Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Race Card played in RG benching; Comparison to Luck

amfootball

First off, this was the wrong thing to say.

There is no such a thing as a "race card" cause racism really does exist. It didn't just end when a black man became president or when MLK achieved something. I do not like hearing this term whatsoever. I do not agree with Irvin at all, but to call this the "race card" is a joke. We could all day about white privilege if we wanted to have a discussion on this.

You really don't like Griffin, huh???

I'll say something some might find a little provocative, but it's part of the discussion. I think some of the traits of Griffin's personality are very prevalent in the black community. (I say this as a black man, by the way.) Some of the arrogance and egotism is part of what black kids do when playing basketball or football or video games or walking through the mall or talking to girls or whatever. (And it's not just black kids, but it's definitely a part of the culture in urban areas.) They talk smack, they brag about their accomplishments, etc. The chest thumping and one-upping and so on is often intrinsic. 

That doesn't mean Griffin does these things because he's black, or that other races or cultures don't do these things also. But for some people, when they hear Griffin criticized for being arrogant or egotistical, they hear that as a blanket criticism of black culture. 

Then on the other hand, some black figures are criticized by other black people for not being black enough. Listen to Jim Brown's recent comments about Kobe Bryant. It's really sad, to be honest, and I'm not in any way a Kobe Bryant fan.

Back to Griffin, you add in the criticism of him as a "running quarterback," and a lot of people associate that with his race as well. So tie all these things in together, and it's not surprising that this issue of race keeps coming up, not to me.

I don't agree with Irvin's comments, of course. But it doesn't surprise me. 

This is one of the best posts I've read on this forum, thank you.

For the ego and arrogance, I don't think it's a race based thing cause there are plenty of white players that can be extremely arrogant in any sport.

Thank you for mentioning the "he's not black enough". I've had this discussion numerous times with black friends of mine, when McNabb was called this. It is so dumb and follows the stereotypes from the media on African Americans and it's very sad when people say dumb stuff like this to condemn black athletes.

I'm not a fan of Griffin at all but I don't like how the race thing has always been brought into it. This however was one of the best posts I've read in years regarding race issues. The media does quite a number on black athletes I must say. We still hear about Kobe Bryant supposedly being a racist but when Brady knocked up two women after winning his first Super Bowl, no one was there to criticize him over it. I do believe the media is quite biased in the way they treat black athletes and criticize them for their character and off field behavior while they ignore it from white players.

If Tim Tebow was playing as poorly as Griffin has this year, they would be praising him and constantly bringing up "he's not arrogant! he's a good kid! he worships God!".

There is no such a thing as a "race card" cause racism really does exist. It didn't just end when a black man became president or when MLK achieved something. I do not like hearing this term whatsoever. I do not agree with Irvin at all, but to call this the "race card" is a joke. We could all day about white privilege if we wanted to have a discussion on this.

For the ego and arrogance, I don't think it's a race based thing cause there are plenty of white players that can be extremely arrogant in any sport.

Thank you for mentioning the "he's not black enough". I've had this discussion numerous times with black friends of mine, when McNabb was called this. It is so dumb and follows the stereotypes from the media on African Americans and it's very sad when people say dumb stuff like this to condemn black athletes.

I'm not a fan of Griffin at all but I don't like how the race thing has always been brought into it. This however was one of the best posts I've read in years regarding race issues. The media does quite a number on black athletes I must say. We still hear about Kobe Bryant supposedly being a racist but when Brady knocked up two women after winning his first Super Bowl, no one was there to criticize him over it. I do believe the media is quite biased in the way they treat black athletes and criticize them for their character and off field behavior while they ignore it from white players.

If Tim Tebow was playing as poorly as Griffin has this year, they would be praising him and constantly bringing up "he's not arrogant! he's a good kid! he worships God!".

I think people talk about the "race card" when someone injects race in a topic where it doesn't belong. And that happens often. It's trite and cliched, just like bringing up race is trite and cliched. Can't deny that it exists, though.

There is no white privilege and if you think there is today in 2013 then you need to travel.  Oprah has more power and money than 99% of caucasians on this planet.  The problem with people like you which is a sickness that you need to get rid of is "white guilt."  Whites are so scared today of being called a racist that they will NOT say a anything or even try anything.  Caucasians are a minority race on this planet.  White guilt and political correctness is far more prevalent and dangerous than white priviledge.

There is no white privilege and if you think there is today in 2013 then you need to travel. Oprah has more power and money than 99% of caucasians on this planet. The problem with people like you which is a sickness that you need to get rid of is "white guilt." Whites are so scared today of being called a racist that they will NOT say a anything or even try anything. Caucasians are a minority race on this planet. White guilt and political correctness is far more prevalent and dangerous than white priviledge.

You're out of your mind if you think there isn't privileges to being white. It's not even up for debate.

And your comment about Oprah makes absolutely no sense. Bill Gates has more money and power than 99% of the population. What's your point?

I honestly don't know the definition of being "black." 

Unfortunately, I do know what it feels like to be treated differently because I didn't look like everyone else. 

Posted · Hidden by Superman, December 14, 2013 - inflammatory
Hidden by Superman, December 14, 2013 - inflammatory

You're out of your mind if you think there isn't privileges to being white. It's not even up for debate.

And your comment about Oprah makes absolutely no sense. Bill Gates has more money and power than 99% of the population. What's your point?

What white priviledge?  Where does it exist?  And if it does exist then go donate your time in a inner city if "YOU" think it exists.

