Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Couple thoughts...

trisca01

Our offensive line was pretty bad today (especially GC) - but why on earth were we not adjusting to the aggressive blitz? Luck and Pep should have been dialing up quick throws (slants, screens, short passes) to slow them down a little.

I have only watched the game once but, aside for some complete blown coverages, the corners had some tight coverage initially for most of the game but Ben had way too long to throw the ball. A cornerback can't cover the receiver for 4+ seconds.

Our offensive line was pretty bad today (especially GC) - but why on earth were we not adjusting to the aggressive blitz? Luck and Pep should have been dialing up quick throws (slants, screens, short passes) to slow them down a little.

I have only watched the game once but, aside for some complete blown coverages, the corners had some tight coverage initially for most of the game but Ben had way too long to throw the ball. A cornerback can't cover the receiver for 4+ seconds.

You know, when your QB throws 300+ yards, 3 TDs, when O gathers 34 points in a game, not necessarily the O is to blame. Yes they gave up a lot of blitzes and Luck was sacked a couple of times (and suffered at least 11 hits), they were far from perfect still they kept the team in game.

D is more to blame for allowing 51 points and miles. They're taking the blame themselves too.

You know, when your QB throws 300+ yards, 3 TDs, when O gathers 34 points in a game, not necessarily the O is to blame. Yes they gave up a lot of blitzes and Luck was sacked a couple of times (and suffered at least 11 hits), they were far from perfect still they kept the team in game.

D is more to blame for allowing 51 points and miles. They're taking the blame themselves too.

Defense was bad but they only gave up 44, 7 points was from a pick six. 

The offense deserves as much of the blame for the loss as the D.  They had their moments but they were wildly inconsistent and still to reactionary.

Defense was bad but they only gave up 44, 7 points was from a pick six. 

The offense deserves as much of the blame for the loss as the D.  They had their moments but they were wildly inconsistent and still to reactionary.

A fair point but I still put a large shoulder of blame on that pick 6 on Nicks. Very sloppy telegraphed route. 

Offense sure had its share of mistakes, but when you put up 34 points you feel good about your chances of winning. Take away the pick 6 and safety, the defense still gave up 42 points. That is unacceptable.

It is unacceptable by the D and unacceptable by the offense to give away 9 points.  However, the fact we were still in it until Luck's INT in the end zone makes me feel good about our team.  We got dominated, suffered some injuries, and we still hung around til the end.

Luck will get those turnovers turned around (hard to really blame him for the safety, Nicks was partially at fault with the pick 6, and Luck made a pretty poor choice/throw at the end going towards TY).  I think a lot of teams in the league would have given up at some point in this game -- the fact that we still challenged them and had a chance until the last 3-4 minutes makes me proud to be a fan of this team.  Our coaching staff is good enough and our players are talented enough where I am talented that we'll fix our mistakes and won't let this happen again.  Our real test, IMO, will be vs. NE, as Brady is getting hot and he's got a couple of very good TE's -- I kind of expected Brown to get his yards yesterday (especially when Vontae went out), but I was very concerned with all the yards Heath Miller was racking up due to blown coverage/miscommunication in the middle of the field.  I think we'll be just fine, though.  Fingers crossed to Vontae and Reggie coming back healthy by return from the bye week!