Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Playing time should be EARNED not given!

bluephantom87

As BAD as this team has been playing the past month in ALL phases of the game I have YET to see anyone get BENCHED. Changes only happen on this team due to injury. Chuck's same ol tired "things need to get fixed" after these games is getting old. Stop talking and make some changes. These slow starts are a DIRECT reflection of trying to establish that VAUNTED power running game early with Trent leading to no gains, long 3rd downs with many first half 3 and outs. Come out slinging it in the hurry up instead of WAITING to do so when you get DOWN by 21. I hope Jim takes a LONG look at this staff in the offseason because Pep needs to be sent packing QUICKLY before he turns Luck into the NEXT Sanchez and Greg Mac needs to ADD to his list of previous firings. A BAD coaching staff ALONG with a few BAD players can set you back years IF you stay the course. This team is young and talented enough to rebound with the RIGHT coaches onboard. Say what you want but Bruce was 9-3 last year as hc (winning COY honors) while Chuck was 2-3. Now Bruce is the talk of the town about the job he has done with the Cards (7-4) and reviving Palmer at the qb position. Others have said Big Ben or Luck have been the same since Bruce left. Mewhile Chuck and the "SMASH MOUTH" :facepalm: Colts look like a BASIC vanilla team that's SINKING fast with MOST experts OUTSIDE Indy questioning the coaching staff's game planning and schemes implemented compared to personnel at hand. 140 mil was spent in free agency coming into the season and I have YET to see one IMPACT player out the bunch for the money spent. Mr Irsay we have a problem...

As BAD as this team has been playing the past month in ALL phases of the game I have YET to see anyone get BENCHED. Changes only happen on this team due to injury. Chuck's same ol tired "things need to get fixed" after these games is getting old. Stop talking and make some changes. These slow starts are a DIRECT reflection of trying to establish that VAUNTED power running game early with Trent leading to no gains, long 3rd downs with many first half 3 and outs. Come out slinging it in the hurry up instead of WAITING to do so when you get DOWN by 21. I hope Jim takes a LONG look at this staff in the offseason because Pep needs to be sent packing QUICKLY before he turns Luck into the NEXT Sanchez and Greg Mac needs to ADD to his list of previous firings. A BAD coaching staff ALONG with a few BAD players can set you back years IF you stay the course. This team is young and talented enough to rebound with the RIGHT coaches onboard. Say what you want but Bruce was 9-3 last year as hc (winning COY honors) while Chuck was 2-3. Now Bruce is the talk of the town about the job he has done with the Cards (7-4) and reviving Palmer at the qb position. Others have said Big Ben or Luck have been the same since Bruce left. Mewhile Chuck and the "SMASH MOUTH" :facepalm: Colts look like a BASIC vanilla team that's SINKING fast with MOST experts OUTSIDE Indy questioning the coaching staff's game planning and schemes implemented compared to personnel at hand. 140 mil was spent in free agency coming into the season and I have YET to see one IMPACT player out the bunch for the money spent. Mr Irsay we have a problem...

u took the word right out my mouth pags stinks if he cant see we was clicking with mcgylnn at center why would u change it......satete is so bad why won't u bench him.....conner is better than pat why wont he start him.....pags has his guys ala reed reed taking up space of the real players , that he just wont bench player coaches always fan out quick in the nfl

The offseason was solid but Landry and Toler (injuries issues), i was OK with the additions but we need to get a WR and that was a really bad choice( cause we got a WR), and the OL was helped they got a solid RT, G, and a couple of rookies but things never go as expected on NFL, right now we really need to deal with injuries and poor playing but the staff is kind of weak ( cause Belichick would benched any player with that kind of performance), so i just hope they made changes on the team ( if they stay the same this can't be a no playoff season).

As BAD as this team has been playing the past month in ALL phases of the game I have YET to see anyone get BENCHED. Changes only happen on this team due to injury. Chuck's same ol tired "things need to get fixed" after these games is getting old. Stop talking and make some changes. These slow starts are a DIRECT reflection of trying to establish that VAUNTED power running game early with Trent leading to no gains, long 3rd downs with many first half 3 and outs. Come out slinging it in the hurry up instead of WAITING to do so when you get DOWN by 21. I hope Jim takes a LONG look at this staff in the offseason because Pep needs to be sent packing QUICKLY before he turns Luck into the NEXT Sanchez and Greg Mac needs to ADD to his list of previous firings. A BAD coaching staff ALONG with a few BAD players can set you back years IF you stay the course. This team is young and talented enough to rebound with the RIGHT coaches onboard. Say what you want but Bruce was 9-3 last year as hc (winning COY honors) while Chuck was 2-3. Now Bruce is the talk of the town about the job he has done with the Cards (7-4) and reviving Palmer at the qb position. Others have said Big Ben or Luck have been the same since Bruce left. Mewhile Chuck and the "SMASH MOUTH" :facepalm: Colts look like a BASIC vanilla team that's SINKING fast with MOST experts OUTSIDE Indy questioning the coaching staff's game planning and schemes implemented compared to personnel at hand. 140 mil was spent in free agency coming into the season and I have YET to see one IMPACT player out the bunch for the money spent. Mr Irsay we have a problem...