No one is holding back blacks.  Whites aren't.  Get over it and stop your offensive bizarre hatred towards whites.  It's offensive.  Whites do not have any control or power over anyone on this planet and if you think they do then get a real education, passport and go travel and stop looking at the world through the eyes of Sandra Fluke and Elizabeth Warren.

There is no white priviledge in the 21st century especially in the U.S..  That is propaganda from people who are on the far left of the political spectrum and some on the far extreme left in the media.  People who think white priviledge exists use that as a scapegoat and an excuse for why some minorities aren't getting ahead.

When I see and hear white liberals talk about white priviledge they're the last human beings on this planet who donate their time and money to causes effecting minorities and they're the last people to even want to walk through an inner city.  Many liberals feel that as long as their show sympathy and empathy towards someone then that makes them exempt from actually donating their time and money to those people.

Look at Elizabeth Warren.  Here we have a white woman of european decent who's ancestors killed native Americans and she had to lie and say she's a Cherokee just to get into Harvard so she can claim minority status.  There is NO white priviledge but there is minority priviledge at the most prestigious universites on earth called "Affirmative Action"

White Privilege: The New Frontier of White Guilt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qk9R3u0r00

You really don't like Griffin, huh???

I'll say something some might find a little provocative, but it's part of the discussion. I think some of the traits of Griffin's personality are very prevalent in the black community. (I say this as a black man, by the way.) Some of the arrogance and egotism is part of what black kids do when playing basketball or football or video games or walking through the mall or talking to girls or whatever. (And it's not just black kids, but it's definitely a part of the culture in urban areas.) They talk smack, they brag about their accomplishments, etc. The chest thumping and one-upping and so on is often intrinsic. 

That doesn't mean Griffin does these things because he's black, or that other races or cultures don't do these things also. But for some people, when they hear Griffin criticized for being arrogant or egotistical, they hear that as a blanket criticism of black culture. 

Then on the other hand, some black figures are criticized by other black people for not being black enough. Listen to Jim Brown's recent comments about Kobe Bryant. It's really sad, to be honest, and I'm not in any way a Kobe Bryant fan.

Back to Griffin, you add in the criticism of him as a "running quarterback," and a lot of people associate that with his race as well. So tie all these things in together, and it's not surprising that this issue of race keeps coming up, not to me.

I don't agree with Irvin's comments, of course. But it doesn't surprise me. 

Great post. I hated what Jim Brown said about Kobe. And I don't think it is fair. I am not a huge Kobe fan mostly because he plays for the Lakers but I really did not understand Brown's comments at all. You would think given his political activism that he would want to unite not divide.

And Irvin's comments came out of left field. They were toxic and have created more of a media storm that was unnecessary IMO.

I'm proud of who I am and proud of where my ancestors came from and all the things they contributed to the world through out human history and I don't need some random anonymous poster online to bash an entire race of people because it's become Hollywood Bill Maher Sarah Silverman MSNBC trendy to do so by a bunch of unemployed Occupy Wallstreet global youth movement losers who don't even pay federal income tax.  Go get a life.

There is no white priviledge in the U.S.....but there can be a debate on how Israeli's are not giving equal rights to Palestinians.

Most of the divisions in the world aren't due to race, but due to politics, religion and nationalism.

What white priviledge? Where does it exist? And if it does exist then go donate your time in a inner city if "YOU" think it exists.

No one is holding back blacks. Whites aren't. Get over it and stop your offensive bizarre hatred towards whites. It's offensive. Whites do not have any control or power over anyone on this planet and if you think they do then get a real education, passport and go travel and stop looking at the world through the eyes of Sandra Fluke and Elizabeth Warren.

There is no white priviledge in the 21st century especially in the U.S.. That is propaganda from people who are on the far left of the political spectrum and some on the far extreme left in the media. People who think white priviledge exists use that as a scapegoat and an excuse for why some minorities aren't getting ahead.

When I see and hear white liberals talk about white priviledge they're the last human beings on this planet who donate their time and money to causes effecting minorities and they're the last people to even want to walk through an inner city. Many liberals feel that as long as their show sympathy and empathy towards someone then that makes them exempt from actually donating their time and money to those people.

Look at Elizabeth Warren. Here we have a white woman of european decent who's ancestors killed native Americans and she had to lie and say she's a Cherokee just to get into Harvard so she can claim minority status. There is NO white priviledge but there is minority priviledge at the most prestigious universites on earth called "Affirmative Action"

White Privilege: The New Frontier of White Guilt

haha you must live in quite the fantasy land. I would go in more depth to respond to you, but I have no doubt either our posts would be deleted or the thread would be locked.

But do yourself a favor and look up statistics on who gets arrested more, for the exact same crime, whites of blacks. Spoiler alert. It's blacks. That's a fact.

Go look who gets paid more on average in this country for the exact same jobs. Heck who gets paid more on just the average. Spoiler alert. It's whites.

Not even a white or black issue. But familiarize yourself with the fact that the SAT, a test which can decide your entire future, is culturally biased towards whites.

Racial prejudices exist. That isn't an opinion it's fact. This country was built on those prejudices. Just because you choose to dismiss them, doesn't cause them to not exist.

It's not "white guilt", it's reality. Acknowledging that these things exist isn't guilt. Nothing is solved by pretending there isn't a problem.

I also don't hate white people, but being wrong is kind of your thing. So don't let me stop you.