Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Da'Rick Rogers vs Jaguars

Rob Lowe

Finally someone who gets it.

Its very likely Reggie Wayne will not recover from his injury.

The willingness of people to convince themselves that TY Hilton, an old gimpy Reggie Wayne, and 2-3 unproven NFL WR's is enough going into next season is frightening.

Reggie is a very determined and driven guy who takes great care of himself physically...and will most probably be ready for next season to 'give it a try'....but he turns 36 next November and older players do not survive the hits without injury like younger players, nor do they recover as fast as the young guys when they do get injured. It is highly optimistic to count on Reggie to play 16 games next year (or even 12).

We DO need to put Reggie's replacement on the roster this next year.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Age.

How many 35 year old WR come back from a torn ACL to be as productive as they were before?

I mean, we *could* go to war with that WR corps I described above next year.  It would be incredibly shortsighted to do so, though. 

How many 35 year old WRs have had a torn ACL?  It is a small group and I would really have no way of knowing the numbers.  But for a guy, who by all reports, is not only ahead of schedule on his recovery but way ahead of schedule on his recovery the very likely comment seems rather uninformed.  And the truth is no body knows how his body will respond especially for a guy who has not had a knee injury before.

I could say it is very likely that he will return to his pre-injury self and it would be as valid as your comment.

How many 35 year old WRs have had a torn ACL?  It is a small group and I would really have no way of knowing the numbers.  But for a guy, who by all reports, is not only ahead of schedule on his recovery but way ahead of schedule on his recovery the very likely comment seems rather uninformed.  And the truth is no body knows how his body will respond especially for a guy who has not had a knee injury before.

I could say it is very likely that he will return to his pre-injury self and it would be as valid as your comment.

Considering that only a dozen recievers in the history of the NFL have managed 1000 yard seasons after their 35th birthday, and, with the exception of Jerry Rice, none of them were coming off of a torn ACL when they did it, odds are extremely likely that Reggie Wayne will not be as productive in 2014 as he was prior.

Edited to add:  If there is anyone who could come back from this, it would be Reggie Wayne, so i'm certainly not counting him out.  I'm just not banking on it and I think it would be incredibly foolish not to address the WR position this offseason.