Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Salary cap calculator.

I agree we need to cut Toler and everyone know satele needs to be gone wat do you think of TJ Ward at S you usually have a good input on players

I really like TJ Ward. I think he's playing at a top 10 level this season. He's flexible, being able to play in the box and single-high looks (which we play a lot of) so he's not your typical SS (like a guy like Landry or Pollard). Unfortunately, I expect Cleveland to use their franchise tag on him. If that's not the case, I hope Grigson explores bringing him in to replace Bethea. 

I really like TJ Ward. I think he's playing at a top 10 level this season. He's flexible, being able to play in the box and single-high looks (which we play a lot of) so he's not your typical SS (like a guy like Landry or Pollard). Unfortunately, I expect Cleveland to use their franchise tag on him. If that's no the case, I hope Grigson explores bringing him in to replace Bethea.

I agree just was wondering why no one has seemed to bring him up they just keep mentioning Byrd over and over

Guest TeamLoloJones

I agree just was wondering why no one has seemed to bring him up they just keep mentioning Byrd over and over

I like Ward too, but talent wise I don't think he's even close to the level Byrd is.  But Ward wouldn't cost nearly as much either.  It's a good idea Colts_Fan12

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yeah haha well there also been a few people that just say he's a SS and can't replace Bethea but he's a FS on the pro bowl ballot

Not sure why that even matters.  Landry is listed as our FS on the depth chart.  

Guest TeamLoloJones

My point is Ward can play Bethea's role most seemed to think he couldn't and I also thought he could cost less that's why I thought he could be a possible signing for us

I think he could too, he would be an upgrade and let us spend more $ on the o-line than if we went after Byrd.  It's a darn good idea.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Thanks we just have to hope the dang browns don't tag him as Dustin said

If they do tag Ward, they can't tag Mack...not that they would have anyway, but still.

Guest TeamLoloJones

There are plenty of cornerbacks in FA next year.

Brandon Browner, Antoine Cason, DRC, Sam Shields, Walter Thurmand, Verner, ect...

haha...Browner.

I really like TJ Ward. I think he's playing at a top 10 level this season. He's flexible, being able to play in the box and single-high looks (which we play a lot of) so he's not your typical SS (like a guy like Landry or Pollard). Unfortunately, I expect Cleveland to use their franchise tag on him. If that's not the case, I hope Grigson explores bringing him in to replace Bethea. 

idk Dustin, the Browns also have Alex Mack going into FA this year also. I guess if Mack gets a big enough contract, then Ward could be franchised or vice-versa ?

Guest TeamLoloJones

idk Dustin, the Browns also have Alex Mack going into FA this year also. I guess if Mack gets a big enough contract, then Ward could be franchised or vice-versa ?

The problem with the Browns franchising Mack is they have to pay him top O-line money, not just for centers, but all lineman.  That would be a very expensive tag for a center.  It's still possible though.

I don't think they tag Mack. There's no set franchise tag for each position on the oline so all o-lineman fall under the same category. Tagging Mack would basically be tagging him at the average of the top 5 LTs in the NFL. And that would be much more than the average of the top 5 centers.

I think that the Browns work out a contract with Mack and tag Ward. They're so close on the verge of being contenders (IMO they just need a good QB and another WR) that they can't afford to let young talent walk away from their team. Especially with the amount of cap-space they have next year.

I don't think they tag Mack. There's no set franchise tag for each position on the oline so all o-lineman fall under the same category. Tagging Mack would basically be tagging him at the average of the top 5 LTs in the NFL. And that would be much more than the average of the top 5 centers.

I think that the Browns work out a contract with Mack and tag Ward. They're so close on the verge of being contenders (IMO they just need a good QB and another WR) that they can't afford to let young talent walk away from their team. Especially with the amount of cap-space they have next year.

good points  :)

There's no way $47MM would only go to our FAs and Byrd. The only guy with a big contract coming up is Davis.

Byrd too is gonna want a big contract so there goes probably half our money then add in signing pat and a couple others like Vaughn angered and or Connor, brown or Bradshaw, maybe Adam and there goes our money. Grant none of them will ask for a lot, but he signings will accumulate

Byrd too is gonna want a big contract so there goes probably half our money then add in signing pat and a couple others like Vaughn angered and or Connor, brown or Bradshaw, maybe Adam and there goes our money. Grant none of them will ask for a lot, but he signings will accumulate

Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety in the NFL. That would put him at about 10MM a year.

That leaves us with 37 million. Davis will probably get 7.5MM  a year.

That puts us at about 29MM. 

Vaughn, Angerer, Connor, Brown, Bradshaw aren't getting re-signed most likely.

