Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jaelen Strong (WR-ASU)

Thoughts on his skills and his potential as a Colt?

I am from AZ and am an ASU Sun Devils fan, so it's easy for me to want this to happen. Strong is a top receiver and can only get better. Nice run after catch ability. He's a fighter when going for the ball. Check out a few of his grabs. I just think he's impressive and would be a great addition to any team, but would prefer to have him in Indianapolis.

Most everyone who posts here on the draft page of this website is a fan of Jaelen Strong,  especially me.

But, there are several factors in play about whether the Colts will even draft him.

1.    He's really good and may not fall to the Colts' pick at #26.

2.    We have other more pressing needs in the first round -- namely OL and Defense that may mean we pass on Strong even if he's there.    

It's very early in the process.   The draft is 4 months away.... a lot can and will happen between now and then.  

But Colts' fans here will be watching Strong closely.     We're fans of his...   and many would like to see him catching passes from Andrew Luck for many years to come.....

Most everyone who posts here on the draft page of this website is a fan of Jaelen Strong,  especially me.

But, there are several factors in play about whether the Colts will even draft him.

1.    He's really good and may not fall to the Colts' pick at #26.

2.    We have other more pressing needs in the first round -- namely OL and Defense that may mean we pass on Strong even if he's there.    

It's very early in the process.   The draft is 4 months away.... a lot can and will happen between now and then.  

But Colts' fans here will be watching Strong closely.     We're fans of his...   and many would like to see him catching passes from Andrew Luck for many years to come.....

If he is the BPA when we pick, I don't see him getting passed up.

I can't see us taking a WR in the first round or during the first 2 days really unless it is a situation where someone falls and we just can't say no. We have so many other areas of need. The guy I like that doesn't seem to get much hype is Montgomery maybe he falls.  I really hope we somehow get Collins in the first. The O Line has to be fixed.

I can't see us taking a WR in the first round or during the first 2 days really unless it is a situation where someone falls and we just can't say no. We have so many other areas of need. The guy I like that doesn't seem to get much hype is Montgomery maybe he falls.  I really hope we somehow get Collins in the first. The O Line has to be fixed.

As a Stanford guy it gives me no pleasure to say don't get to swept up in Montgomery.   He's a bit a project.

A first round guy athletically speaking,  but the rest of his game needs work.    A lot of work.   Catching the ball,  running routs,  reading defenses,  he needs a lot of work.    Was a RB in HS and is still learning the position.

I'd be beyond shocked if he went in the first round.   But some team may fall in love with his freakish athleticism.

He feels very 2nd day to me (2nd and 3rd round) at this point....    don't see him getting past the top-100 picks.

As a Stanford guy it gives me no pleasure to say don't get to swept up in Montgomery.   He's a bit a project.

A first round guy athletically speaking,  but the rest of his game needs work.    A lot of work.   Catching the ball,  running routs,  reading defenses,  he needs a lot of work.    Was a RB in HS and is still learning the position.

I'd be beyond shocked if he went in the first round.   But some team may fall in love with his freakish athleticism.

He feels very 2nd day to me (2nd and 3rd round) at this point....    don't see him getting past the top-100 picks.

I was kind of hoping for day 3. I hope he doesn't blow up in the 40 at the combine. He has the size and strength to be very good. He could take over on ST's day one. I think you are right he is late day 2 but I was hoping he would fall out of the top 100.

He hasn't put up eye popping numbers this year. He missed the bowl game due to a shoulder injury. It is a strong draft for WR's. He could fall out of the top 100 especially if he doesn't have a strong 40 time at the combine. I love him if he is sitting there in the 4th. I know dream on.

As far as the work. I know what we are dealing with I watch a lot of West Coast ball being in AK and Stanford play the Irish every year so I have watched him pretty consistently.  He strikes me as the kind of kid that is going to put in the work and be successful where ever he ends up. He had his problems against the Irish this year but he typically makes a wow play to make up for it. You can see the talent is there.

Strong isn't going to be around after the first 50 are off the board. I just don't think Strong in a horseshoe is realistic. I don't see us taking a WR #1 and I believe that is the only chance we have at him.

I am for BPA but I hope that is O Line(Collins) and a couple of play makers on D the first 2 days.

Does anyone know where our scouts have been in regards to playoff and bowl games? I know at one point there was a link that kept we could click on that showed where colts scouts were going to be in a given week but I have not seen that updated

Does anyone know where our scouts have been in regards to playoff and bowl games? I know at one point there was a link that kept we could click on that showed where colts scouts were going to be in a given week but I have not seen that updated

Those stories are from NFL.com...

They're called "Scouting the Scouts"

The website has links for only two major bowl games under that heading,  the two big ones, and according to the link,  there were only 5 teams at one Bowl game and only 9 teams at the other.    The Colts' scouts were not at either game.

Don't know what to read into that -- if anything.     Notice very few teams were at either game.

Perhaps scouts will simply view those games on tape and are waiting for the all-star games when they'll be flooding the practices all week and not just the game, plus the combine, plus the Pro Days workouts.

Scouting season will be in full peak very soon!         :thmup: