Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wes Welker out for Thursdays game

amfootball

He's one concussion away from the Donk's not picking up their option for next season.

He was doing great at the start of the season but his production has waned. Will be interesting to see if they do pick up the option. I remember Kraft saying at the start of the year that he basically signed a one year deal to go to Denver as opposed to the two year deal NE was offering at less money of course. I think much depends on if he is able to finish the season and how he performs in the playoffs. Two concussions in three weeks is no joke. They need to be careful with him.

Well, Welker is close enough. :thmsup:

Wrong he is no longer a Patriot or haven't you heard :scratch:  You seem to keep closer track of Peyton and the Bronco's than you do of Brady. What's up since Gronk is out it looks as though  your getting worried about the rest of their season and playoff's :???:   If not maybe you should be. haha   They didn't do nearly as well when Gronk

was out at the first of the season. Remember :dunno:

Wrong he is no longer a Patriot or haven't you heard :scratch:  You seem to keep closer track of Peyton and the Bronco's than you do of Brady. What's up since Gronk is out it looks as though  your getting worried about the rest of their season and playoff's :???:   If not maybe you should be. haha   They didn't do nearly as well when Gronk

was out at the first of the season. Remember :dunno:

Excellent use of emoticons. :cheer2:

I keep track of the Broncos because the Pats are one game behind them for the 1 seed and both teams are considered the favs. I can only hope the O is good enough without Gronk. The new receivers have come on lately and of course Vareen too but I have faith in #12.

I do love this time of year when each game is so big.

I'm guessing he'll miss next week too,  but who knows? 

Week 17 will probably be hit/miss depending on if the Broncos need to win out for the #1 seed, and even then maybe he's not back yet. Denver should have at least a #2 seed in all likelihood which would give him an extra week of recovery time, if needed.

Yeah, I figured Wes would be out given the short week. It doesn't surprise me. I worry about a 2nd concussion in the same season so close together though. Denver is gonna need Wes in Playoffs don't push him too fast. God forbid Welker becomes the INDY version of Austin Collie. I root for Wes. I've always admired the guy & I want him healthy for the AFC Championship Rematch with NE. 

Okay, it's not technically a AFC Championship Game rematch. I know that, but I wanna see Manning vs Brady for a trip to the SB. It's familiar, it's compelling, it's gonna happen...

I do love this time of year when each game is so big.

What really makes this game interesting is that Philip Rivers is actually playing decent ball right now. Just when I'm about to throw Philip on the trash heap, he decides to bring his a game. RB Danny Woodhead always makes me nervous too. He just keeps churning those legs & can break any game wide open without proper gap control on defense. 1 tough hombre. I wish Denver had him with Moreno & Ball. A 3 headed beast...Man, that would be so spectacular for Peyton to lean on...I know, I know, it's only a pipe dream. Sigh...

I don't view this game a cake walk at all, but Denver should win it. 

And then they'll probably sign Edelman to replace him.  ;)

INDY will gladly take Edelman off your hands GoPats. As far as former hand me downs go, Adam Vinatieri has worked out great. 

I like this pattern NE trains em & we take em off your hands. All the benefits with very little work.  :yahoo: Only teasing buddy! 

Yeah, I realize you meant Denver, but Edelman could replace WR DHB though. Besides, Denver doesn't really need another offensive weapon anyway...

Imagine that a WR who can actually move & catch the freaking ball...Wow! I almost forgot what that looked like...

at age 32....Wes could be talked into retiring after this year..and I wouldn't blame him..

..You dont recover totally from multiple concussions...I think he'll always be at risk going forward

Plus the new wife will be weighing in on the matter as she should. Wes is a young man in life and has a lot to look forward to post football.

And then they'll probably sign Edelman to replace him.  ;)

That's not out of the question. I think if Julian finishes strong he'll have quite a few suitors. I hope the Patriots can ink him. The Donk's are going to fall apart over the next season or two and players know that. It'll hurt signings going forward. I think Julian wants to be a winner.

at age 32....Wes could be talked into retiring after this year..and I wouldn't blame him..

..You dont recover totally from multiple concussions...I think he'll always be at risk going forward

And as usual the Pats saw the writing on the wall before everyone else. A receiver at age 32 that had taken as many hits as Welker has is bound to break down.

And as usual the Pats saw the writing on the wall before everyone else. A receiver at age 32 that had taken as many hits as Welker has is bound to break down.

I just have a feeling that he's going to get another concussion or serious injury before the Donk's bow out of the PO's. NFL players are sharks and blood is in the water.

I just have a feeling that he's going to get another concussion or serious injury before the Donk's bow out of the PO's. NFL players are sharks and blood is in the water.

