Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we starting a Forum Pick'em league this year on the boards?

T Y Goodbye

Last year, Andy ran a pick'em league, where people posted their picks, and had a contest to see who could get the most picks...I sent him  PM a while back and haven't heard back as to if he is going to run one this year.

I don't have time to run it on the boards, but I could help out if people are interested in playing. We never picked any games but Sunday and Monday games, so we're ok in starting this up...but it has to be done soon....if we want to get the first week picks in..

I'm sending Andy another PM..if I don't hear back by Friday morning, I'll try to get one started, but I'll need help...Please throw a quick post here if you are interested in playing and/or helping out...Don't post any picks yet...just let me know if you are interested...that way, a new thread can be started...if we can get this going.

Thanks

I've run office football pools off and on from the late 80's to about 5 years ago, and the last few years that I did it I used a web site (pay - I don't think the free one's existed) - much like people do for fantasy football. I'd never go back.

Knowing Andy he likely wants to do this and feels some obligation to do this, but I don't blame him for not responding yet. I'm sure that he has much more important things to do with his time - and despite his protestations I know that it takes a LOT of time. I used to use a massive series of linked spreadsheets that I had spent DOZENS of hours designing just to SAVE time. The thought of running it manually through this forum is simply :omg:. Just extrapolating who it is that people want to pick from all the various and sundry colors and type faces and list orders - not to mention seeking out their posts in the first place - must be ridiculous. .

I vote for starting a group on one of the free sites (Yahoo, CBS, there are others). The pool will essentially run itself. In fact I wouldn't even play again the way that we did last year because frankly even if I'm thinking of no-one but myself, just participating in the manner we did last year is frustrating and not particularly rewarding. Standings should be available the minute the games are over, not when the poor guy running it has time to bang it out - subject to error corrections.

We can do our trash talking here, and preferably assign ourselves related user names on the other site as we have here so that everyone knows who is who.

But what we did last year? Andy, save yourself, just say :no: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thoughts?

I've run office football pools off and on from the late 80's to about 5 years ago, and the last few years that I did it I used a web site (pay - I don't think the free one's existed) - much like people do for fantasy football. I'd never go back.

Knowing Andy he likely wants to do this and feels some obligation to do this, but I don't blame him for not responding yet. I'm sure that he has much more important things to do with his time - and despite his protestations I know that it takes a LOT of time. I used to use a massive series of linked spreadsheets that I had spent DOZENS of hours designing just to SAVE time. The thought of running it manually through this forum is simply :omg:. Just extrapolating who it is that people want to pick from all the various and sundry colors and type faces and list orders - not to mention seeking out their posts in the first place - must be ridiculous. .

I vote for starting a group on one of the free sites (Yahoo, CBS, there are others). The pool will essentially run itself. In fact I wouldn't even play again the way that we did last year because frankly even if I'm thinking of no-one but myself, just participating in the manner we did last year is frustrating and not particularly rewarding. Standings should be available the minute the games are over, not when the poor guy running it has time to bang it out - subject to error corrections.

We can do our trash talking here, and preferably assign ourselves related user names on the other site as we have here so that everyone knows who is who.

But what we did last year? Andy, save yourself, just say :no: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thoughts?

Coltman51 already started a group in a yahoo league for pick'em...I've been asked if Andy was going to run one, so I am relaying the message. I know how busy Andy is, especially during this time of the season, but I had to ask, because I was asked about it from several people. If he doesn't want to, that's fine...I have no problem with that. People just want to know if there is going to be one here or not.

I don't run Coltman's league, I'm just a participant...You would have to ask him about that...

IT would be a lot easier to do it in a yahoo or other league, and i'm ok with that idea as well..But, I'm not starting a new yahoo league, that will go or take people away from one a Forum member has already established. That decision would be up to Coltman51....

I'll send him a PM...though i suspect he will read this already..and see what we can do...the only bad thing about this is that when we did it on the boards, Thursday and Sat games did not count, and since the season starts tomorrow, people just joining may lose picks in the yahoo site.

I'll try to let you know..

Thanks

Coltman51 already started a group in a yahoo league for pick'em...I've been asked if Andy was going to run one, so I am relaying the message. I know how busy Andy is, especially during this time of the season, but I had to ask, because I was asked about it from several people. If he doesn't want to, that's fine...I have no problem with that. People just want to know if there is going to be one here or not.

I don't run Coltman's league, I'm just a participant...You would have to ask him about that...

IT would be a lot easier to do it in a yahoo or other league, and i'm ok with that idea as well..But, I'm not starting a new yahoo league, that will go or take people away from one a Forum member has already established. That decision would be up to Coltman51....

I'll send him a PM...though i suspect he will read this already..and see what we can do...the only bad thing about this is that when we did it on the boards, Thursday and Sat games did not count, and since the season starts tomorrow, people just joining may lose picks in the yahoo site.

Thanks

I too, am in Coltman51's  other pickem league.    But I would be all for joining one on here again as well.

I enjoyed it last year.

Thanks

I had no idea that anyone had started a league, and that's usually the problem with someone doing that.

I have no problems joining Coltman51s pool, however to get any kind of participation as a "forum" pool a thread promoting it needs to be pinned (also to be used for help, trash, etc) and a link/invitation should probably be sent to everyone who was in it last year. Could even copy the results/standings with minimal effort to prompt said trash. All that people would need to do is go to yahoo (or wherever it is) once per week and click a box next to each pick - and these sites can usually be programmed to make your picks automatically (home/away/favorite/underdog/random) so they don't actually have to even do that.

