Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots Sign Revis to one year 12 mil deal

amfootball

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/03/patriots_sign_cornerback_darrelle_revis.html

It is like Christmas here in NE! :rock:  :cheer2:  :cheer:

We got Revis and on a one year deal to boot! This makes the Talib deal look even worse given Elway gave the oft injured CB 26 mil guaranteed over 6 years while the Pats get Revis on alone year deal for 4 MIL less then he was making in TB. So good. Just so good. According to Rich Cimini, Revis wanted to come to NE as early as last season as he wanted to get back at the Jets. I love the drama. Jets fans are crying today and the Pats just took a huge step forward to getting back level with the Broncos. Need to add some WRs now and a pass rusher.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/03/patriots_sign_cornerback_darrelle_revis.html

It is like Christmas here in NE! :rock:  :cheer2:  :cheer:

We got Revis and on a one year deal to boot! This makes the Talib deal look even worse given Elway gave the oft injured CB 26 mil guaranteed over 6 years while the Pats get Revis on alone year deal for 4 MIL less then he was making in TB. So good. Just so good. According to Rich Cimini, Revis wanted to come to NE as early as last season as he wanted to get back at the Jets. I love the drama. Jets fans are crying today and the Pats just took a huge step forward to getting back level with the Broncos. Need to add some WRs now and a pass rusher.

You're happy it's only a one-year deal?  Why wouldn't the Patroits want him for more than 1 year?

You're happy it's only a one-year deal?  Why wouldn't the Patroits want him for more than 1 year?

They can franchise next year for $10mil. That is about the window Brady has left to win a ring. I didn't want multiple years and a lot guaranteed. To be honest, I am shocked Revis signed a one year deal.

They can franchise next year for $10mil. That is about the window Brady has left to win a ring. I didn't want multiple years and a lot guaranteed. To be honest, I am shocked Revis signed a one year deal.

Are you sure there is no language in that contract that prevents the Pats from applying the tag?

Football discussion is second to none. I am a member of several non-Pats forums but this one is among my favs.

Fair enough!

With regards to your original post, I must agree that signing him to an initial one year deal is a really smart move. I think Denver are winners too though and I think they're still the team to beat in the AFC.

Fair enough!

With regards to your original post, I must agree that signing him to an initial one year deal is a really smart move. I think Denver are winners too though and I think they're still the team to beat in the AFC.

Yes, Denver is still the team for sure. But it is March 13. Long way to go in FA and the draft. Revis signing evens things up a bit.

Football discussion is second to none. I am a member of several non-Pats forums but this one is among my favs.

Ha you're not from around here are you? :P 

Good signing for you guys talent wise certainly, not sure if I'd be happy with the drama that comes with him but it's only a 1 year deal at a decent price for what you're getting. 

Ha you're not from around here are you? :P

Good signing for you guys talent wise certainly, not sure if I'd be happy with the drama that comes with him but it's only a 1 year deal at a decent price for what you're getting. 

Drama is less with Revis then Talib and Revis will play the games.

Talib actually seemed quite calm at NE, it might have done him good all round to stay there, but hey it's not like Colorado holds any temptations to lead him astray ;) 

Drama with Revis I meant with his holdouts/pay me every season it seems. 

Talib actually seemed quite calm at NE, it might have done him good all round to stay there, but hey it's not like Colorado holds any temptations to lead him astray ;)

Drama with Revis I meant with his holdouts/pay me every season it seems. 

Revis is on a one year deal so no worries about hold outs.

The drama with Talib was whether he would play and remember he is one infraction away from being suspended a full season. And I would not be so sure about Colorado and temptations. It is no secret that Foxboro insulates guys from the outside and let's them focus on football. Not sure he will get the same type of protection in Denver not to mention he was on one year deals in NE and had to behave and play well to get his big pay day which he just did.

Revis is on a one year deal so no worries about hold outs.

The drama with Talib was whether he would play and remember he is one infraction away from being suspended a full season. And I would not be so sure about Colorado and temptations. It is no secret that Foxboro insulates guys from the outside and let's them focus on football. Not sure he will get the same type of protection in Denver not to mention he was on one year deals in NE and had to behave and play well to get his big pay day which he just did.

Sorry maybe I was being too subtle, I meant of course the state of Colrado's stance on certain substances.

Yes 1 year deal belays all that, but if he plays well won't you want him back? That and I think it's indicative of his personality, meh, just not a guy I'd want on my team aside from of course the ridiculous talent he brings. 