That leaves us almost 30MM to sign a bunch of our back-up players who's contracts will be close to veteran minimum. We'll have plenty of cap room to sign a cornerback. 

Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety in the NFL. That would put him at about 10MM a year.

That leaves us with 37 million. Davis will probably get 7.5MM  a year.

That puts us at about 29MM. 

Vaughn, Angerer, Connor, Brown, Bradshaw aren't getting re-signed most likely.

That leaves us almost 30MM to sign a bunch of our back-up players who's contracts will be close to veteran minimum. We'll have plenty of cap room to sign a cornerback.

No way Davis agrees to just 7.5. Im thinking 9

Resign Vontae Davis, Pat McAfee, Sergio Brown, may be a few others

Jairus Byrd

Alex Mack if they don't think Holmes can play

Brian Orakpo

Cut Toler and sign Alterraun Verner

Jon Beason

These are just players I could see them pursuing, by no means will they sign them all

Orakpo would just be a luxury were still developing Werner and he has show some promisewe strongly need a guard and center and S

Orakpo would just be a luxury were still developing Werner and he has show some promisewe strongly need a guard and center and S

Robert Mathis has been on a tear this year but I'm not sure about the future. I believe Pagano is trying to establish a Raven-esque defense. Werner would/will be used in a Terrell Suggs type of role and a more pure pass rusher will be put across from him. Orakpo would be the pure pass rusher and would take Mathis's role. Mathis could be a passing down rusher. Part of the reason I chose the players I did is because of how they resemble the Raven's defense. Byrd would assume the role that Reed had and would also allow them to use Landry similarly to how Bernard Pollard played while he was there. Beason would step in as a leader and give us a very good ILB to complement Freeman. Verner is because Toler cant get back onto the field and is therefore useless. I could also see them make a trade for someone like Lardarius Webb due to the fact that Pagano seems to like playing corners on one half of the field. I think Holmes may step up and although he'll struggle I'm curious as to what the staff thinks and I'm just not sure Grigson would put someone else in front of him right now

Robert Mathis has been on a tear this year but I'm not sure about the future. I believe Pagano is trying to establish a Raven-esque defense. Werner would/will be used in a Terrell Suggs type of role and a more pure pass rusher will be put across from him. Orakpo would be the pure pass rusher and would take Mathis's role. Mathis could be a passing down rusher. Part of the reason I chose the players I did is because of how they resemble the Raven's defense. Byrd would assume the role that Reed had and would also allow them to use Landry similarly to how Bernard Pollard played while he was there. Beason would step in as a leader and give us a very good ILB to complement Freeman. Verner is because Toler cant get back onto the field and is therefore useless. I could also see them make a trade for someone like Lardarius Webb due to the fact that Pagano seems to like playing corners on one half of the field. I think Holmes may step up and although he'll struggle I'm curious as to what the staff thinks and I'm just not sure Grigson would put someone else in front of him right now

I'll just point out that there's no way in the world we could afford all those players. I'd love to have Beason and Verner, but both of them are at the top of the league at their positions. They are going to get good money (probably). Beason is a good player, but he's better in a four down front, not our front. Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety in the league.

I'll also point out that Mathis plays the Suggs role, which is the Rush backer. He is the pure pass rusher in the hybrid front, and otherwise. The Ravens have other pass rushers, guys who can make moves on the interior (like Ngata), and a complementary pass rusher on the other side playing Sam. This year, they've used Suggs and Dumervil sort of interchangeably, because both are good pass rushers. I do think we need another pass rusher, but I don't think we should commit big money like what Orakpo will try to get.

I'll just point out that there's no way in the world we could afford all those players. I'd love to have Beason and Verner, but both of them are at the top of the league at their positions. They are going to get good money (probably). Beason is a good player, but he's better in a four down front, not our front. Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety in the league.

I'll also point out that Mathis plays the Suggs role, which is the Rush backer. He is the pure pass rusher in the hybrid front, and otherwise. The Ravens have other pass rushers, guys who can make moves on the interior (like Ngata), and a complementary pass rusher on the other side playing Sam. This year, they've used Suggs and Dumervil sort of interchangeably, because both are good pass rushers. I do think we need another pass rusher, but I don't think we should commit big money like what Orakpo will try to get.

I don't think the Colts could get them all. Beason was traded for a 6th round pick this year I think. Has Beason played in a 3-4 at some point? I've also heard that Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety but other than Thomas in Seattle I think he may be the top safety and the Colts could use that. I'm hoping that Montori Hughes continues to flash, not that he'll be as good as Ngata, but play a similar role after Redding is gone. RJF would man the other side. I wouldn't break the bank for Orakpo but if they could get him at a bargain then get it done.