Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Crazy Bronco Roster Moves & their awful draft of 2013

bayone

Just tuesday  they elevated  & activate WR  Traversis King a speedy , tall  fifth round  as Packers were going to takle him off their practice squad, kid is happy as u know what

Broincos waived a saty I think adrian something to make room for king

the Green Bay Packers tried to sign rookie wide receiver Tavarres King to their active roster off the Denver Broncos' practice squad. This forced the Broncos to make a move.

Not wanting King to sign elsewhere, Denver activated him to their own 53-man roster on Tuesday. 

King wanted to stay in Denver and the Broncos did not want to lose him, so in a way, the Packers played a beneficial role for King.

But just when King was about to write a thank you not to Green Bay, he is now jobless.

Denver Waives King to activate Miller and may resign him to PS if clears waivers

'King finished his college &  (  Georgia. ) career with 207 catches for 3,726 yards and 37 receiving touchdowns

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/10/19/4855718/denver-broncos-waive-tavarres-king-to-make-room-for-von-miller-on-53

Meanwhile for all the Good 1st rpound pick Sly Williams is  doing and 2nd round Montee  no hands v ball

( taken ahead of a well playing Ed Lacy )

Save for #  3 Draft Choice Webster at CB  who does come in often they really arent getting much out of the draft and probably could of used 1st pick on a really good CB as rankled 32 in the league Vs Pass

no # 4 , & other # 5 Smith, Quanterus is on  IR

6th rounf OL Tackle  Painter, Vinston is nowhere to be seen

& 7th QB Dysert, Zac is there to back up Brock Oeweiler ? 

Also Free agent pick up  CB/Saftey Qunitam jammer isnt much ado about anything eoither 

Just imagine if picked better with some more early round contributers this team d could of been oh so much better , or just Lacy teamed with Moreno , great combination , maan they could of really drafted wisely and been even better all around

The release appears dysfunctional, but isn't it actually shrewd? They would have released LB Robinson to make room for Miller anyway. This was all about protecting King, and they may have succeeded. He is obviously going right back on the practice squad unless the Pack is still looking. The optimistic quotes from King mean nothing, what else is he going to say? He may even get a better contract out of this. He only goes elsewhere if he chooses to, and he has a clear chance to replace Caldwell or Decker if he keeps working. If they end up loosing him it's a reflection of the teams depth, not their drafting poorly.

I'm not down on their draft. I didn't expect much immediate help from draft picks on a 13-3 team that signed a ton of free agents in an effort to win now. Williams can't get on the field because the other guys are playing great ahead of him. He should be a stud in the future.  Ball is just getting started. The primary reason he hasn't played is because Moreno is doing terrific. Lacy may be doing better than Ball, but the question is is he doing better than Moreno? I like their RBs. The issue with Lacy was his foot, and it's way too early to tell if the Packers gamble was sound. Dysert was too low a pick to care about. Yes, he is taking a roster spot, but that's because he played so well in pre-season. That's a good thing. He or whats-his-name may well be traded if Peyton keeps going and going. They are keeping their options open. 

A brand new CB wouldn't have been remotely as useful as DRC. As you said, Webster looks good. Two draftees at CB couldn't have fit on the roster. They said they took Williams because he's a rare talent who fell to them. I have no issues with that. Who would you have rather they took? They have talent at DB - clearly evident in games 1-4 - although perhaps some need a refresher course in tackling. What they need are Woodyard and Miller back. Depth at LB has obviously been the the issue - with three injuries and the suspension - none of which could have been foreseen on draft day. 

Woodyard walks off the field and they are a different team. He might arguably be more important than either Miller or Bailey. As you well know, miss all three (and Ayers, and Bradley) and you give up 48 points to the Cowboys. I think their defense will be solid UNLESS it turns out that Bailey is "done", or if Woodyard is limited long term.

I don't know about you, but when the suspension was announced I was guessing that they would lose to a game or two by now. It's really hard to find something to complain about other than the injuries.

