Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Angerer & Conner - #1 & #2 Tacklers (Split Discussion)

everybodysgotone

Again......four weeks into the season and what a distant memory Clint Session and his JAX 30M is. Angerer and Conner are the #1 and #2 tacklers in the league, respectively, and they're doing it with authority.

Tackle stats aren't very accurate. Coaches just throw them around, from what I've heard. I have been really happy with the play of Angerer and Conner so far.

Tackle stats aren't very accurate. Coaches just throw them around, from what I've heard. I have been really happy with the play of Angerer and Conner so far.

What tackle stats do reflect though is level of activity/involvement and I prefer that out of our LBs getting to the ball including backfield stops on RBs vs. disproportionate number of DB stops. Right now Angerer, Conner, Wheeler, Nevis, and also Bethea (who has also been helpful against the run) are among our top tacklers. The team has improved against the run (allowing 3.8ypc so far), which is good to see. Not settin' the world on fire but hey, it's one of our bright spots and something that I believe will get better.

What tackle stats do reflect though is level of activity/involvement and I prefer that out of our LBs getting to the ball including backfield stops on RBs vs. disproportionate number of DB stops. Right now Angerer, Conner, Wheeler, Nevis, and also Bethea (who has also been helpful against the run) are among our top tacklers. The team has improved against the run (allowing 3.8ypc so far), which is good to see. Not settin' the world on fire but hey, it's one of our bright spots and something that I believe will get better.

It may not be a positive reflection though. Our WILL's always had inflated tackle #'s because our DL was always getting washed out on runs. I think Cato June led the team, if not the league, in tackles one year. If you have the top two tacklers in the NFL on your team, what that is probably an indicator of is that your defense is having a lot of plays run against it.

It may not be a positive reflection though. Our WILL's always had inflated tackle #'s because our DL was always getting washed out on runs. I think Cato June led the team, if not the league, in tackles one year. If you have the top two tacklers in the NFL on your team, what that is probably an indicator of is that your defense is having a lot of plays run against it.

Good point!

You are right that there are to many oportunities for the Angerer and Connor to make tackles ie. to many plays run against us.

One thing I noticed on another thread was some people saying that this was the D lines fault, because the tackles should be made at the line.

This is silly, if you look at the top 50 tacklers going into week 5, 32 of them are linebackers and 0 of them are D linemen.

For those who discount the importnace of this stat as an indicator of the quality of both those guys play, the 15th top tackler in the league has 16 less tackles than Pat. Imagine if he failed to make 16 of the tackles he is credited for. Things would be real ugly!

Except that the dun defense is as good as it's been in awhile. Other then the long gash that essentially ended the bucs game I've got no complaints with the run D.

Meanwhile Session has 12(!) tackles on a team with one more win then we do. He was a nice player for us, but not worth the cash Jax game him.

Edited by Gonzo

Bottom line, we're improved on run D and our LBs have played much improved ball. Those facts stand on their own. Everyone was stressed out about Session leaving and that's now not only a non-issue but an apparent upgrade. We can judge that by season's end. There are plenty of other threads discussing defensive scheme, coaching, etc. I'm cognizant of what we deploy and the shortcomings. LB play is thus far a bright spot for us. End of file.

Id say these stats are pretty accurate, id like to think more than most stats. if only Conner can get better in his pass defense he would be a force on the field.

Although I feel the only improved factor of the Colts this year is our LB core, these stats are pretty misleading, and that's coming from a stat guy. Angerer is the tackler this team has needed, someone who wraps up and brings down. As easy as that sounds, no one on this roster in the last ten years has done that, and that's about all I can take away from these #s. What's even more impressive tho was Angerer didn't see much time in game 1.