Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alex Boone

Bbswatching

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because my eyes (not a trained NFL scout, but used for 30 years watching football) has told me that Mewhort is a top tier offensive lineman. He looks to be every bit the real deal.

I watched every play from the Jets game in slow motion last night, and Mewhort has a physical dominance that really stands out.

It is my judgment that Thornton is not on the current skill level of Mewhort, and Mewhort is only 1 preseason game in, so he will only get better.

I believe that Mewhort has All-Pro potential.

i believe

You want to believe that so you are seeing whatever you want

Not a sensible move for us, IMO. He wants a starter's contract, probably top ten guard money for 4-5 years. No one knows what shape he's in, because he hasn't participated in the Niners offseason program. The Niners probably want at least a third rounder for him. 

The Colts have put a lot of trust in their young guards, and anticipate that they will be the starters in the future, and for several years. I could see starting Boone over Mewhort, but it's hard to know whether the guy is actually ready to play, or how long he'll need to get ready, and with that kind of uncertainty, it's hard to project him as a better option right now. 

If there's any spot we need a reserve at, it's tackle or center. Reitz looked good on Thursday, but Nixon is down for about a month, John is on IR, and Hall looked terrible. Holmes is now hurt for probably a month, and we're down to two rookies and a scrub reserve that can't make anyone's final roster, and was a free agent two days ago. Boone is a guard. He played some tackle earlier in his career, but never center. Good player, but not the right fit for us right now, and too expensive.

I wouldn't be all that mad at throwing 4 mil a year at him- Double his pay and see if he likes that. We've definitely spent 4 mil a year in worse ways. 

Go to San Fran and say "Hey, we're going to immediately restructure this guy's deal, so it's going to cost us more than you to keep him, but we will take him off your hands for a 2nd/3rd round pick" (We've wasted first rounders on lesser potential in the past) and get a solid anchor to take over in the center. He's immediately an upgrade over EITHER of our guards, and should Cherilus or Costanzo go down, he's veteran insurance at the T spot too. 

If he fits in our line scheme and we can get him for a 3, or stretch for a 2, I'm ok with it.

The guy went undrafted due to concerns over alcohol abuse and generally being a dumd a$#. He has had 1 good year I would not be giving up a high draft pick on this guy or anything else. We need a G that is for sure but this cat isn't it.

According the Pro Football Focus, he rankedicon1.png as the third best guard in the entire league with a plus-22.9 in 2012. 2013 wasn’t the same story. In 2013 he was 40th out of all guards with a minus-2.1 rating. That is a substantial drop off.

We need to build our O Line but not like this a roll of the dice I would have rather rented Incoginito for a year. 

I still think Holmes is the key if he is the answer at C all of a sudden we aren't in such bad shape. He looked good for his first  7 snaps. We will get there but I don't think trading a pick for this guy is the answer then what is the knucklehead want to get paid? He is a guard and not a great one last year.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/05/28/san-francisco-49ers-shouldnt-cave-in-to-alex-boones-contract-demands/