The release appears dysfunctional, but isn't it actually shrewd? They would have released LB Robinson to make room for Miller anyway. This was all about protecting King, and they may have succeeded. He is obviously going right back on the practice squad unless the Pack is still looking. The optimistic quotes from King mean nothing, what else is he going to say? He may even get a better contract out of this. He only goes elsewhere if he chooses to, and he has a clear chance to replace Caldwell or Decker if he keeps working. If they end up loosing him it's a reflection of the teams depth, not their drafting poorly.

I'm not down on their draft. I didn't expect much immediate help from draft picks on a 13-3 team that signed a ton of free agents in an effort to win now. Williams can't get on the field because the other guys are playing great ahead of him. He should be a stud in the future.  Ball is just getting started. The primary reason he hasn't played is because Moreno is doing terrific. Lacy may be doing better than Ball, but the question is is he doing better than Moreno? I like their RBs. The issue with Lacy was his foot, and it's way too early to tell if the Packers gamble was sound. Dysert was too low a pick to care about. Yes, he is taking a roster spot, but that's because he played so well in pre-season. That's a good thing. He or whats-his-name may well be traded if Peyton keeps going and going. They are keeping their options open. 

A brand new CB wouldn't have been remotely as useful as DRC. As you said, Webster looks good. Two draftees at CB couldn't have fit on the roster. They said they took Williams because he's a rare talent who fell to them. I have no issues with that. Who would you have rather they took? They have talent at DB - clearly evident in games 1-4 - although perhaps some need a refresher course in tackling. What they need are Woodyard and Miller back. Depth at LB has obviously been the the issue - with three injuries and the suspension - none of which could have been foreseen on draft day. 

Woodyard walks off the field and they are a different team. He might arguably be more important than either Miller or Bailey. As you well know, miss all three (and Ayers, and Bradley) and you give up 48 points to the Cowboys. I think their defense will be solid UNLESS it turns out that Bailey is "done", or if Woodyard is limited long term.

I don't know about you, but when the suspension was announced I was guessing that they would lose to a game or two by now. It's really hard to find something to complain about other than the injuries.

I was thinking about writing a post, then I read yours....when something is perfectly stated, why waste time and space restating it :thmup:

but isn't it actually shrewd? 

absoluitley if gets works out that packers dont take him, but feel for the guy as could of been acxtive for packers, but yes good move by denver

if he learns to catch better he can be excellent & easily stretch the field

I didn't expect much immediate help from draft picks on a 13-3 team

They did from Ball and thought by mid season he could be starter as did many a so called analyst, he caught some, not much thown to but caught the ball ,  and never fumbled in College , in pros he unexpectedly fumbled  in presesaon and regular and his catching is less than to be desired even when b no one is near him

I see your point about 2 CBs

No one thought Moreno would work this well, I must say he is giving 110 % all the time and Peyton has called right plays for him, his 7 TDs this year is = to his yearly high , if he can stay healthy and give same effort at years end it would be stellar, Denver is definitely hoping Hillman stops fumbling, he catches fine & ball gets up to speed, they would like to spell Moreno more and keep legs fresh, they were highly disappointed when he had great run on first carry last game and then fumbled again

The issue with Lacy was his foot,

Yes his toe had a problem history and thats why they didnt draft him they said,

WEBSTER

is playing better than expected and exactly what they wanted from him, he hits hard they always said thats 1 reason drafted way ahead of where predicted, , its easy yes to look back and say they could of got him later but he is playing truly physical and hard good tackler

Understand your point at QB pick, if one gets traded for a better player thats helps later, if one ever gets  a few chances to showcsse skkills

IIf anything I really didnt like Brock last year as the 2nd pick in a pick   to  a win all now  draft pick season as Elway put it, buit understand they hope this 6 foot 7 but thin QB learns from Peyton and can easiily see over and throw over all , maybe evewn JJ watt can block a pass from this tall one

. Depth at LB is an issue

agreed , and to  Denvers  credit  MIKE  Woodyard, Wesley   a team captain, & Safety Duke Ihenacho  Are both excellent undrafted players