Still a good pick up and I think it will work out better than had your brought back Talib. 

Am I really being nice about the Pats?! Nurse, check my prescription please :P

Sorry maybe I was being too subtle, I meant of course the state of Colrado's stance on certain substances.

Yes 1 year deal belays all that, but if he plays well won't you want him back? That and I think it's indicative of his personality, meh, just not a guy I'd want on my team aside from of course the ridiculous talent he brings. 

Still a good pick up and I think it will work out better than had your brought back Talib. 

Am I really being nice about the Pats?! Nurse, check my prescription please :P

Ha,ha. Right many temps with the substances there.

I am not sure with Revis and his feelings about getting paid. I can't believe he signed a one year deal to begin with. If I had to guess, it sickened him to watch Sherman get all that attention last year and lead his team to the Super Bowl. And then of course there is his ill feelings toward the Jets. I also heard he has already pocketed 70 mil so perhaps he has softened on the money thing. Of course he is still the highest paid CB in the league. ;)  So his ego is still in check.

Ha,ha. Right many temps with the substances there.

I am not sure with Revis and his feelings about getting paid. I can't believe he signed a one year deal to begin with. If I had to guess, it sickened him to watch Sherman get all that attention last year and lead his team to the Super Bowl. And then of course there is his ill feelings toward the Jets. I also heard he has already pocketed 70 mil so perhaps he has softened on the money thing. Of course he is still the highest paid CB in the league. ;)  So his ego is still in check.

Wait till Sherman's rookie deal is up... let loose the dogs of CB wage war ;)

I think what we learned from last year is all these speculation mean nothing. If it makes you feel high, go for it.

I vividly remember you calling out Welker and praising younger and better version Amendola, we all know how that went down.

Time will tell.

I think what we learned from last year is all these speculation mean nothing. If it makes you feel high, go for it.

I vividly remember you calling out Welker and praising younger and better version Amendola, we all know how that went down.

Time will tell.

What's wrong with AM feeling good about a signing? Especially a solid one like Revis'. If Belichick can reign in Talib, then he shouldn't have any problems with the much more mature and talented player that Darrelle Revis is. This is a great signing for New England.

What's wrong with AM feeling good about a signing? Especially a solid one like Revis'. If Belichick can reign in Talib, then he shouldn't have any problems with the much more mature and talented player that Darrelle Revis is. This is a great signing for New England.

Ah the reading skills.

Go back and read the comment i made for the post.

Ah the reading skills.

Go back and read the comment i made for the post.

My reading skills are perfectly fine, thank you very much. " If it makes you feel high, go for it" sounds like someone being bitter about a signing and not wanting to admit that it is a good one. I'm sure AM isn't the only person who likes the signing, so why should her opinion about Welker/Amendola have any merit in the discussion?

My reading skills are perfectly fine, thank you very much. " If it makes you feel high, go for it" sounds like someone being bitter about a signing and not wanting to admit that it is a good one. I'm sure AM isn't the only person who likes the signing, so why should her opinion about Welker/Amendola have any merit in the discussion? I'll wait.

I am sorry but the skills are quite pathetic.

My comment was not for Revis signing. It was about how dramatic Talib is and Revis playing all games.

I am sorry but the skills are quite pathetic.

My comment was not for Revis signing. It was about how dramatic Talib is and Revis playing all games.

Your people skills are pathetic, and so are your trolling ones. This is a thread about Revis signing...so obviously your post is going to have something to do with it. Revis playing all of his games has nothing to do with him signing with an actual team? And again, AM's opinion of Welker somehow relates to Revis' playing time? Backpedal now but it's in text. :thmup:

Your people skills are pathetic, and so are your trolling ones. And this is a thread about Revis signing...so obviously your post is going to have something to do with it. Revis playing all of his games has nothing to do with him signing with an actual team? Backpedal now but it's in text. :thmup:

Either you didn't read or you just don't understand.

No point discussing with you.

Time will tell.

The Welker/Amendola is still on my friend. There is still four years left on Amendola's deal. Welker was in a padded helmet to end the season last year with speculation this his career was in jeopardy from the concussions. This could be his last year.

After watching the Broncos have a field day in FA, Patriots fans were dying for this, and it's still a little difficult to believe it actually happened. Normally this is an out-of-character thing for Belichick.

But...

