Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3-4 or 4-3

3nk1du

I was thinking about we haven't found the right guys to play 3-4(hybrid 4-3) and we have struggled really bad to find a NT, and a partner to Freeman at ILB and our OLB aren't great, so would be too crazy to try to change to 4-3 i mean i think we don't truly have player that are just set to play 3-4 besides Chapman.

We could play something like

Adams        FA/Draft/Brown

Toler    Walden       Freeman        FA/Draft          Davis

Mathis    Jones   RJF/Hughes   Werner/Newsome

Jones is very versatile, he could play on any inside position.

Mathis, Werner and Newsome were DE (4-3), Newsome best plays are when he is playing DE.

Freeman is undersized to play 3-4.

Walden i think isn't the right fit but may do the transition well.

I think our scheme doesn't work if we don't have the anchor at NT.

Would you change to 4-3 or would you stay with 3-4(hybrid)?

I'm sure our lineup is going to look a lot different then this.

I like the 3-4 defense a lot because u can switch your looks up, move pieces around, as well as keeping the offense guessing a lot. I dont think u have to have superstars at alot of different positions besides a few. But u mostly definitely have to have a dominant NT which is first and foremost just look at how many 3-4 DE, OLB, and ILB that Haloti Ngata has gotten paid from Baltimore and then they usually end up average somewhere else. U still have to have talent to complement your NT but not overwhelming but it would be still great to have a great pass rusher and some lockdown CBs with a nice center field safety(bethea and adams would both work imo) So all in all you really only need a dominant NT, couple lockdown CBs, good pass rusher or rotation(see how many overpaid ravens olb around the league now) and a ball hawking safety and really everybody else pretty much average to above average talent to succeed in a 3-4 hybrid.

It was beatable by the best team in football.

And their defense was half decimated by injuries...

Sherman -- arm.

Thomas -- shoulder

Chancellor -- knee

Lane --  arm or leg

Avril -- leg, I think

There's 5 guys who were all hurt either leading up to the SB or in the game itself.

Their defense -- when healthy -- is terrific.

Pats are not the best in the league maybe the best at cheating other than that no.

I have been reading posts on this forum since we lost the AFC Championship game which is when I decided I wanted to try and learn more about free agency, drafting, and salary cap/contracts. I have some football knowledge (played in high school) but I am no expert. I have been able to learn quite a bit here since I started reading but I also have more questions now. Since I can't start my own thread,this seemed like a good place to ask some of my questions. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I have a limited understanding of the different base defenses (3-4, 4-3, nickel, dime) and by limited I mean I understand 3 defensive linemen vs 4 defensive linemen and dime is better for stopping the pass etc. I also know the different gaps. My knowledge of techniques is I know where the 2 technique is or 5 technique. Pretty limited.

My questions are:

1. What is a hybrid 3-4? What makes it hybrid exactly?

2. I've read on this thread where someone will say we need a 5 technique DT. I understand where the 5 technique is but I guess I don't understand any farther than that. What's special about a 5 technique DT and how does it defer from other DT's?

3. I've also read on here where a person is said to be better standing up than in a 3 point stance or vice versa. I assume we are talking about OLB'S here and if so why would they change back and fourth? If they are better standing up, why would they need to get in a 3 pt. stance?

Thanks for any input & sorry if these are stupid ?'s

Personally I think that the hybrid 3-4 gives you more options and versatility. And we wont be changing anything whilst Pags and Manusky are around.

One thing I would say about your lineup is that if we did transfer to a 4-3 then Walden would likely play strongside LB due to his size and run stopping ability, we'd need to find our own version of Lavonte David to man the weakside. Eric Kendricks would be an amazing pick in the draft if we were moving to a 4-3, he'd replace Free really well in the middle.

I don't hate the idea for us, but I'm not a big fan of the 4-3 for any team not just ours.