Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Emory University Studies Twitter Response To Michael Sam

Per SB Nation:

"The tweets were sorted by market, and analyzed for positive, negative, or neutral sentiment. Looking at the ratio of positive, negative, and neutral tweets allowed us to compare Twitter sentiment for Michael Sam across NFL Markets.

This list shows you all 31 NFL markets in order of how positive the Twitter reaction of fans seemed to be:

1 New York
2 St Louis
3 Chicago
4 San Francisco
5 Boston
6 Kansas City
7 Washington
8 Philadelphia
9 Tampa
10 Seattle
11 Denver
12 Baltimore
13 Atlanta
14 Charlotte
15 Cincinnati
16 Buffalo
17 Detroit
18 Miami
19 Indianapolis
20 Houston
21 Dallas
22 Phoenix
23 New Orleans
24 Minneapolis
25 Cleveland
26 Jacksonville
27 San Diego
28 Pittsburgh
29 Green Bay
30 Oakland
31 Nashville"

Not sure how much one can read into the polling results of twitter.

It's not the most stable audience.

Still...    I'm not overly surprised by the results.

Exactly NCF. I don't even really understand the ranking system to this story among all 32 teams. Are fans responding to his sexual orientation alone or just whether Sam would be a good fit on their team & overall community? 

Not a negative reflection on Brian Casserly, who I respect, I just can't extrapolate any meaningful conclusions from this study because I have no idea what is really being evaluated. 

Also, what constitutes a negative response? An inflammatory curse word? An objection based on religious grounds? How do you judge a negative initial response that gets transformed into a positive one if you see him play on the field & like what you see live in drills? 

Also, I want to know how many people participated in this study over a specific timeframe? Are they yes or no questions or can a person write a brief essay explaining the root of their reasoning? The media on TV does this a lot: 80% said this. 80% out of how many people surveyed? 10,000? 100,000? 1,000,000? Percentages mean nothing without scope & context. 

Multi-Partner-firm-head-in-the-sand1.jpg

I don't quite understand your point here Brian. It's not an indictment against you at all. I just don't know what the twitter piece is attempting to answer regarding Michael Sam. His acceptance in an NFL locker room across the league? For me, motivation for a person's position is essential or understanding why twitter followers accept or reject Sam as a potential teammate. 

Again, I do respect you Brian & my questions are addressing what this poll/ranking was attempting to answer & how twitter fans reached their conclusions. That's it. 

Unless you just wanted to show that at #19 INDY was not at the bottom of the NFL totem pole on their willingness to embrace Sam into the Colts locker room meaning that we would judge him fairly on his skill set vs discriminate against him outright, which is admirable. 

LOL why would anyone think it was?

I don't know....a picture with 3 peoples heads buried in the sand like an ostrich typically carries with it the symbolic connotation that someone is misguided, aloof, or missing the bigger metaphoric point overall. 

I will admit that I am often too analytical for my own good. Sometimes, a story is just trivial entertainment & nothing more. I realize that. I guess I was confused by the picture indicating that I missed a crucial point that's all & if so, what did Superman, NCF, & SW1 gloss over entirely? 

As Dr. Paula Nelson always drilled into my head in graduate school, "don't miss the forest for the trees" & yes sometimes the obvious flies right over my head too.  haha It's cool. I have my genius days & dunce days of comprehension as well. No harm done man.  :thmup: