Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seattle D looks like the Jets of 2009

runthepost

Both were number 1 in pass and 1 overall both gave up only 14 points and both have shut down corners.. but we all remember that day Peyton had I believe 370 yards? 3TD and no picks. What am I saying is that could we see the same results or evening better with Peyton having a better O now?

The Jets had the best CB in the sport, but the rest of the D wasn't in his class. The Seahawks supposedly have a historically good pass defense along with other good pieces. They also have a QB who is vastly more effective than Sanchez. Those Jets teams weren't on this level. They were never all that scary.

However, all it takes for Peyton to pick apart a defense is to identify a weakness and take advantage of it. If they have more quality receivers than Seattle has quality CBs...................... Or even if they are covered well, spread them out and then run the ball, or dink a screen pass. SOMETHING will be open. You can slow Denver down, but probably not enough.

As good as there D looks right now, if they are going to win the Superbowl, they better do it this year. After this year, they are going to have major cap problems. They have only eM for next year. They will cut Sydney Rice I am guessing, plus Avril or Clemmons, and that will give them about 17M going into next year. The major problem for them is two fold. Wilson is going into his 3rd season, and as a 3rd round pick, only 3 years are guaranteed, with the fourth year option. So they are going to need to extend him next year, and he will be paid a bundle. Then there defense, Browner is going to get paid, do not know about the suspension, but I don't think it will be a year, and he will get big money. Sherman same deal, next year is his last, and if Revis demanded 16M/yr. what does Sherman command. Think about just Sherman/Wilson. The two of them could cost upwards of 36M/yr. if they keep both of them. They just cannot keep that defense intact. All the acquisitions they made this year, many were rents for one year. They are going to have to release key players into FA next year and the next!

I don't think Seattle has enough to stop Peyton from getting his ring. Especially if they can't get enough pressure in his face. They've got speed guys that are similar to Mathis to create the pressure, but I don't think it will be enough. I don't think Seattle will be able to possess the ball enough to keep Peyton off the field.  Denver is pretty strong against the run,so I think they will be able to make Seattle a bit one sided on the offensive side of things, and they have enough quality DBs to slow down or stop the Seahawks wrs.  I think they won't be able to score enough points to hang with Denver in this one.