Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Delano Howell speaks on Colts safety situation

TKnight24

So.... he was injured a lot in college as well?

I don't have anything against Howell and if he's the starter I hope he plays lights out but from the limited playing time he had last year he really doesn't seem to be anything special.  He had a couple of nice hits as the ball hit the receivers hands but other than that he seemed to often be late reading and reacting to the play.

He did say something I completely agree with, "Trust is earned over an extended period of time, not just through flashes here and there. "  I think a lot of fans on here should do the same, a player has one good hit or one good catch and so many are ready to move them into the starting line up and proclaim them to be a future star.

Now I will end this with a disclaimer that should not need to be on a message board but so many on here jump and anyone that disagrees.... I clearly admit that the information I use to form my opinions is vastly different and greatly less than the information the coaches and front office use.  If they see something in this player that makes them think they can compete for the starting spot then great, I will defer to their judgment until proven otherwise.

So.... he was injured a lot in college as well?

I don't have anything against Howell and if he's the starter I hope he plays lights out but from the limited playing time he had last year he really doesn't seem to be anything special. He had a couple of nice hits as the ball hit the receivers hands but other than that he seemed to often be late reading and reacting to the play.

He did say something I completely agree with, "Trust is earned over an extended period of time, not just through flashes here and there. " I think a lot of fans on here should do the same, a player has one good hit or one good catch and so many are ready to move them into the starting line up and proclaim them to be a future star.

Now I will end this with a disclaimer that should not need to be on a message board but so many on here jump and anyone that disagrees.... I clearly admit that the information I use to form my opinions is vastly different and greatly less than the information the coaches and front office use. If they see something in this player that makes them think they can compete for the starting spot then great, I will defer to their judgment until proven otherwise.

They were saying the yellow practice jersey was to remind him to not go full speed in practice and hit his teammates like it was a game, not because he was injured often in college. Your opinion is fine and I actually don't disagree with a lot of what you say! I'm not sold on Howell at all yet! He is basically a Landry Jr I feel and plays hard but won't get a full season in.

On my TV, he showed up big when his number was called, and I remember his play was surprising, in the good way. I also think that no draft pick or free agent move being made, speaks volumes to expectations within the coaching brain trust. Finally, those are the words of a very smart person. Makes it easy to see why he attended Stanford. I'm more worried about pass rush then safety at this early stage.

The question on my mind is, can Landry and Howell stay healthy?  The Colts obviously saw what they wanted in Howell, but he was injured a lot in college and now in the pros.  Landry was hurt last season.  Hopefully the Colts have found quality players in the FA's they picked.  

The question on my mind is, can Landry and Howell stay healthy? The Colts obviously saw what they wanted in Howell, but he was injured a lot in college and now in the pros. Landry was hurt last season. Hopefully the Colts have found quality players in the FA's they picked.

Well, Landry was leading the NFL in tackles before the injury. He just never was the same after he came back unfortunately :(

I'm not sold on Howell at all yet! He is basically a Landry Jr I feel and plays hard but won't get a full season in.

I am sold on both as far as talent; however like you, I am also concerned about the injuries. If they both stay healthy then I feel comfortable they could get the job done. If we lose one or both of them in the season then we walk into the unknown. This is why I believe that one of the veteran safeties we brought in (Colt or Corey) will make the final 53.

I am sold on both as far as talent; however like you, I am also concerned about the injuries. If they both stay healthy then I feel comfortable they could get the job done. If we lose one or both of them in the season then we walk into the unknown. This is why I believe that one of the veteran safeties we brought in (Colt or Corey) will make the final 53.

Agreed! If both of them get hurt we could be I trouble! That's the main thing I'm worried about. And maybe a UDFA can make the roster as well just like Howell did when he came in the league! We are going to need plenty of depth. Of Landry and Howell do stay healthy though it will be pretty to watch them out on the field

They were saying the yellow practice jersey was to remind him to not go full speed in practice and hit his teammates like it was a game, not because he was injured often in college. Your opinion is fine and I actually don't disagree with a lot of what you say! I'm not sold on Howell at all yet! He is basically a Landry Jr I feel and plays hard but won't get a full season in.

Could be, but I read this sentence differently, “We actually put a yellow jersey on him in practice to remind him that he’s too hurt to create contact," 

To me it sounds like he was hurt and they didn't want him going full speed in practice so he could heal.

Could be, but I read this sentence differently, “We actually put a yellow jersey on him in practice to remind him that he’s too hurt to create contact,"

To me it sounds like he was hurt and they didn't want him going full speed in practice so he could heal.

Then I read this... “Just to remind him to back off, because there’s only one way he knows how to play — full speed, face first.”

haha I'm sure it is probably both maybe he was hurt a couple times and he still wore it when healthy.

Then I read this... “Just to remind him to back off, because there’s only one way he knows how to play — full speed, face first.”

haha I'm sure it is probably both maybe he was hurt a couple times and he still wore it when healthy.

Okay.  Yes back-off so he doesn't hurt himself more.

But it doesn't really matter.  I must say I do like players that play full speed all the time and it's good to hear (or read) a former coach say that.