Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mariota To Work Out For Chargers/Rivers Trade To Titans Speculation

krunk

Rivers in the AFC South will definitely make it tougher on the Colts, IMO. He still is an accurate QB that makes big throws and the big question will be the chemistry with his wide outs. He won't have Gates to go up and get jump balls but I am sure the Titans' coaching staff with Wisenhunt (his familiarity with Rivers from the AFC West) will be able to draw up enough things that Rivers is more than capable of executing.

Kendall Wright and Justin Hunter can become better wide outs and with 2 TEs in Delanie Walker and Anthony Fasano, Rivers has his underneath guys to move the chains. I would be concerned if I am the Colts.

Colts have it made. With him in the South or not, they're still going to sweep Tennessee every year because that team has no defense. Wisenhunt is nothing without Kurt Warner. 

Go ahead and trade him, it's not like the Titans are going to immediately become a contender over night with him. Who is he going to throw to? And have you seen their defense? They're bad. Rivers or no Rivers, they still will be swept by the Colts.

Colts don't exactly have good times when facing Rivers

But him being on the Titans may increase the chances for that to change

All kind of somewhat silly sounding stuff floating around out there right now.  The connection makes sense though.

Mariota working out

http://boltbeat.com/2015/03/13/marcus-mariota-san-diego-chargers-rumors/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=RelatedCategory

Phillip Rivers Trade Speculation Growing Legs

http://boltbeat.com/2015/03/17/philip-rivers-san-diego-chargers-titans-trade-rumors/#respond

Just sounds to be like Rivers and SD are negotiating

"Anyway, all the speculation could have been squashed real quick if Tom Telesco just would deny the possibility of the trade. He could even lie and deny about it and it would be dead.

He didn’t do such a thing. Here is what Kevin Acee said about the trade speculation.

Telesco was asked Tuesday, via text, to quash any possibility Rivers would be traded. Even when pressed, he declined."

Go ahead and trade him, it's not like the Titans are going to immediately become a contender over night with him. Who is he going to throw to? And have you seen their defense? They're bad. Rivers or no Rivers, they still will be swept by the Colts. 

I'd like to believe you Bogie, but Philip Rivers always gave INDY fits. True that was under Manning's tenure as opposed to Luck's, but you can never underestimate Philip's skill set. 

why do teams want a spread offense QB? name me one QB that ran a spread offense that was successful in the nfl

It's not that teams WANT a spread offense QB.     It's that is typically the primary choice that they have.

The spread is what most colleges and many high schools are running these days and so most of the QB's coming into the NFL,  that's what the QB knows.

Schools like Alabama,  Stanford, and Florida State are far more the exception than they are the rule about the type of offense being run.    They run pro-style offenses.     Most colleges don't.

So, if you're an NFL team,  you have to hope you can get the college spread offense QB up to speed at the NFL level.   It's hard,  but what other choice do NFL teams have?