Yes I thought they would also have a loss or 2 by now

Sly they acknowleege is having a rough time ,learning the system  but yes its  his first year, they would like him to help collapse the interior pocket on passing downs but often is a game day healthy inactive ^ when plays only has a few tackles and no push,

However 2nd year player Malik Jackson has come on quite well this year showing big improvement ,

if sly lives up to potential next year or 2 they will be correct, again the so called analysts thought he would provide pocket collapse this year

Finally  Quint Smith , before hurt acl with tear was leading sacker in college , only thing so far was they were hoping hed play this season starting midseason to game 10 to start learning the speed of the NFL and come on strong next year, but apparently his knee was worse than they thought or had a setback and thus on IR, if he lives up to potential they would have a steal in the draft  

OOPS Winston Painter is final ,   I really have no idea whats going on with him, think they would like him to develop as a sub swing tackle just like Clark now at LT who is far exceeding anything I could of thought possible both in run blocking and pass protection

MAC, thanks for responding , for some reason i thought I would be getting a noted comment , not another wasted topic, your response alone makes my time worthwhile

Again enjoy the game  & have a great weekend if we don't exchange more comments first,, Good Night now

PS I did agree on the Sly & Ball pick when made, just disappointed they havent been what was expected yet, especially ball

I was thinking about writing a post, then I read yours....when something is perfectly stated, why waste time and space restating it :thmup:

I'm not sure that that would stop me actually :P  Thanks.

Actually in my harping on the recent defensive issues, I forgot to remind people that Chris Harris also was injured in the Cowboys game, and Travathan had been banged up the week before. My take was that he started out looking ineffective in that game and was pulled, then had to come back in to take a lot of snaps anyway when Woodyard was hurt. They had no answer for anything in the middle of the field, and Dallas has some excellent skill players. The fact that Travathan ultimately made the game clinching interception is actually astonishing. At some point in all this (don't recall exactly when) Ihenacho was hurt as well. Mike Adams played a lot last week.

Talking about the draft and King, but the defense is more on my mind at the moment. With all the injuries they are certainly vulnerable to a good QB, so Andrew may well have a field day. But to say that they "stink" as many assume simply because of the points allowed and passing yards given up is simply ill informed.

I'm not sure that that would stop me actually :P  Thanks.

Actually in my harping on the recent defensive issues, I forgot to remind people that Chris Harris also was injured in the Cowboys game, and Travathan had been banged up the week before. My take was that he started out looking ineffective in that game and was pulled, then had to come back in to take a lot of snaps anyway when Woodyard was hurt. They had no answer for anything in the middle of the field, and Dallas has some excellent skill players. The fact that Travathan ultimately made the game clinching interception is actually astonishing. At some point in all this (don't recall exactly when) Ihenacho was hurt as well. Mike Adams played a lot last week.

Talking about the draft and King, but the defense is more on my mind at the moment. With all the injuries they are certainly vulnerable to a good QB, so Andrew may well have a field day. But to say that they "stink" as many assume simply because of the points allowed and passing yards given up is simply ill informed.

Andrew may well have a field day. 

If we can hold onto the balls when thrown i totally agree 

Luck should attack that middle with Wayne esp if Bailey on him, Bailey admits he was rusty and will have lis franc pain  for  rest of year at least,

forgot also Harris last week was post concussion, & yes Duke was carted off field i think in practice  , but luckily MRI showed no injury to knee & played that week too I think 

That was a great IT he Dan T.  lunged out to get it 

Woodward truly is a key defensive player, ,

This week a great match up is Butler Vs Welker to me

anyway now shutting this thing so again goodnight

I ran out of likes MAC. A nicely written piece of prose there my friend.  :thmup:

They did from Ball and thought by mid season he could be starter as did many a so called analyst,

WEBSTER

is playing better than expected and exactly what they wanted from him, he hits hard they always said thats 1 reason drafted way ahead of where predicted,

I really didnt like Brock last year as the 2nd pick in a pick   to  a win all now  draft pick season as Elway put it,

