Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The reason why we like Andrew Luck

chad hugo

Hey Southwest,

Always enjoy your posts. But I have a question for you? Given your stance on Luck being the heads down player who shuns exposure (for now anyways), how do  you feel about Peyton? He has the most endorsements of an NFL player in the history of game. His Papa John's commercial came out before the ink on his Broncos contract was dry. Personally, I have no issue with it as his play on the field is superb as is his preparation and he knows how to balance the two. I see the same with RG. Won his division last year, ROY, rehabbed like a mad man to get back on the field this year for game 1. So, not sure why he is getting the lashing from you?

Sorry about that amfootball. I completely flew right past your Peyton question. It was not intentional I promise you SW1 just didn't see it initially. Like Jvan said, Peyton didn't grab every endorsement deal at his disposal in 1998. Now, is it right to condemn RG3 for taking lucrative deals offered to him? No, this is America. Feel free to cash in, but remember with notoriety comes pressure, high standards, & a level of expectations that must be met year in; year out. Look at Panthers QB Cam Newton: He took the world by storm his rookie year & is struggling right now. My point is this: Humility goes a long way to lowering expectations, fans cutting a QB considerable slack, & allowing QBs time to breathe & develop more gradually. 

Peyton has a SB ring, multiple division titles, & 4 MVP awards under his belt. He NFL legacy is secure. Nothing will diminish or detract from it. 18 can only add to his reputation. Manning is a made man in this league. 

Sorry about that amfootball. I completely flew right past your Peyton question. It was not intentional I promise you SW1 just didn't see it initially. Like Jvan said, Peyton didn't grab every endorsement deal at his disposal in 1998. Now, is it right to condemn RG3 for taking lucrative deals offered to him? No, this is America. Feel free to cash in, but remember with notoriety comes pressure, high standards, & a level of expectations that must be met year in; year out. Look at Panthers QB Cam Newton: He took the world by storm his rookie year & is struggling right now. My point is this: Humility goes a long way to lowering expectations, fans cutting a QB considerable slack, & allowing QBs time to breathe & develop more gradually. 

Peyton has a SB ring, multiple division titles, & 4 MVP awards under his belt. He NFL legacy is secure. Nothing will diminish or detract from it. 18 can only add to his reputation. Manning is a made man in this league. 

I don't think you are being very objective here my friend. Peyton did not win a playoff game until his sixth season and considered by many then as the QB that could not win when it counted. His one Super Bowl win came in a 3TD and 7 pick effort largely led by his run game, defense and Adam V.  You can't criticize RG on the one hand and say he has not earned anything when he was the Heisman trophy winner and ROY in his first season when Manning had none of that when he entered the NFL and after his abysmal first season and no playoff wins until 2003. And again, the media landscape is different as well. Imagine if Manning came out last year as RG did what type of deals he would have signed....

Chad Johnson is an interesting case because he was a veteran WR who never won anything noteworthy except having a good year in 2005 before then QB Carson Palmer got hurt derailing a possible deep Playoffs run.  He wasn't sharp enough to master the NE playbook in Foxboro, but in Chad's defense, I will admit that Bill Belichick does demand a lot from his players expecting them to carryout a number of responsibilities on the field. Hades, I probably wouldn't be smart enough to master it either to be honest with ya. I kind of felt sorry for Chad in Miami. I do not condone violence against women, children, or anyone, but I am a firm believer in 2nd chances as long as you get help through anger management classes etc. I just felt bad for how his career ended.

For me, the thing with Chad that bugged me as a Bengal WR is that he never seemed publicly to take his duties seriously. I'm not saying that he didn't work hard. It just seemed like he enjoyed befriending the media too much & acting like a court jester or joker too much. It was always some long list of DBs who he believed couldn't cover him or some joke to make reporters crack a smile. After awhile, I viewed him more as a comedian than a seasoned threat on a football field. At some point, I wanna see some passion, anger, & commitment to winning. I joke around a lot myself, but I also know when to drop the antics & get serious too. Also, Mr. Johnson always seemed consumed by his celebrity status off the field vs honing his route running & catches on the grid iron.  I don't hate Chad. I just wish he knew when to drop the class clown act & get serious. 

His years from 2003-2007 were quite impressive. He went to six pro bowls and was all pro three times. I don't disagree that toward the end of his career he became more comedian then player but I think all those years in Cincy really got to him.

My larger point was that his antics were meant to be funny and something to inspire his team vs. detract. I see RG the same way. His presence takes pressure off his teammates as he takes on the media head on. He says what he means and I find that refreshing. He is a tough kid who has a lot more pressure than just football. He is seen as a black QB that can not only run but throw. He also embraces the media and enjoys the pressure. That is rare. I realize it is not everyone's cup of tea but he is part of that new generation, i.e. Newton, Kaep, etc where it is more personal then before.