Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting Peyton Manning postseason legacy opinion last night

Mitch Connors

I heard a contributor (didn’t catch his name) on Fox Sports Radio last night say this post season will almost certainly define Peyton Manning’s entire postseason career and determine the Greatest of All Time Argument for him. Here’s why he thinks this;

– Peyton can never seem to beat the Chargers in the playoffs

– Peyton has never beat Pats/Brady in New England

- coming off the greatest season a QB has ever had

Assume Broncos lose to Chargers

Manning has another one and done in the postseason and yet another loss to the Chargers

Assume Broncos/Pats win this weekend

Brady then comes to Denver and wins. The conversation is over for GOAT between these two.

Assume Broncos/Colts Win this weekend

Luck is the guy who Indy cut Peyton for that just beat Brady in New England and Peyton lost to   him in Indy earlier this year. If Peyton loses to Luck it will be confirmed that Luck was the better choice than Peyton at least when it comes to winning when it matters most (very debatable point here)

I want the Colts to win first and foremost but after hearing this Im really nervous for Peyton. If we don’t win the SB I really, really hope the Broncos do now.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ridiculous

Great commentary. You really support your opinion with great facts and ideas.

Manning has more 1 and dones than any other QB in history. Several have been caused by San Diego and New England and the third option is the Colts - which is the team that cut him. This lines up for Peyton to slay all of the demons of his past or succumb to them yet again....but I guess youre right, "ridiculous".

I dunno, Manning has already built quite a legacy for himself.  I know that myself and other Pats fans like to pick on him a bit for some of his post season losses, but in reality hes one of the greatest to ever strap on a helmet.  Winning playoff games and super bowls is extremely hard to do, everything has to go right for you and the ball has to bounce your way sometimes too.  Manning certainly can't use the excuse of having no weapons on offense, hes totally stacked on that side of the ball (hence the 55 tds this year) but their defense is suspect, so if they can't build a big lead and force teams to be 1 dimensional trying to keep up with them, they'll be in trouble..  Especially against teams that can control time of possession with the run game.

The mere fact that these QBs are in the post season competing for the title every single year is what really cements their legacy.  I still don't like Manning very much, but ive been having some warm tingly sensations in the feels area of my torso lately and I suppose I will doff my cap to him.

Playoff football baby! It doesn't get any better than this!

Although I hate dealing with absolutes and don't want to say 'this postseason will define his entire playoff career', I think some legitimate points were raised about what each result will effectively mean in terms of perception of Peyton Manning.

To be honest, lets look at the possible outcomes:

A Superbowl win after the greatest statistical season a quarterback has had will essentially 'legitimize' any argument FOR him.

A one and done would be extremely detrimental to any defenders and will be another domino in the 'fails in big games' line.

A loss to Brady in the AFCCG at home would be another strike against him in the never ending comparison debate.

A loss to the #5 seed Colts at home would prove they were right in letting him walk and would give more ammo for haters.

Even though I don't agree that this single postseason will define him, it CERTAINLY will go a long way towards giving further justification for either side of the argument.

I dunno, Manning has already built quite a legacy for himself.  I know that myself and other Pats fans like to pick on him a bit for some of his post season losses, but in reality hes one of the greatest to ever strap on a helmet.  Winning playoff games and super bowls is extremely hard to do, everything has to go right for you and the ball has to bounce your way sometimes too.  Manning certainly can't use the excuse of having no weapons on offense, hes totally stacked on that side of the ball (hence the 55 tds this year) but their defense is suspect, so if they can't build a big lead and force teams to be 1 dimensional trying to keep up with them, they'll be in trouble..  Especially against teams that can control time of possession with the run game.

The mere fact that these QBs are in the post season competing for the title every single year is what really cements their legacy.  I still don't like Manning very much, but ive been having some warm tingly sensations in the feels area of my torso lately and I suppose I will doff my cap to him.

Playoff football baby! It doesn't get any better than this!

Just curious, be honest - what is the reason you don't like Manning :).

Although I hate dealing with absolutes and don't want to say 'this postseason will define his entire playoff career', I think some legitimate points were raised about what each result will effectively mean in terms of perception of Peyton Manning.

A Superbowl win after the greatest statistical season a quarterback has had will essentially 'legitimize' any argument FOR him.

A one and done would be extremely detrimental to any defenders and will be another domino in the 'fails in big games' line.

A loss to Brady in the AFCCG at home would be another strike against him in the never ending comparison debate.

A loss to the #5 seed Colts at home would prove they were right in letting him walk and would give more ammo for haters.

Even though I don't agree that this single postseason will define him, it CERTAINLY will go a long way towards giving further justification for either side of the argument.

You summed his opinion up better than I did. What you typed is almost exactly what he said.

