Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Question:

I know Tuesday March 11th is the day when Free agents may sign with teams, but what is the Saturday before free agency? Something like free agents may talk to teams or something like that? can some one explain that to me? Thank you, and as always... GO COLTS

I know Tuesday March 11th is the day when Free agents may sign with teams, but what is the Saturday before free agency? Something like free agents may talk to teams or something like that? can some one explain that to me? Thank you, and as always... GO COLTS

You can start contract negotiations with free agents-to-be.  Doing so before the new rule constituted tampering, but everyone did it, so they made it legal.  Now the tampering starts earlier.

Starting on the 8th, teams can talk to agents about signing players, but no deals can be made (technically speaking) before then. It's basically a moratorium designed to give more teams a chance to talk to players before they agree to terms with another team. Call it sanctioned tampering.