Colts weakness.

I think that you are right about Landon's tape vis-a-vis Randall's, but NFL scouts and GMs' overall draft philosophy must be taken into consideration.  Specifically, many great college players make lesser pros because of the lack of elite physical skills.  In college, they may be above average athletes and great players, but in the pros they will struggle due to below average athletic traits (because so many freak athletes are already camped out in the NFL).  So, the idea is that you can select a great athlete and teach him to be a better football player, but you can't do it the other way around. 

If you compare Collins and Randall's workouts, you kinda see why Randall's rising: 4.46 forty, 38" vertical, 4.06 short shuttle.  Collins had  4.53/35"/4.33.  Quite frankly, given the size difference of the two players, Collins might be every bit as good an athlete as Randall.  But when you talk about the ability to cover TEs man-to-man, many teams probably covet Randall's speed and quickness.  His toughness, instincts, and aggressive playing style tells scouts that he has the right mentality to be an NFL safety, and NFL coaches can correct the flaws in his game that you've noticed on tape.  I'm not sure that Collins has the potential to be much better in coverage (he was seriously exposed in a couple of games this year), because he is just not quick and fluid enough (while Randall is).  Just my two cents, but Collins will always be a good in-the-box safety who is weak in coverage.

I like Randall... but like most have said, his tackling technique is just terrible. Although, at 29, I would be perfectly content landing him.

I prefer Landon Collins over him, but I do not think Randall will fall out of the 1st by any stretch of the imagination. I am a firm believer that technique can be taught.

I may be missing something but my take on Randell would be a poor mans Sergio brown?? He seems like a good gunner , good speed on the blitz, a guy that wants to look like he is making a effort to tackle, but gets knocked back many yards even when he does make a tackle, the passed he has defended seem to be on speed alone, I have not seen anywhere where he read the route and jumped it. For me I am very unimpressed and wouldn't spend anything higher then our late 4th round pick on him. If we want a center field safety that can not be a liability in the box a 4th round pick on Adrian Amos would be a much smarter and safer pick in my opinion. Safety's seem to be like guards the best always come in the middle rounds and the first rounders normally never live up to the hype. I would be very disappointed if Randell had his name called at pick 29. If anyone disagrees I would love to see more tape and your reasoning, I want to like this kid because I want to have some playmakers in the middle of that secondary.