Sly they acknowleege is having a rough time ,learning the system  but yes its  his first year, they would like him to help collapse the interior pocket on passing downs but often is a game day healthy inactive ^ when plays only has a few tackles and no push,

Finally  Quint Smith , before hurt acl with tear was leading sacker in college , only thing so far was they were hoping hed play this season starting midseason to game 10 to start learning the speed of the NFL and come on strong next year, but apparently his knee was worse than they thought or had a setback and thus on IR, if he lives up to potential they would have a steal in the draft  

OOPS Winston Painter is final ,   I really have no idea whats going on with him, think they would like him to develop as a sub swing tackle just like Clark now at LT who is far exceeding anything I could of thought possible both in run blocking and pass protection

Ball - it's not mid-season yet. ;) The fumbles are concerning (and frankly I wasn't all that impressed watching his college highlights) but he has still managed to show a little something. I have to think that he will make an impact this season.

Webster - In his college highlights he looks more like a safety - I thought they might move him. He fills a much needed roll, and perhaps will make more of an impact short-term than people expected.

Brock - hated the pick as well since I'm only following them because of Peyton. Could have had an impact player. I go so far as to root against him in pre-season games out of fear of a QB controversy brewing in two years if he develops into something. The long-term interests of the Broncos are of little concern to me.

Williams - I've heard the "push" comments from you but haven't read about it. It's concerning, but considering that he's so explosive JDR was practically drooling when he was drafted, I have to assume that it's mostly technique. A year of lifting and learning and he could be special.

Smith - I was hoping he would immediately help replace Dumervil, but they've got the bodies elsewhere. It's actually helpful that he's injured so they can store him safely. Who knows if Phillips will be back, etc.

Painter - who knows. I doubt that anyone had immediate expectations for a sixth round lineman. Another project that may well pay off.

Either way, it's WAY too early to judge this draft

Ball - it's not mid-season yet. ;) The fumbles are concerning (and frankly I wasn't all that impressed watching his college highlights) but he has still managed to show a little something. I have to think that he will make an impact this season.

That's being quite charitable. I keep having Ron Dane flashbacks. A very good college back that never really set the NFL on fire. It makes me wonder if John Fox & John Elway are wishing that they pulled the draft trigger on RB Eddie Lacy now. Ball has a knack for fumbling the ball at the absolute worst possible time. I don't share your optimism about Ball's successful mid to late season contribution MAC. I would love to be proven wrong though. 

Maybe SW1 is being too harsh too early, but I didn't anticipate a touted college back to have issues holding on to the darn ball. It's very frustrating. UW-Madison has always prided itself on the ground & pound philosophy why can't Montee maintain possession of the ball at the next level? It ticks me off. The RB position is the easiest transition from college to the pros or it is supposed to be anyway. Sigh...

Guest TeamLoloJones

That's being quite charitable. I keep having Ron Dane flashbacks. A very good college back that never really set the NFL on fire. It makes me wonder if John Fox & John Elway are wishing that they pulled the draft trigger on RB Eddie Lacy now. Ball has a knack for fumbling the ball at the absolute worst possible time. I don't share your optimism about Ball's successful mid to late season contribution MAC. I would love to be proven wrong though. 

Maybe SW1 is being too harsh too early, but I didn't anticipate a touted college back to have issues holding on to the darn ball. It's very frustrating. UW-Madison has always prided itself on the ground & pound philosophy why can't Montee maintain possession of the ball at the next level? It ticks me off. The RB position is the easiest transition from college to the pros or it is supposed to be anyway. Sigh...

Just curious...why are you upset with what a Bronco's player is doing?

Because he went to my alma mater UW-Madison & I tend to follow a lot of athletes from my university as they transition into the NFL: Joe Thomas, Russel Wilson, JJ Watt, Owen Daniels, & even Travis Frederick. It's who I am. It's what I do. 

Also, just because the Indianapolis Colts are my favorite football team, I pride myself on embracing talented players across the entire NFL landscape. 

And I'm just curious about why you would come into a thread about the Broncos, and then challenge a member about why he's writing about the Broncos? This is the "NFL General" forum.