"As BAD as this team has been playing the past month in ALL phases of the game I have YET to see anyone get BENCHED. Changes only happen on this team due to injury"

I agree with the premise but who do you put in there? Conner is good at getting penetration into the backfield but is just as lost in coverage as Angerer....Harvey and Sheppard have not done well when dropping back in Zone either. Our Guard problems wont be fixed this year either....we only have 3....Mcglynn...Reitz (who is also not good opening up holes but is a superior pass blocker to Mcglynn but still not that good) and of course Mcglynn....who I would not want as a backup let alone our starter. Thornton is already in and has struggled mightily, He has made some good plays but its clear he is a rookie....I think Holmes is very athletic but in the preseason when he was in he showed a lack of technique and strength so I don't think they would put him in. The only person I don't get why the coaching staff has not put in there in Rogers honestly....a set nber of plays with him in mind to see what he can do.

"These slow starts are a DIRECT reflection of trying to establish that VAUNTED power running game early with Trent leading to no gains, long 3rd downs with many first half 3 and outs."

We are 13th in 3rd down percentage....We are 18th with 55 3rd down conversions (Not good) but we are 25th in 3rd down attempts(awful...I don't see why this gets overlooked so much),,,,,a high percentage of 3rd downs is good but when your only averaging 12.7 3rd down attempts a game (bottom half of the league)that's either a sign your offense is turning the ball over a lot (were not.....12 in 11 games) or your defense is not able to get off the field (they aren't....30:46 minutes spent on the field on average.....23rd in the league in penalties from the defensive side of the ball.....18th in 3rd downs given up. Were actually not as bad on offense as some make it out to be.....339.8 yards a game total on offense......None of this is to say we don't have problems or that Pep has been a perfect playcaller or imaginative because he has not and we have had our problems on offense BUT if we don't get to the QB on defense our defense gets abused(specifically or secondary and interior Linebackers). Arians has not exactly revived Palmer either....He is playing average just like he has his whole career..not bad, certainly not the worst but nothing outstanding.

None of this is to say I have been happy with everything on offense because I certainly haven't and given the chance I would have opted to do some different things but lets face it....with Reggie down we have young players who are going to be inconsistent no matter what we do along with a lack of talent at some positions on offense.

I did not even cover the amount of times Luck missed a wide open receiver underneath

Where is the perception coming from that we have all these great players laying in wait?

Believe it or not guys. The product on the field is close to as good as it gets unfortunately. Small tweaks aren't going to change the fact that we just don't have a super talented roster.

"As BAD as this team has been playing the past month in ALL phases of the game I have YET to see anyone get BENCHED. Changes only happen on this team due to injury"

I agree with the premise but who do you put in there? Conner is good at getting penetration into the backfield but is just as lost in coverage as Angerer....Harvey and Sheppard have not done well when dropping back in Zone either. Our Guard problems wont be fixed this year either....we only have 3....Mcglynn...Reitz (who is also not good opening up holes but is a superior pass blocker to Mcglynn but still not that good) and of course Mcglynn....who I would not want as a backup let alone our starter. Thornton is already in and has struggled mightily, He has made some good plays but its clear he is a rookie....I think Holmes is very athletic but in the preseason when he was in he showed a lack of technique and strength so I don't think they would put him in. The only person I don't get why the coaching staff has not put in there in Rogers honestly....a set nber of plays with him in mind to see what he can do.

"These slow starts are a DIRECT reflection of trying to establish that VAUNTED power running game early with Trent leading to no gains, long 3rd downs with many first half 3 and outs."

We are 13th in 3rd down percentage....We are 18th with 55 3rd down conversions (Not good) but we are 25th in 3rd down attempts(awful...I don't see why this gets overlooked so much),,,,,a high percentage of 3rd downs is good but when your only averaging 12.7 3rd down attempts a game (bottom half of the league)that's either a sign your offense is turning the ball over a lot (were not.....12 in 11 games) or your defense is not able to get off the field (they aren't....30:46 minutes spent on the field on average.....23rd in the league in penalties from the defensive side of the ball.....18th in 3rd downs given up. Were actually not as bad on offense as some make it out to be.....339.8 yards a game total on offense......None of this is to say we don't have problems or that Pep has been a perfect playcaller or imaginative because he has not and we have had our problems on offense BUT if we don't get to the QB on defense our defense gets abused(specifically or secondary and interior Linebackers). Arians has not exactly revived Palmer either....He is playing average just like he has his whole career..not bad, certainly not the worst but nothing outstanding.

