Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF grades vs Jags

HtownColt

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that coincides with my assertion that he isn't as great as most posters here think.

he has had some really good games and some bad games

most people arent smart enough to realize if he is playing bad.  they just notice if he makes a play

that coincides with my assertion that he isn't as great as most posters here think.

I don't know about their game to game ratings, but I think it's more a case of him having some absolutely putrid games earlier this season, particularly in coverage. What he's been about to do in about half our games is make big plays for the defense. The problem is that he sometimes gets washed completely out of the play, and sometimes will go for quarters at a time without doing anything.

Redding: +17.1 overall (10th), +0.2 rush (18th), +16.5 run (7th)

RJF: +6.5 overall, -0.1 rush, +6.0 run

Hughes: +2.0 overall, -0.3 rush, +2.2 run.

Would help to add someone with pass rush ability from end/tackle, but all three of them were strong against the run.

Antonio Smith (+18.8 rush) is a FA this year. Kind of old tho. We'd have him for maybe another 2-3 years.

On a two year deal, he'd fit. But I think he's better in a 1-gap front, which is mostly what Wade Phillips runs. Surprisingly, Smith's sack numbers have gone up since he moved to 3-4 end from 4-3 undertackle. It's usually the other way around, like with Warren Sapp. But Smith has an entirely different body type and playing style. I don't know if he's big enough to play end in our front, aside from passing situations.

That's my objective viewpoint. My fanboy viewpoint is that Smith is one of the few players in the league that I simply do not like. I'd rather not sign him.

On a two year deal, he'd fit. But I think he's better in a 1-gap front, which is mostly what Wade Phillips runs. Surprisingly, Smith's sack numbers have gone up since he moved to 3-4 end from 4-3 undertackle. It's usually the other way around, like with Warren Sapp. But Smith has an entirely different body type and playing style. I don't know if he's big enough to play end in our front, aside from passing situations.

That's my objective viewpoint. My fanboy viewpoint is that Smith is one of the few players in the league that I simply do not like. I'd rather not sign him.

we 1 gap rjf all the time. 

smith would fit in fine.  although i don't see it happening since we already have rjf to play that role and he is younger. 

Fleener finishes the year with the lowest drop rate of any TE in the NFL at 1.89%.

You're talking about that guy who was too afraid to play in the NFL? Because he was scared of contact and had butter on his gloves?

Surely you jest.

we 1 gap rjf all the time. 

smith would fit in fine.  although i don't see it happening since we already have rjf to play that role and he is younger. 

Yeah Smith would fit fine on passing downs. Problem would be in running situations. Phillips system doesn't encourage the backside discipline that Pagano tries to have his guys play with. Smith shoots the gap and pursues down the line, while our guys are supposed to stack a wall and force the back to the sideline.

I don't see it happening, either. If Smith would agree to a smaller, one or two year deal, he'd fit as a part of the rotation. But I think he's still capable of being a starter, and I think the Texans would be silly to not re-sign him, regardless what front they decide to play (I expect them to keep the Wade Phillips principles in place).

Yeah Smith would fit fine on passing downs. Problem would be in running situations. Phillips system doesn't encourage the backside discipline that Pagano tries to have his guys play with. Smith shoots the gap and pursues down the line, while our guys are supposed to stack a wall and force the back to the sideline.

I don't see it happening, either. If Smith would agree to a smaller, one or two year deal, he'd fit as a part of the rotation. But I think he's still capable of being a starter, and I think the Texans would be silly to not re-sign him, regardless what front they decide to play (I expect them to keep the Wade Phillips principles in place).

we still 1 gap in the run game as well.  this isn't a traditional 34 defense.  rjf plays the 3 tech a large amount of the time.  even defending the run

The problem is that he sometimes gets washed completely out of the play, and sometimes will go for quarters at a time without doing anything.

agreed. i think he is too small, just like i thought angerer was too small when everyone was saying how good he was. i do like freeman a lot more than the angerer of a couple years ago. i really didn't like angerer and remember all the arguments i had with posters that thought he was all pro material. freeman does make plays.

Redding: +17.1 overall (10th), +0.2 rush (18th), +16.5 run (7th)

RJF: +6.5 overall, -0.1 rush, +6.0 run

Hughes: +2.0 overall, -0.3 rush, +2.2 run.

all three of them were strong against the run.

again this backs up my assertion that the colts d-line is not a position of need like may posters think. we can get the pass rush from blitzes as long as the d-line can occupy the o-line. boy would it be nice to have a big athletic inside linebacker for once!

again this backs up my assertion that the colts d-line is not a position of need like may posters think. we can get the pass rush from blitzes as long as the d-line can occupy the o-line. boy would it be nice to have a big athletic inside linebacker for once!

our dline lets olinemen on our lbers constantly

i would be careful with these ratings. 

so you think the d-line is a area of need?

ilb, db (because of games missed to injuries), and interior o-line are much bigger areas of need to me.

obviously not the biggest need. 

but with redding getting up there and he really should be a backup at this point, yes it is a need

the dline does ok.  but replacing redding is a must at some point sooner than later and we need better play from the nt position

obviously not the biggest need. 

but with redding getting up there and he really should be a backup at this point, yes it is a need

the dline does ok.  but replacing redding is a must at some point sooner than later and we need better play from the nt position

i'm not ready to write off redding, and i think chapman has done ok at nt.

we still 1 gap in the run game as well.  this isn't a traditional 34 defense.  rjf plays the 3 tech a large amount of the time.  even defending the run

RJF still plays the role differently than Smith does, particularly from the backside. And Smith's major advantage over RJF is his ability to get after the passer. That's all I'm saying. Said earlier that Smith would fit, even though it's probably not the kind of acquisition we should be going after at this point.

RJF still plays the role differently than Smith does, particularly from the backside. And Smith's major advantage over RJF is his ability to get after the passer. That's all I'm saying. Said earlier that Smith would fit, even though it's probably not the kind of acquisition we should be going after at this point.

I actually think RJF is more then capable of getting after the passer every bit as much as Smith, Smiths career high is 7 sacks, Francois only played 10 games this year and had 2, He has an explosive get off the ball from what I see but very inconsistent. it would help if he was used in stunts more to take advantage of his speed, i dont think Manusky has been nearly creative enough

I actually think RJF is more then capable of getting after the passer every bit as much as Smith, Smiths career high is 7 sacks, Francois only played 10 games this year and had 2, He has an explosive get off the ball from what I see but very inconsistent. it would help if he was used in stunts more to take advantage of his speed, i dont think Manusky has been nearly creative enough

Smith is better as a pass rusher, there's not much to discuss there. RJF isn't a slouch, and I believe the principles of our front play require him to be more conservative, which limits his production as a pass rusher. But Smith is still better. He's tenacious, he can split linemen, he has a bull rush, he has a swim move and a rip move, he's the definition of a high motor player.