Are you interested in the Broncos draft, or did you just come here to try to make those who are interested uncomfortable?

Guest TeamLoloJones

Because he went to my alma mater UW-Madison & I tend to follow a lot of athletes as they transition into the NFL: Joe Thomas, Russel Wilson, JJ Watt, Owen Daniels, & even Travis Frederick. It's who I am. It's what I do. 

Also, just because the Indianapolis Colts are my favorite football team, I pride myself on embracing talented players across the entire NFL landscape. 

Ok gotcha...I do the same for my Hawkeye players, problem is we haven't had much the last few years to be too proud of.  Should have a few guys get good draft grades this year in James Morris and B.J. Lowery.  The guy I'm holding out for is our Sophmore O-lineman Austin Blythe.  I think he could be a top 10 pick in 2015.

Guest TeamLoloJones

And I'm just curious about why you would come into a thread about the Broncos, and then challenge a member about why he's writing about the Broncos? This is the "NFL General" forum.

Are you interested in the Broncos draft, or did you just come here to try to make those who are interested uncomfortable?

It's not that he's writing about someone, it's that he was mad about how a player on another team is playing.  Obviously I don't care if he talks about another player, but people don't usually get ticked off when another team's player does poorly. 

Ok gotcha...I do the same for my Hawkeye players, problem is we haven't had much the last few years to be too proud of.  Should have a few guys get good draft grades this year in James Morris and B.J. Lowery.  The guy I'm holding out for is our Sophmore O-lineman Austin Blythe.  I think he could be a top 10 pick in 2015.

No worries TLJ. I took no umbrage or offense to your question at all. Thanks for the backup MAC. I appreciate it. We are all friends here. It's cool. No harm done. 

Keep in mind..Julius Thomas was considered a bust until this year.

..and now he's headed for 1,000 yards

..its hard to evaluate rookies

Julius  always got hurt , but showed great flashes  & potential  with great

athletic ability each preseason before getting hurt , and this preseason all wanted to see if his production  would translate to regular season and it has , was never bust per se just injury issues

Webster - In his college highlights he looks more like a safety - I thought they might move him. He fills a much needed roll, and perhaps will make more of an impact short-term than people expected.

Brock - hated the pick as well since I'm only following them because of Peyton. Could have had an impact player. I go so far as to root against him in pre-season games out of fear of a QB controversy brewing in two years if he develops into something. The long-term interests of the Broncos are of little concern to me.

Williams - I've heard the "push" comments from you but haven't read about it. It's concerning, but considering that he's so explosive JDR was practically drooling when he was drafted, I have to assume that it's mostly technique. A year of lifting and learning and he could be special.

Smith - I was hoping he would immediately help replace Dumervil, but they've got the bodies elsewhere. It's actually helpful that he's injured so they can store him safely. Who knows if Phillips will be back, etc.

Painter - who knows. I doubt that anyone had immediate expectations for a sixth round lineman. Another project that may well pay off.

will Wait on Ball till his learning curve catches up as long as Moreno stays healthy

I too thought webster would be moved to safety

Brock - hated the pick as well since I'm only following them because of Peyton. Could have had an impact player.

& that's the only reason I too am following this team

same feeling as u on smith and painter ---  so far ayers and Phillips  doing well

Am hoping next year williams take 2nd year BIG leap , Yes that entire organization and so called analysts thought great pick but more immediate impact, for some the adjustment is just harder , Wolfe starting last year was a fluke as original starter went down in preseason and put on IR and having Miller there helped him alot

as said before that leap has been shown by a much later 5th round  pick Malik Jackson from year before who has really shown some ability this year

Nice conversing but may or may not be able to continue , Barry

PS - I guess I titled this thread based on having expectations of Ball & Williams showing alot more so far

as said before  I agree but it didnt work out

Tavarres King is now a Carolina Panther

article notes

Curious move that the Broncos would put him on the active roster only to cut him.  But I suppose they didn't really think out the gamesmanship entirely.