None of this is to say I have been happy with everything on offense because I certainly haven't and given the chance I would have opted to do some different things but lets face it....with Reggie down we have young players who are going to be inconsistent no matter what we do along with a lack of talent at some positions on offense.

I did not even cover the amount of times Luck missed a wide open receiver underneath

Agree with some of your views but I must point out sometimes you HAVE to shake things up instead of standing pat. I'm not saying that ANY of the backups are better but as you pointed out some have certain strengths (which is WHY they made an NFL roster)that if they were the NEXT man up DUE to INJURY they would be playing anyway. Great coaches sit guys DOWN if they're NOT performing. I don't care if ONLY for a qrt because some of these guys NEED a wake up call. In the REAL world you get fired (sometimes on the spot) if you can't do the job while other jobs write you up on performance first (your warning) BEFORE letting you go. Being outscored 90 something to 13 the FIRST half of the last few games tells me the Colts have MAJOR problems that cannot just be swept under the rug. Too MANY excuses. Reggie DOESN'T play DEFENSE or COACH!!!! People keep acting like all of a sudden the Colts are BARE on offense. That o-line was WORSE last year than this gruesome bunch now. Pep didn't inherit a ROOKIE qb but one who SET numerous RECORDS last year. TY, Coby and Brazill are not rookies and played major roles in some of those wins last year. T Rich is a number 3 pick OVERALL behind Luck and RGIII. Donald Brown a former 1st round pick. DHB has elite speed. ALL have deficiencies but it is up to PEP to find ways to UTILIZE their STRENGTHS. Split Donald wide with T Rich on the field and get one into space. Use DHB's speed on reverses or screen passes (since his hands are a ? mark) Give Rogers a chance. Garcon STARTED on the practice squad. TRY SOMETHING!!! Like Dan Marino said Luck's passes are starting to be off taget because of the constant PRESSURE and big hits that he's taking which has him trying to get rid of the ball QUICKLY because possessions have been limited. Defense can't get ANYBODY off the field!! At least when Rex and Marvin Lewis left the Ravens as dc's to become hc's they built strong defenses quickly. I'm quite sure Chuck had say in these average yet sevicable free agents brought in on the defensive side of the ball yet MATHIS is STILL your ONLY playmaker. RJF should have been BENCHED alone for that LONG celebration DOWN 24-3 because he got a sack against Carson. EVERYBODY sacks Palmer. It's not like he had a strip sack or caused a fumble. The Cards got a first down the next play. Chuck and this staff of subpar coaches will have the Colts marred in MEDIOCRITY for YEARS to come IF Jim STAYS this route because GREATNESS is NOT on this staff. Chuck's ONLY plus is that the division is so BAD!! (not ONE team outside the Colts with a winning record)

I find it infuriating that Chuck has the nerve to say on his show last night that Rogers, Rainey have to go thru some acclimation process that takes time before they can play. First of all, Rogers has been here all season and what about that platitude that you are always spouting to fans Chuck that every player prepares as a starter because with next man up they are 1 play away from being on the field as a starter. But even worse, where was that acclimation process when Trent played on 3 days practice? IMO, any coach that uses where a player was picked or how big a contract he has as even a factor in determining how much a player sees the field is unqualified to coach. The league is replete with coaches who will play the player that is performing rather than the player with the contract, reputation, or high draft pick # beside his name. Russel Wilson immediately plays in front of Flynn despite Flynn being a brand new toy FA signing with a huge contract........that's how it's done coach......remember your own platitude Chuck about competition, "steel sharpens steel". Competition demands you only take in account what happens in practice and in games..... Not seniority, feelings, reputation, draft status, contract.

Do something instead of just talking.

As much as we hope that guys like Rodgers, McGlynn to C, Rainey, Link, Connor, etc... can come in and produce, they likely won't.

I agree with the sentiment that playing time should be earned, but these coaches don't seem to be wired like that.

We are just going to keep fielding the same group of players and hope that we can just beat the other team. 

Glad to see Jim has spoken via Twitter and let it be known he is not pleased with the lack of adjustments with this coaching staff. I feel Chuck TALKS a good game but that's ALL it is. He lacks the moxy or imagination to be one of the greats. Good coaches make it happen and mediocrity will NOT be tolerated from the staff or players because they WANT to be the best IF given a chance. I said after a few games that it wouldn't take opposing dc's long to figure out Pep's BASIC offense that DIDN'T fit THIS team and Luck would go from record breaker to "game manager" with lackluster numbers. Why even hire Greg Mac as the dc whose past failures of running vanilla schemes have lead to his dismissal at previous stops. Smh....