1. Revis is special. If he's healthy he'll be worth that $12M, and then some. Belichick knows that too I think. Plus the way this is all structured, they are OK to franchise him, and word is that Revis is content to gamble on himself with a series of shorter, high-money deals. It kind of makes sense when you consider it from the player's perspective, though it is a little risky for him. He can continue to sign one or two-year deals at max dollars, and in the long run will probably make more money that way, ASSUMING he stays healthy and continues to play at an elite level. 

2. Although NE generally doesn't operate with "window to win" urgency, I'm so glad they didn't just do their usual status quo thing and were aggressive enough to sign Revis within a few hours of his release from Tampa. Obviously this was lined up ahead of time.

3. How cool is it for us Pats fans that not only are you adding one of the game's best corners, but you're also doing so at the emotional and fiscal expense of the Jets? Tampa released him, resulting in them giving up their fourth round pick instead of their third this year. Late in the saga, there was chatter that Revis was eyeing a return to NY. Within an hour of that story hitting NFL.com, the Patriots locked him up. 

4. Belichick will know how to use Revis, unlike the last regime for the Bucs. And the chatter at the moment is that Browner is being brought in to talk about possibly transitioning to strong safety. He's something like 6'4", 220. Won't be available until week 5 because of a suspension, and carries a high-risk element of course, but I'd love to see him added today somehow. The media is also citing sources that the Patriots will try to rework some deals to free up more space, possibly to add a pass rusher (maybe Peppers, maybe Allen, if they'll move from their current demands). I'd be pretty pumped if they can bring in one more guy, lock up Edelman, and then draft for some depth.

Merry Christmas to my fellow Pats fans.  :thmup:

September can't come soon enough!

After watching the Broncos have a field day in FA, Patriots fans were dying for this, and it's still a little difficult to believe it actually happened. Normally this is an out-of-character thing for Belichick.

But...

1. Revis is special. If he's healthy he'll be worth that $12M, and then some. Belichick knows that too I think. Plus the way this is all structured, they are OK to franchise him, and word is that Revis is content to gamble on himself with a series of shorter, high-money deals. It kind of makes sense when you consider it from the player's perspective, though it is a little risky for him. He can continue to sign one or two-year deals at max dollars, and in the long run will probably make more money that way, ASSUMING he stays healthy and continues to play at an elite level. 

2. Although NE generally doesn't operate with "window to win" urgency, I'm so glad they didn't just do their usual status quo thing and were aggressive enough to sign Revis within a few hours of his release from Tampa. Obviously this was lined up ahead of time.

3. How cool is it for us Pats fans that not only are you adding one of the game's best corners, but you're also doing so at the emotional and fiscal expense of the Jets? Tampa released him, resulting in them giving up their fourth round pick instead of their third this year. Late in the saga, there was chatter that Revis was eyeing a return to NY. Within an hour of that story hitting NFL.com, the Patriots locked him up. 

4. Belichick will know how to use Revis, unlike the last regime for the Bucs. And the chatter at the moment is that Browner is being brought in to talk about possibly transitioning to strong safety. He's something like 6'4", 220. Won't be available until week 5 because of a suspension, and carries a high-risk element of course, but I'd love to see him added today somehow. The media is also citing sources that the Patriots will try to rework some deals to free up more space, possibly to add a pass rusher (maybe Peppers, maybe Allen, if they'll move from their current demands). I'd be pretty pumped if they can bring in one more guy, lock up Edelman, and then draft for some depth.

Merry Christmas to my fellow Pats fans.  :thmup:

September can't come soon enough!

Your third point is my favorite. The Jets specifically traded him to the Bucs so he would not go to the Pats. ha,ha.

The Welker/Amendola is still on my friend. There is still four years left on Amendola's deal. Welker was in a padded helmet to end the season last year with speculation this his career was in jeopardy from the concussions. This could be his last year.

Thanks AM for actually reading and responding to the point :).

Time will tell.

Just spitballin' here but I'm pretty sure that if the Colts signed Darelle Revis, you'd be pretty pumped about it. Especially if Indy had just lost their best player at a very critical position in today's NFL. 

Revis' drama has always been contract-related, so what is he going to gripe about being on a one-year deal? If he wanted something long-term, it wouldn't be a $12M per. He knows that, and is willing to gamble on himself. Maybe he ends up being a one-year mercenary, I don't know. But it's looking like it'll be a fun year either way. 

Speculation indeed means nothing. That applies to both sides - speculating that everything will be hunky-dory, and speculating that Revis will create drama here in NE. 

Wouldn't you agree?  :thmup: