Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Team Draft Grades

Arizona Cardinals

The Cardinals addressed their needs by getting Bucannon early in the draft, and got Niklas and the Martin in the following rounds. The value in their picks wasn’t great, but they addressed their needs and that’s important.

Grade: B

Atlanta Falcons

The Falcons had one of the best drafts out of any team. They got Jake Matthews early, which was good value, and it fixed their biggest need. They then got Ra’shede Hageman, which is also good value, and kept getting value picks in the later rounds.

Grade: A-

Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens were one of the better teams in the draft. Their first 3 round picks were all great value picks and should help their team immediately (and even start). They got good value picks with every one of their selections.

Grade: A

Buffalo Bills

The Bills made a big splash for Sammy Watkins, but had to give up a 2015 1st round pick, which is tough. However, they got good value picks in Kouandjio, Brown and Richardson, but again losing that 2015 1st round pick hurts them a lot.

Carolina Panthers

The Panthers clearly understood their needs and went after them early. They got Benjamin with their 1st round pick, who could be a great player. Getting Ealy was great value in the 2nd round, and Trai Turner could start right away.

Grade: B+

Chicago Bears

The Bears’ draft was a bit underwhelming early on, but they made some very good value picks in the later rounds (Carey, Vereen and Fales). However, Fuller wasn’t the greatest pick in the 1st round, and Ego Ferguson was a reach.

Grade: B-

Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals had an unspectacular draft. They made some nice picks, but nothing was off the charts. Dennard in the 1st round was good value and helps a need, but Jeremy Hill and Will Clarke are not great value picks (from where they were).

Cleveland Browns

The Browns had the best draft out of anyone. They got two great picks in Manziel and Gilbert in the 1st round. They got Bitonio in the 2nd and Desir in the 4th, both of which are great picks. On top of that, they have an extra 1st round pick in 2015.

Grade: A+

Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys scared many with their 16th pick, but picking Martin was the right and smart move. Getting Lawrence in the 2nd round was also smart, but besides that, the Cowboys didn’t do much damage in the draft, and were quite average.

Denver Broncos

The Broncos made two smart picks in Bradley Roby (1st round) and Cody Latimer (2nd round). Both are impact players on both sides of the ball. Outside of that, they did very little to help their team, although Barrow (5th round pick) has potential.

Detroit Lions

The Lions made smart picks in this draft that filled needs and weren’t reaches. Ebron was good pick at 10th overall, but Van Noy was great value with their 2nd round pick. Getting Caraun Reid in the 6th round was a fantastic pick as well.

Green Bay Packers

The majority of the Packers’ picks were good picks, and those players should have immediate impacts. They got Clinton Dix in the 1st, and that helps a big need, and got two receivers in Adams and Abbrederis that should keep Rodgers happy.

Houston Texans

The Texans definitely had one of the better drafts. Clowney at #1 was too easy, but what their draft great was getting Savage and Nix in the 4th round. Both could have impacts on this team. The majority of their selections were good value picks.

Indianapolis Colts

The Colts didn’t have many picks to begin with, but did the best with what they had. They focused on fixing their offensive line (Mewhort in the 2nd, John in the 7th) and got a long-term impact player in Moncrief. They didn’t have many picks, but they did well with what they had.

Grade: C+

Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jaguars made big strides in this draft. Getting Bortles early was good, although they could’ve traded down. However, getting Allen Robinson and Marqise Lee helps that receiving core and gives Bortles two good options to throw to.

Kansas City Chiefs

The Chiefs made some smart picks in the later rounds in Murray and Duvarney-Tardif, but Ford and Gaines with their first 2 picks wasn’t that smart as they weren’t great value and didn’t help their needs. They didn’t make much progress this draft.

Grade: C

Miami Dolphins

I came away baffled by the Dolphins’ draft. They made a big reach for Ja’Wuan James and didn’t make any impactful selections. Landry in the 2nd and Turner in the 3rd were both decent value picks, but outside of that, they didn’t do much.

Grade: C-

Minnesota Vikings

The Vikings were trading all over the place, and it worked out in the end. They got two starters in Bridgewater (yes, he’ll start) and Barr, but getting Yankey and Exum in the middle rounds were very smart picks. They had one of the better drafts.

New England Patriots

The Patriots addressed their immediate needs and their longterm needs. They got Easley in the 1st, which could be a great pick, and getting Garoppolo in the 2nd round was a great long-term pick. Cam Fleming and Bryan Stork were also smart picks.

New Orleans Saints

The Saints picked my favorite player in the draft, Brandin Cooks, and at the same time filling a big need while also getting good value for him. Jean-Baptiste in the 2nd round was also a good pick, but outside of that, they didn’t do much.

New York Giants

I thought the Giants got some good players, but they made several reaches in the draft. They drafted Beckham too early, and the same with Richburg. Both shouldn’t have gone that high, but getting Williams in the 4th was very smart. Outside of that, it was not a very impressive draft from the Giants.