I think Manning has lost confidence in him as well. He had 8 TDs through the first six weeks and only two TDs since and the last three games he has 4 catches, 3 catches, and 5 catches.

Another thread bashing  Welker from a Pats fan on a Colts forum, shocker.

What bashing?

Welker's signing with Denver was the biggest off-season story. It bears talking about his season to date and how the deal worked out and Welker's performance. This is the first game he will miss since the playoffs in 2009.

I think Manning has lost confidence in him as well. He had 8 TDs through the first six weeks and only two TDs since and the last three games he has 4 catches, 3 catches, and 5 catches.

It is also a product of how teams are playing him. The 2 games vs the Chiefs and the Patriots game showed me how teams were rolling their double teams towards Welker and the ones who reaped the rewards were Decker, Julius Thomas (game 1 vs Chiefs before he went down for 2 games at Pats and at Chiefs) and Demaryius Thomas who had single coverage almost all the time.

It has nothing to do with confidence, you are reaching because you are on a mission to undermine Welker since the beginning of the season. You are just bitter towards him, hands down. :)

It is also a product of how teams are playing him. The 2 games vs the Chiefs and the Patriots game showed me how teams were rolling their double teams towards Welker and the ones who reaped the rewards were Decker, Julius Thomas (game 1 vs Chiefs before he went down for 2 games at Pats and at Chiefs) and Demaryius Thomas who had single coverage almost all the time.

It has nothing to do with confidence, you are reaching because you are on a mission to undermine Welker since the beginning of the season. You are just bitter towards him, hands down. :)

Oh please. You are the one not being objective here. I saw him wide open in the Pats game and Manning not look at him. I saw him open numerous times the last two weeks and drop the ball. And then of course the punt that he didn't want to field in NE.

If you look at his production the last few weeks his targets and receptions and TDs are down quite a bit since the first few weeks. I think it is a combination of things. Teams are playing him physical, Manning more often than not is looking to go deep rather then take the underneath stuff. He has also not been open in the red zone. And then the concussions. Either way you look at he has not been the nearly the factor the last few weeks as he was the first half of the season.

Oh please. You are the one not being objective here. I saw him wide open in the Pats game and Manning not look at him. I saw him open numerous times the last two weeks and drop the ball. And then of course the punt that he didn't want to field in NE.

If you look at his production the last few weeks his targets and receptions and TDs are down quite a bit since the first few weeks. I think it is a combination of things. Teams are playing him physical, Manning more often than not is looking to go deep rather then take the underneath stuff. He has also not been open in the red zone. And then the concussions. Either way you look at he has not been the nearly the factor the last few weeks as he was the first half of the season.

Given your posting history, that is the pot calling the kettle black. Then, you follow it up with saying "it is a combination of things". You are downright comical.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. :)

That's not out of the question. I think if Julian finishes strong he'll have quite a few suitors. I hope the Patriots can ink him. The Donk's are going to fall apart over the next season or two and players know that. It'll hurt signings going forward. I think Julian wants to be a winner.

Maybe Julian comes to the Colts??? ;)

We Colts fans would love that. :)

Smart move by the Patriots and Chiefs to double him. Why did someone else figure that out?

Smart move by the Patriots and Chiefs to double him. Why did someone else figure that out?

Because they were all enamored with the size of DT and rolling safety help to him, maybe??? :)

But then not many teams have Talib and Brandon Flowers to play DT 1-on-1 and not till the 2nd Chiefs game did Decker really come alive, IMO. He was running routes in full speed in that game, slightly different than previous games, just an observation.

Because they were all enamored with the size of DT and rolling safety help to him, maybe???  :)

But then not many teams have Talib and Brandon Flowers to play DT 1-on-1 and not till the 2nd Chiefs game did Decker really come alive, IMO. He was running routes in full speed in that game, slightly different than previous games, just an observation.

Point taken.

To think they almost let him walk last offseason... it took me a little while to come around on Edelman but they'd be in trouble without him right now! 

He's always shown flashes of talent but this has been his first season where he's had a chance to be a major contributor. He's also stayed healthy, which has helped. 

I wonder how much of Amendola's deal was guaranteed. They may end up cutting him and giving the money to Edelman instead. 

To think they almost let him walk last offseason... it took me a little while to come around on Edelman but they'd be in trouble without him right now! 

He's always shown flashes of talent but this has been his first season where he's had a chance to be a major contributor. He's also stayed healthy, which has helped. 

I wonder how much of Amendola's deal was guaranteed. They may end up cutting him and giving the money to Edelman instead. 