((( & then says ))

If they wanted him bad enough, they would have cut one of the other scrubs we have at the bottom of our 53-man roster.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/10/21/4863650/tavarres-king-is-now-a-carolina-panther

this is in Denver post 

Denver Broncos need to pick it up in the NFL draft

Is John Elway really any better at drafting NFL talent than Josh McDaniels?

While it's too early to declare the drafts of 2012 and 2013 as busts, the young players taken recently by Elway are slow NFL learners.

"The way that we're fumbling, it's just unacceptable," Broncos offense coordinator Adam Gase said Thursday. "We've got to get this fixed."

Young Denver players have dropped the ball for a Broncos team built to win now.

Second-guessing any NFL draft with 20/20 hindsight is easy.

But it's hard to swallow the idea that Hillman, a second-year pro, and Montee Ball, a second-round draft choice in 2013, have combined to lose three fumbles but score only one touchdown in 83 carries this season, while rookie Eddie Lacy has rushed for 352 yards, scored two touchdowns and lost one fumble in 83 carries for Green Bay.

It's a head-scratcher to think the Broncos used the 57th pick in the 2012 draft on quarterback Brock Osweiler, who might not start three games during the next three years, when the 58th choice that same year was outside linebacker Lavonte David, performing now at a Pro Bowl level for Tampa Bay.

With their 14 picks in the 2012 and 2013 drafts, the Broncos have found two starters: defensive end Derek Wolfe and outside linebacker Danny Trevathan. That's not a disaster. But it's not impressive, especially when you consider Indianapolis has produced four starters and Seattle culled five young starters from the league's two most recent drafts of college prospects.

ARTICLE GOES ON & ENDS

saying 2011 was good draft but was it any better than Josh McDaniels 2010 

In 2011, Elway landed starting pass-rushing monster Von Miller, safety Rahim Moore, currently injured offensive tackle Orlando Franklin and linebacker Nate Irving. That was some sweet work. But was Elway's first draft really more important in building this championship contender than the 2010 draft by McDaniels, who brought Demaryius Thomas, Zane Beadles, J.D. Walton and Eric Decker to town?

&

Re the younger players drafted 

With nine games remaining in the regular season, there's time for Wolfe, Hillman, Williams and Ball to overcome slow starts and grow into major contributors.

But they better be ready by playoff time.

When it's Super Bowl or bust, the last thing the Broncos need is for ballyhooed draft prospects to get busted for being overrated

Read more: Kiszla: Denver Broncos need to pick it up in the NFL draft - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_24383585/denver-broncos-nfl-draft-need-mark-kiszla-pick-it-up#ixzz2iiuGyzrW 

Every team could cherry pick the draft from hindsight. I didn't like their last two second rd picks for sure but its easy for me to say why draft Ball when you have Hillman and Moreno on the squad filling the thunder and lightening roles I was not sold on the need for adding a rb....at least one from the second rd. I've seen many veteren rbs that could pass protect and run a draw which is almost all the Broncos could have needed in a 3rd stringer. I hated the Osweiler pick then, now, and in the future. He was a terrible reach. Not only were there better qbs in that draft taken later than him why spend a pick on one? If Peyton couldn't play they would have needed a vet to step in for a few weeks...not a fresh faced rookie who was considered pretty raw by everyone. I just didn't like the pick at all. I have no clue who they should have taken but qb wasn't a need...to me the days of grooming a replacement (and its hard to do when your starter takes all the reps) are long gone. I know we have seen a couple do it (Kaep and Rodgers) in recent years but to me....you either have it (Luck, Cam, RGIII, Ryan) or you don't....see countless guys who are backups and will always be backups. To me...Brock is never going to be a franchise guy....I don't see the talent there...I guess they did...but I haven't seen it. Lord knows they have plenty of need on that defense...specifically LB, CB.

How is Elway's drafting as a whole?  I feel like he is not a very good talent evaluator.  He just signed a ton of free agents

up and down IMO.

Bodden has been a disapointment...Ball doesnt see the field. Nate irving is finnally starting...jury still out on Sy williams. IMO they lack CB's and DE.