Oh come on, thats just one game

Just one game!?  That was like a bad dream that game lol, I was so upset after that loss, and then to follow it up with the 18-1 season.  Those are the 2 back to back seasons that made me take a step back and realize that i can't get so emotionally invested in football anymore lol

Dan Marino fans would say he was every bit as good as Brady and Peyton yet has no championship rings. Also, I realize demographics means many people only have seen QBs of the past twenty years play, in an era that has almost taken tackle football to two-hand touch football. So it is hard to measure the pinball machine passing numbers of today's QBs with those of earlier eras.

Johnny U was as good as any current QB. Yet the much shorter schedules and much different rules would suggest he was inferior to the current guys, if you look at passing stats.

Just one game!?  That was like a bad dream that game lol, I was so upset after that loss, and then to follow it up with the 18-1 season.  Those are the 2 back to back seasons that made me take a step back and realize that i can't get so emotionally invested in football anymore lol

I hear ya. I learnt that lesson last year after Baltimore game.

What's the reason you guys don't like Brady? ;)

because 2003 and 2004 playoffs were just two games.... :)

I cant speak for others but here is my take.

The reason i dont like Brady is not caused by Brady himself. I just dont like the fact that he is given too much credit for a TEAM win. 

Very good summation of how he will be viewed win or lose this season. I think what is tough for him is he will face two teams that have beaten him this year. First the Chargers and then either the Pats or Colts in Denver. The SB will be no cake walk in NY either against most likely Seattle or San Fran.

Great commentary. You really support your opinion with great facts and ideas.

Manning has more 1 and dones than any other QB in history. Several have been caused by San Diego and New England and the third option is the Colts - which is the team that cut him. This lines up for Peyton to slay all of the demons of his past or succumb to them yet again....but I guess youre right, "ridiculous".

wins and losses are a team accomplishments. Peyton will go down as one of the best ever no matter what happens from here on out. So yes, ridiculous

I cant speak for others but here is my take.

The reason i dont like Brady is not caused by Brady himself. I just dont like the fact that he is given too much credit for a TEAM win. 

Do you not believe the play of the QB has the biggest effect on whether a team wins or loses?

Guest TeamLoloJones

wins and losses are a team accomplishments. Peyton will go down as one of the best ever no matter what happens from here on out. So yes, ridiculous

I don't think the discussion is whether or not Peyton is one the greatest of all time.  He could not play another snap, and that fact is already set in stone.  The point is whether or not he could be THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME, if he suffered another one and done this season.  

I don't think the discussion is whether or not Peyton is one the greatest of all time.  He could not play another snap, and that fact is already set in stone.  The point is whether or not he could be THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME, if he suffered another one and done this season.  

I don't think another SB win puts him as the GOAT either as his playoff record would be 12-11 with 2 rings and a SB loss. Probably puts him closer to Elway but behind Montana and Brady still.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I don't think another SB win puts him as the GOAT either as his playoff record would be 12-11 with 2 rings and a SB loss. Probably puts him closer to Elway but behind Montana and Brady still.

He's already above Elway.  

He already is the GOAT. I'm not sure why there is still a debate?

I'm not sure why you're not sure.

These types of things are ALWAYS up for debate...primarily because lists like these are based on opinions, which are based on different standards, which are based on many other factors.

If he wins another SB he will be the greatest since his regular season success is way too dominant and the Indy team he had was much weaker than Brady's earlier teams with which he won the 3 SBs.

If he wins another SB he will be the greatest since his regular season success is way too dominant and the Indy team he had was much weaker than Brady's earlier teams with which he won the 3 SBs.

And it is not fair to compare team/QB under the strict salary cap era than those in the past when you could build dream teams.

In my opinion he is.  I think this season put him above Elway, even if he doesn't win a play game.

You do realize Elway took absolute garbage Denver teams to three SBs in the 80's? And then won two SBs in his late 30's ten years later from his first appearance? And if Elway had the same passing rules as Manning he would have throw 55TDs or more as well ...

Guest TeamLoloJones

Montana was the best QB ever at taking 3 steps and throwing the ball to a spot on the field. Probably the most overrated player in league history.

Is that according to PFF?  Sorry couldn't resist...

Guest TeamLoloJones

You do realize Elway took absolute garbage Denver teams to three SBs in the 80's? And then won two SBs in his late 30's ten years later from his first appearance? And if Elway had the same passing rules as Manning he would have throw 55TDs or more as well ...

So you give the garbage team excuse to make your point with Elway, but Peyton doesn't get credit for that, and you don't take anything away from Brady for being on good teams.  I'm officially done talking to you on the forum.

So you give the garbage team excuse to make your point with Elway, but Peyton doesn't get credit for that, and you don't take anything away from Brady for being on good teams.  I'm officially done talking to you on the forum.

When did Peyton take his team to five SBs like Elway and Brady?