New York Jets

The Jets quietly had one of the better drafts. Calvin Pryor in the 1st was great, but Jace Amaro in the 2nd was fantastic! Shaq Evans and Dakota Dozier in the middle rounds are also good picks, and on top of that, they got Tajh Boyd in the 6th. This was a very solid draft for the Jets.

Oakland Raiders

This was one of the better Raiders drafts I’ve ever seen. Khalil Mack and Derek Carr in the first 2 rounds gives them two long-term impact players on each side of the ball. Gabe Jackson and Keith McGill are two great picks in the 4th round.

Philadelphia Eagles

I was not very impressed by the Eagles’ draft. Marcus Smith was a big reach in the 1st round, and they didn’t need to get Huff in the 3rd round after getting Matthews in the 2nd. Reynolds was a good value pick in the 5th, but overall, it wasn’t a good draft.

Grade: C

Pittsburgh Steelers

The Steelers made some great picks in this draft. Shazier and Tuitt were both solid picks in the 1st round and 2nd round (respectively), and getting Bryant in the 4th was a good pick too. McCullers could be a good long-term impact player.

San Diego Chargers

The Chargers made two smart picks in Jason Verrett (1st round) and Jeremiah Attaochu (2nd Round), but outside of that, they didn’t do much damage. They made a few reaches, but could still get good impacts from Verrett and Attaochu.

San Francisco 49ers

The 49ers had soooooo many picks, and they did well with almost all of them. Their best picks were Jimmie Ward (1st round), Marcus Martin (3rd round) and Chris Borland (3rd round), and have a long-term player in Brandon Thomas. This was an incredible draft and puts them up there with the Browns.

Grade: A+

Seattle Seahawks

I did not like what the Seahawks did. They reached for their first 2 picks (Richardson and Britt especially), but also didn’t get great value with any of their middle round picks. However, there is potential with Richardson and Marsh.

Grade: C-

St. Louis Rams

The Rams had a fantastic draft. They bolstered their already great defensive line by getting Aaron Donald, and got themselves a great right tackle in Greg Robinson. The also made great picks in Joyney and Mason, both of which are impact players.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Bucs made a lot of good picks for their offense, first by getting big bodied receiver Mike Evans and then with big tight end Austin Seferian Jenkins. They made some decent picks with their remaining selections (Herron in the 6th was good).

Tennessee Titans

The Titans had a pretty good draft. Lewan at 11th overall is a great value pick, and helps a longterm need, but there were better options on the board that address their immediate needs. Sankey in the 2nd and Jones in the 3rd were two good picks that help their biggest needs, but it’s Mettenberger and Williamson that make their draft.

Washington Redskins

The Redskins only had their 1st pick in the 2nd round, but they made good use of their picks. Murphy and Moses were both good value picks at where they were selected (2nd and 3rd rounds respectively), and Breeland and Seastrunk were both great value picks in the rounds they were selected in.

I think you have the 49ers graded too high. As they do every year they pick good players, but a lot of their picks don't make sense. They reached a bit on Ward and the fact that they'll just have him playing nickel mostly is a waste.

The Carlos Hyde pick was also a head scratcher. Marcus Lattimore is finally healthy, but then you also have Kendall Hunter sitting number 2 on the depth chart. Hyde is an every down back but that's going to be a crowded back field.

Marcus Martin was a good pick. The Bruce Ellington pick was a head scratcher because they traded for Stevie Johnson and also have Quinton Patton. If you were going to take a receiver to help Kap, they should have got one in the 1st or 2nd round where the elite ones were

Personally I'd give their draft a B-. Great players, but I'm not sure they'll contribute as much as they could on another team.

Dolphins were in a tough spot losing two starters off their O line (Incognito, Martin) and had to get a body in as a replacement.  The Big 4 OT, all expected to be top 20 picks, were gone as expected by the time Miami was up at #19.  So still having to get O line, who do they pick?  the next tier is all similar and projected very late 1st round or early 2nd.  To me, they made the right choice. I would argue Bitonio is possibly better suited to be a guard, Moses was unimpressive at combine and needs more strength, less flab, and also maybe better suited for guard. Kouandjio was unprepared, slow, and tight at combine and has a knee issue.  James teammate, Richardson, had a poor combine and has injury history, with microfracture the most concerning. James was rising up the boards leading up to the draft, unlike the others. This could be a sleeper pick and the best choice they had, and James will most likely continue to play right tackle in the NFL, as he did at Tennessee.  Phins filled a need, and maybe didn't stretch as much as folks think in doing so.  Time will tell the truth here.  But If they "had" to go O line in round 1, Phins choice would appear to me to be the safest and most productive choice of those still on the board.  I fairly sure I don't think James would be there for Miami's second round pick.  Neither was Bitonio or Kouandjio.  If they went BPA in round 1, they would be stuck with Morgan Moses in round 2, another reach.  So I give Miami a C+, with chance for B-.

Philly had an excellent draft. Marcus Smith (not a reach at all), Jordan Mathews and Josh Huff alone is quite a haul imo. Throw in Taylor Hart, Watkins, Ed Reynolds. I would have wet myself if the Colts had the draft.