I still see Amendola being a major contributor. I think he clicks this week and going forward. I focused on him quite a bit last week and he ready right now.

Because when all 4 (Wes, Erc and the Thomas Brothers) play...you cant double Welker and bracket DT

...If Thomas is out or Welker is out...you can shut down the middle of the field on Denver and force them to run the ball if they can

Because when all 4 (Wes, Erc and the Thomas Brothers) play...you cant double Welker and bracket DT

...If Thomas is out or Welker is out...you can shut down the middle of the field on Denver and force them to run the ball if they can

It is safe to say the Colts are the only team to beat the Broncos when all 4 - DT, Decker, Welker and Julius Thomas were playing. Just goes to show you how good we can be at home, when healthy.

I think the Luck era's homefield advantage for the Colts will surpass the Peyton era homefield advantage over time.

His base salary next year is $3m, of which $2m is guaranteed. And there's a $500k roster bonus to be paid as well. To cut him before the roster bonus is due, the Pats would take a cap penalty of $6.8m, which could be split between 2014 and 2015 if they chose to do so (would be $3.2m in 2014, and the remaining $3.6m in 2015). If they cut him after the roster bonus is due, they would take a cap penalty of $7.3m, and that would be split ($3.7m in 2014, and the remaining $3.6m in 2015).

I highly doubt they cut him. Would actually cost the team over $2m in cap space, rather than just keeping him through 2014. His cap hit is only $4.7m if you keep him. Then if you want to cut him before 2015, it costs you $3.6m as a cap penalty. Makes much more sense that way, especially for a team that will already be tight on cap space in 2014.

I didn't realize it until now, but the Pats have a problem in 2014, with a projected cap figure of $123m (and the cap is at $123m in 2013, and probably won't go up very much next year). You have Wilfork and Mankins with really big base salaries, and while there are savings from cutting either player, the savings is minimal. There's room to negotiate with either guy. It would cost you to cut Mayo or Gronkowski, and with smaller base salaries, there's not a lot of room to negotiate. Restructuring base salary into bonus would be tough in either case as well. Modest savings to be had from some releases (Tommy Kelly, Adrian Wilson, Sopoaga, etc.) But I don't know how much cap space this team can realistically try to create without getting rid of some key guys.

Edit: Based on the newly projected 2014 cap figure, the Pats have $1.9m in cap space. 

His base salary next year is $3m, of which $2m is guaranteed. And there's a $500k roster bonus to be paid as well. To cut him before the roster bonus is due, the Pats would take a cap penalty of $6.8m, which could be split between 2014 and 2015 if they chose to do so (would be $3.2m in 2014, and the remaining $3.6m in 2015). If they cut him after the roster bonus is due, they would take a cap penalty of $7.3m, and that would be split ($3.7m in 2014, and the remaining $3.6m in 2015).

I highly doubt they cut him. Would actually cost the team over $2m in cap space, rather than just keeping him through 2014. His cap hit is only $4.7m if you keep him. Then if you want to cut him before 2015, it costs you $3.6m as a cap penalty. Makes much more sense that way, especially for a team that will already be tight on cap space in 2014.

I didn't realize it until now, but the Pats have a problem in 2014, with a projected cap figure of $123m (and the cap is at $123m in 2013, and probably won't go up very much next year). You have Wilfork and Mankins with really big base salaries, and while there are savings from cutting either player, the savings is minimal. There's room to negotiate with either guy. It would cost you to cut Mayo or Gronkowski, and with smaller base salaries, there's not a lot of room to negotiate. Restructuring base salary into bonus would be tough in either case as well. Modest savings to be had from some releases (Tommy Kelly, Adrian Wilson, Sopoaga, etc.) But I don't know how much cap space this team can realistically try to create without getting rid of some key guys.

Great info, thanks! Sounds like it would be a problem to do anything with Amendola. Generally the Patriots do a good job managing the cap... the Krafts are, after-all, pretty savvy business people. 

Maybe he'll start producing a bit more as well. It's not like he's been a bust, but if anyone's made up for Welker's production, it's been Edelman (UFA at the end of the season, I believe) and not Amendola. 

Great info, thanks! Sounds like it would be a problem to do anything with Amendola. Generally the Patriots do a good job managing the cap... the Krafts are, after-all, pretty savvy business people. 

Maybe he'll start producing a bit more as well. It's not like he's been a bust, but if anyone's made up for Welker's production, it's been Edelman (UFA at the end of the season, I believe) and not Amendola. 

On Edelman, he sure is, and after this season, he'll get a big offer from someone. The Pats don't even have room to tag him at this point. Not that they would, but still. They have to make some big decisions if they want to keep him.