Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why the hate on Whalen?

camcolts2621

I've noticed in the chat rooms on Gameday that everyone is dissing Griff Whalen on his return abilities... If you ask me...

Whalen is not only a solid returner (both punt and kick off), but he is there whenever you need him if someone (like Reggie Wayne) gets hurt. He's Mr. reliable in my opinion. Think of another guy that you would want to return.....Think about it. That other guy is going to be there for just those things (KR & PR). When you have a guy like Whalen, you have a guy that is reliable and that can step up at any time. He's also fifth in the league in KR yards... not bad for a guy that most consider "slow" 

Just from what i've seen in the last 7 games... yeah there's that one fumble, but he made it up the following week and you could tell he was much improved. In my opinion, we keep him there, he's going to break one soon, I can sense it.

agree

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like some pick the flavor of the week to rag on. One week it will be Fleener. Next it is TRich. Next it is Whalen. I cant understand why some must whine and complain about something every week. The is no perfect game or player. These players are not robots and this is not a game played on a X-Box or PS3. It blows my mind sometimes when I read the comments about players and coaches. What is it with this point the finger at somebody non stop?

i think some fans that do this do so for the purpose of showing how "smart" they are........see i told you so.

when i find myself tempted to do this i think Tim Jennings the poster child for a Colt whipping boy.....who went to the Bears and taught us all a lesson.....look at his #'s

Some of ya all should watch the Return units a little closer, Many times 7-8 opposing special team players come down the field untouched like our special team players are scared to block...Im all for getting a more explosive returner if it would help.......It would not however  until some of our special teamers on Return Game find there Man Cards

I agree, as I noticed this as well.  I would also add that most of Griff's long returns have been called back due to holding calls.

I must admit there is not much in this post that I agree with.

• Hester et al may be faster than Whalen but their decision making is not any faster.
  • It's because the ball didn't hit at the 17ish yard line it hit at about the 10 yard line, that is not a punt that should be fielded.
  • A return for a TD is not any more back breaking to a team than any other TD.  Look at the Colts SB win, Hester took the opening kickoff for a TD.  that did not quite break the back of the Colts in that game, as just one example.
  • Whalen is not a below average cog.  He is an above average cog.  If a chance to upgrade the position happens then by all means the Colts should take it but an upgrade has to be in decision making and ball security not just speed.

I think your assesment is sound.  Ball security and decision making are first and foremost, although I'd look to get that out of a guy with speed as a first priority before I go with someone like Griff.  If I can't get the guy with the track speed, then I'm good somewhere in the middle with someone similar to Julian Edleman.  I don't even think people would be complaining if Griff was somewhere around Edleman in terms of speed and quickness in the punt return game. 

What type of TD in that situation would not be back breaking, demoralizing and critical to the outcome of the game?

You are right, any type of TD in that situation would be back breaking, demoralizing and critical to the outcome of the game.  However, there are some games where teams just can't move the ball offensively on each other -- a punt return for a TD is a rapid and major swing of momentum in that case, and it may be more likely for a big return than points from offense.

A punt return for a TD is generally unexpected and does have the ability to majorly swing a game, especially if it is a knock-down-drag-out type of match up where the ball isn't being moved on offense.  Any points are obviously going to play a role in the outcome of a game, and having points directly from a return or indirectly (e.g., putting the ball in position for a FG or TD on the return in a game where the offenses are not getting you in that position) is a major bonus.  As of right now, our offense has shown the ability to move the ball and score points from pretty much anywhere on the field, and having a reliable, sure-handed returner has been enough -- but having a punt returner that can take it to the house would be a major plus.

Ok, so it seems to me that you are at best, saying that this guy is mediocre when he simply "does his job". I dont think a prospective Championship team should settle for mediocrity. Do you?

A few things:

1. Don't try to put words in my mouth.  You lack several characteristics to be able to do that.
  2. Why not address my point?  How is it that his mistakes contribute to a loss (or possible lead to a loss) but when he does well not contribute to a win.
  3. Like I said, it seems that the OP is not the only one that sees what he wants to see.

You are right, any type of TD in that situation would be back breaking, demoralizing and critical to the outcome of the game.  However, there are some games where teams just can't move the ball offensively on each other -- a punt return for a TD is a rapid and major swing of momentum in that case, and it may be more likely for a big return than points from offense.

A punt return for a TD is generally unexpected and does have the ability to majorly swing a game, especially if it is a knock-down-drag-out type of match up where the ball isn't being moved on offense.  Any points are obviously going to play a role in the outcome of a game, and having points directly from a return or indirectly (e.g., putting the ball in position for a FG or TD on the return in a game where the offenses are not getting you in that position) is a major bonus.  As of right now, our offense has shown the ability to move the ball and score points from pretty much anywhere on the field, and having a reliable, sure-handed returner has been enough -- but having a punt returner that can take it to the house would be a major plus.

I guess if the same thing is going to be repeated, I will just repeat the same thing.  A punt return for a TD is not any more demoralizing than any other TD in that situation.  And having a faster returner offers the Colts nothing additional at this point of the season.

Let me see if I can show that a lot of your are putting way too much credence on punt returns, especially punt returns for a TD.  Devin Hester has more punt returns for a TD than anyone in NFL history and he has long been considered the premiere returner for all 9 years he has been in the league.  In 9 years he has 276 punt returns for 3392 yards.  He even got a 100 speed rating in Madden.  And in 9 years he has 14 punt returns for a TD... 1.56 TDs per year.  So you will forgive me if I think you are placing too much value on a returner that can "take it to the house."

Whalen made a catch toward the end of the game that was spectacular. He when up to get a laser that Luck drilled over the middle and snagged it. 

To be honest, I would like to see more sets with Hilton, Moncrief, and Whalen. TY gives us the deep threat, Whalen plays the possession role very well, and Moncrief is a little of both.