Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predicting the most impactful player in Broncos-Chargers game

tonychen

I mean other than the two QBs.

No not Wes Welker.

I say it will be Champ Bailey. He rested for 15 weeks and now is close to 100%. Although he was embarrassed last year against Ravens, he is now playing the primary nickel back role, and he is playing very well, a reason Broncos defense was playing much better in their last two games.

In week 15 Chargers picked on Broncos' primary nickel back Kayvon Webster for a bunch of crucial 3rd down conversions as well as their 2nd TD. This time Bailey should be able to give them a different look. I feel his impact will determine the result of the game. This is like Bob Sanders as a veteran coming back at the right time for 06 Colts.

Danny Woodhead. The guy has been a beast all season for the Chargers.

For the Broncos, I think much depends on Decker and Thomas getting open.

Yes Woodhead is very tough to defend as a runner and pass catcher, and this time Denver is without Von Miller. Don't know how they are going to make up for the pass rush and meanwhile stop the run.

But still think Bailey will be the wildcard this time as he was an all-pro for a reason. When healthy he should still have enough in the tank to make some impact.

Yes Woodhead is very tough to defend as a runner and pass catcher, and this time Denver is without Von Miller. Don't know how they are going to make up for the pass rush and meanwhile stop the run.

But still think Bailey will be the wildcard this time as he was an all-pro for a reason. When healthy he should still have enough in the tank to make some impact.

I would be nervous with Bailey. He was torched last year by Smith. But at this point he is probably their best bet if he is healthy.

I would be nervous with Bailey. He was torched last year by Smith. But at this point he is probably their best bet if he is healthy.

He is not going to match up with Chargers best receiver this time. Should be more than sufficient especially after a long rest. I could even see him get a pick-6.

Not really but I was really tired of watching Kayvon Webster being burnt badly on NFL replay last night. The kid had no clue.

I agree. Champ will have the biggest impact. Webster got abused by Brady too during that comeback when DRC went out. The kid just cannot play yet in the NFL. If champ can practically shut down whoever he covers (Allen or one of the TEs), then the Broncos will blow out the chargers imo.

Keenan Allen or Ladarius Green for the Chargers.  I have this gut instinct that our offensive game might have some twists to it.

Champ Bailey for the Broncos.  Fresh legs - burning desire will make him more dangerous than usual.  

For Chargers I feel Gates will have a nice game. Last year he gave Denver lots of troubles in their regular season meetings. Don't ignore the old dogs.

For Chargers I feel Gates will have a nice game. Last year he gave Denver lots of troubles in their regular season meetings. Don't ignore the old dogs.

I had to laugh at your post because as I was hitting "post" I thought exactly, almost word-for-word the same thing, LOL!  I almost even edited it to add it in.

If Denver overlooks Gate he'll bite them in the rear.  But the fact he's there drawing double coverage helps our young guys out as well.

I agree. Champ will have the biggest impact. Webster got abused by Brady too during that comeback when DRC went out. The kid just cannot play yet in the NFL. If champ can practically shut down whoever he covers (Allen or one of the TEs), then the Broncos will blow out the chargers imo.

Having an all-pro to play nickel is really a luxury even when he is at the end of his career. When I watched the week 15 replay I did not feel Denver's run defense was particularly worse, but many 3rd down conversions were given up by the inexperienced rookie in the air, which played right into Chargers game plan. 

DRC is playing at a very high level and Chris Harris is an above average NFL starter. I can see DRC matched up with Allen and Harris the other guy. If they suffer no injury Bailey will match up with a TE or Eddie Royal/Vincent Brown, but this could be the key match up for stopping Chargers' long drives. 

Against Pats if DRC were a little smarter not to try too hard to catch Brady's desperate throw ending the 1st half, I can see Denver win that game easily.

Ryan Mathews. If he gets going, the passing game will open up for Rivers.

QB is right.....DJ Fluker......He'll see a lot of bltzes and stunts..because Denver cant get to the passer with a 4-man rush.

The very big rookie has to hold up..and run block well

Orlando Franklin...RT for Denver...(see Fluker)

.. a better run blocker than a pass blocker..he has to do well...the right side is Denver's strong side...the Broncos have to run right at SD early

...to blow up their 'time of posessiion' scheme

If you keep the defense on the field in the light air in Denver, they wear down

QB is right.....DJ Fluker......He'll see a lot of bltzes and stunts..because Denver cant get to the passer with a 4-man rush.

The very big rookie has to hold up..and run block well

Orlando Franklin...RT for Denver...(see Fluker)

.. a better run blocker than a pass blocker..he has to do well...the right side is Denver's strong side...the Broncos have to run right at SD early

...to blow up their 'time of posessiion' scheme

If you keep the defense on the field in the light air in Denver, they wear down

I also thought about why Denver never tried to control the ball - run through two RBs and get short passes. This used to be effective when Peyton was at Indy since our D used to be known and bend but don't break and consumed lots of time on the field. Peyton was using a ball-control offense to get our D off the field and rest.

Melvin Ingram wasn't there in our second game or if he was he was just coming off of the PUP list and didn't play much at all.  He's getting better pressure with every game back.  If he gets in Peyton's face (and head) he could have a big impact.  Also, just the fact he's there has made the secondary more stout. 

Yeah, he's just so stinkin' cute I want to pinch his cheeks, LOL!  He's so clutch.  Best FA pick up of the year and I can't think of a SD FA pick up off the top of my head that has performed better than he has.  Jarret Johnson's been outstanding but he's one of those quiet, steady players not so flashy or in the camera's eye.

Guest TeamLoloJones

If Bailey is anywhere near the MVP of this game, I'll eat a bowl of couscous. He's done.

That's a bold bet. Couscous is delicious.