Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Positives and Negatives Colts Vs Jets

Rich Cannon

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Walden play you're talking about was the read option. So that's both good and bad. Walden still crashing too hard to pick up option plays, but as we played more read option teams last year, we started using a scrape/exchange that worked really well, with Jerrell Freeman responsible for backside containment. That's better because he's more athletic than Walden. 

I'm still watching the game, so I can't say anything about Newsome setting the edge yet. And Werner was mostly at Rush, so the responsibility is a little different.

agree about the read option and the struggles but then improvement last year.  and yeah Werner was mostly at Rush and the responsibilities are a bit different, was just saying I thought he played his responsibilities well.  

I agree.  Walden looked shaky to start out. He failed to set the edge on one of the big runs but then made a play on the next play.  I thought Werner did well on the edge.  Newsome struggled and it was clear he still needs to gain some more strength, but that's to be expected.  He was one of the smaller DE/OLB drafted.  The NFL draft profile listed him at 6'3 and 247 lbs.

Yeah Vick got a few good runs on us because we didn't set the edge. If we don't, read option teams are going to give us problems, like Pryor did last season in the opener against the Raiders.