Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Perfect Incomplete Off-Season as of Right Now

With the limited knowledge on this years draft prospects as of right now and how the Colts cap situation will work here's my take on the perfect off-season excluding some draft picks and maybe a couple low-profile Grigson signings. 

Cut:

LaRon Landry, S

Donald Thomas, G

Trent Richardson, RB

Shaun Phillips, OLB

Re-sign:

Mike Adams

Joe Reitz

Sergio Brown

Matt Hasselbeck

Cory Redding

Andy Studebaker

Darius Bulter

Jerrell Freeman (2nd round tender)

Extension: 

Anthony Costanzo

Free Agency:

Devin McCourty

Clint Boling

Draft through Round 5:

1: Malcom Brown, DT, Texas

2: Jake Fisher, OT, Oregon

3: Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson

4: David Cobb, RB, Minn.

5: Jordan Richards, S, Stanford

Still need to figure out how to strengthen the CB position. More of a thinking out loud post. I hate the off-season.

I don't get the Jordan Richards love. The best thing I've heard scouts say about him is that at his best, he's a really good special teams player.

I think I put him in there more as a filler to address the need that the Colts need some better Safety depth. I understand what you're saying. It's a pretty weak safety class. I love Eskridge, Tartt, and Drummond Day 3. But they and other safeties are very likely gone by Round 5. So like I said, I just plugged in Richards.

I think I put him in there more as a filler to address the need that the Colts need some better Safety depth. I understand what you're saying. It's a pretty weak safety class. I love Eskridge, Tartt, and Drummond Day 3. But they and other safeties are very likely gone by Round 5. So like I said, I just plugged in Richards.

Okay. Gotchu. If you're looking for a good late safety, look up Adrian Amos. Currently he's one of the top 4 highest rated safety prospects on NFL.com. He's very underrated. I also like Ibraheim Campbell as well. Look em up if you get the chance.

"strengthen" CB position?   It is the Colts only position of strength if Butler resigns.   Outside of QB obviously.. 

How about Brandon Graham from Philly?   don't be surprised to see this happen.     Has had some knee issues but he can get it done.     I like McPhee from Baltimore also.  

"strengthen" CB position?   It is the Colts only position of strength if Butler resigns.   Outside of QB obviously.. 

How about Brandon Graham from Philly?   don't be surprised to see this happen.     Has had some knee issues but he can get it done.     I like McPhee from Baltimore also.  

I love McPhee, I mean absolutely love the dude. but I hope we don't sign either of those guys personally. IMO, if we add an OLB it needs to either be a bona fide stud through FA, or a potential star like Beasley through the draft. I just think we have enough mediocre pass rushers with guys like Walden and Werner. We don't know how good Mathis will be coming off his injury either so all the more reason to add a guy capable of double digit sacks. I agree on the CB issue. The only thing we need there is a decent number 4 for depth.

yep, but just ONE elite threat on the edge will make a lot of average players...     above average threats.      Numbers game.     Indy needs a stud on the outside.      BADLY.

I love McPhee, I mean absolutely love the dude. but I hope we don't sign either of those guys personally. IMO, if we add an OLB it needs to either be a bona fide stud through FA, or a potential star like Beasley through the draft. I just think we have enough mediocre pass rushers with guys like Walden and Werner. We don't know how good Mathis will be coming off his injury either so all the more reason to add a guy capable of double digit sacks. I agree on the CB issue. The only thing we need there is a decent number 4 for depth.

OK here's my perfect offseason in a nutshell that I could see happening. Sign Wisneiski, Iupati, McCourty, and Dockett (after he's inevitably cut). Draft Shelton 1st, Perryman 2nd, then trade up a little for Coleman. Our O Line would be fixed, we'd have a better run game, and our D would be much improved all over. Especially the D Line.

I like this...

I would add a veteran FA at WR...

Our group is young and largely unproven outside of TY (who will get bracketed every week). I would look to sign Shorts, Maclin, or at least bring back Nicks.

If Reggie could gain 80% of his pre-injury form, he'd be the perfect guy...

Otherwise it's a good plan, IMO...

As long as we make Landry a June 1st cut, those four players, assuming do to the suspension of TR we get his 3.2M cap hit back, we will get 9.2M back towards the cap. I also think Vick will be cut, too many injuries, and I think RJF either needs to take a lower salary or we let him go. He is not even close to worth a cap hit of over 6M, and we save almost another 5M towards the cap if we cut him. We can find a good replacement for that money. His contract, along with Landry and Walden's who I felt were too high. Walden is the only one I believe has done a pretty good job. I also would let Josh Cribbs go without hesitation. He hurts us in the post season. We save another 1M towards the cap. Add those 3 to the four you have, and we have approximately an extra 15M to use how we see fit.

Really like the Fisher pick, and I would like to get Ajayi instead of Cobb, but if we pick a RB later and Cobb is still there, it would be a great pick. FA I love the Clint Boling pick. Put him with Hemmer, our new CFL pickup, and our line already looks a lot stronger. I would love to have McCourty, but he is going to demand top dollar, and that means around 9M/yr. I think Rahim Moore from the Broncos at around 4-5M would be a much better option.