Similarly I wouldn't worry about tomorrows game, it can probably be configured to not count for anyone - but there would be no reason to exclude any other Thurs game.

-----------

I have to go run a couple of errands - will follow up later.

I have a Pick "Em league set up at Yahoo Fantasy sports and all here are welcome to join if they are interested.  Posted earlier but wasn't seen obviously and I apologize for this late notice as season is about to begin.

You just have to go to Yahoo Fantasy Sports and click onto Pick "em. 

Click Join a League.

League ID is 4587

Password  is smart

Hope this gets out to those interested in time for all to participate.   This does the tracking for us,  lets you see your standings compared to others and your pics compared to theirs.

Update  I just went into the league and changed the settings,  it won't start calculating win-loss until week 2 now instead of week 1 so there is time for people to join in and not miss the scores for week one and we all start at the same time

Bob

If anyone has any problems,  drop me an email here and will help anyway I can.   forgot to mention you have to set up a yahoo email account to join in,  even though you don't need to use it,  though reminders will be sent to you there.  also need a cell number for some reason to get registered

I have a Pick "Em league set up at Yahoo Fantasy sports and all here are welcome to join if they are interested.  Posted earlier but wasn't seen obviously and I apologize for this late notice as season is about to begin.

Click Join a League.

League ID is 4587

Password  is smart

Hope this gets out to those interested in time for all to participate.   This does the tracking for us,  lets you see your standings compared to others and your pics compared to theirs.

My experience is that few people are even remotely interested in joining a football pool until just before the first game starts - including me.

It's too early.

It's too early.

It's too early.

It's too early.

It's too LATE.

If I saw your first mention of a pool it went in one eye and out the other, but I'd be delighted to sign up. I DID see some mention about a survivor pool as well - which I've never tried. I might as well get into that one as well.

Don't have to do it NOW though, I've got plenty of time left, right? :P

I've been asked if Andy was going to run one, so I am relaying the message. I know how busy Andy is, especially during this time of the season, but I had to ask, because I was asked about it from several people. If he doesn't want to, that's fine...I have no problem with that. People just want to know if there is going to be one here or not.

I too, am in Coltman51's  other pickem league.    But I would be all for joining one on here again as well.

I enjoyed it last year.

My time is also very limited; but I would be happy to help you when I can, CF4L.

And, I appreciate your willingness to get this started again as I really enjoyed playing last year. 

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea here. It may have come across as if I was being competitive or in someway denigrating last years pool. That couldn't be further from the truth.

The pool was Andy's idea and he took the ball and ran with it. It absolutely was a lot of fun, and we all are very appreciative of his considerable efforts. However by the end of the season he was visibly distracted and we were all grading our own tests. My point was simply that I know what a relentless grind the behind the scenes processing can be, and in 2013 it's completely unnecessary. I'd have been delighted to be in my friend Andy's pool again, I was just urging him to welcome 21st center technology into the process, and not feel obligated to repeat last years experience - which dollars to donuts I'm sure was CONSIDERABLY less pleasant for him than for us.

After all, the fun that you are all talking about is in the competition  - along with the teasing, bragging, moaning, and self-flagellation. That's not going to go away, just Andy's headaches.

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea here. It may have come across as if I was being competitive or in someway denigrating last years pool. That couldn't be further from the truth.

The pool was Andy's idea and he took the ball and ran with it. It absolutely was a lot of fun, and we all are very appreciative of his considerable efforts. However by the end of the season he was visibly distracted and we were all grading our own tests. My point was simply that I know what a relentless grind the behind the scenes processing can be, and in 2013 it's completely unnecessary. I'd have been delighted to be in my friend Andy's pool again, I was just urging him to welcome 21st center technology into the process, and not feel obligated to repeat last years experience - which dollars to donuts I'm sure was CONSIDERABLY less pleasant for him than for us.

After all, the fun that you are all talking about is in the competition  - along with the teasing, bragging, moaning, and self-flagellation. That's not going to go away, just Andy's headaches.

No one took it the wrong way MAC..Especially the people who know what Andy does for the Forum, and has done for years. That's why we often try to help him out as much as possible, and try to make it easier on him. It is a pain to keep the stats on the regular Forum, but however people want to play it, its fine by me..and I know a couple people helped Andy out in it towards the end...The one thing that doing it on the boards here, is if people just join up down the road, and even if they can't win the overall, they can still make their picks and see how they do weekly...

We can start a smack talk thread for fantasy leagues and maybe have shecolt or another mod pin it, so that the bragging and teasing can all be in one neat area, like last year.

But don't apologize for making a good point, or for expressing your concerns..But it is a point that many of us have discussed many times over, and we all agree Andy needs a break, though I know he loves to do it, it does get to b too much...People were asking if he was going to run one..so I asked...and we have a solution...Coltman's league in yahoo..

Thanks to Macs brilliant insight, instead of changing the start of the competition to week 2,  since a number of us had our picks in for this week.   I am changing the setting to where everyone can has the ability to drop a week or two of their worst scores and still be in the running.    I will set it at one,  if a lot of people think it should be two weeks I am sure I can still change it in the next week or so,  it is also running through the playoffs.

Now I feel compelled to think of some reward to give out to the overall winner for the season.   Good picking and lets have some fun.

Click Join a League.

League ID is 4587

Password  is smart

I've joined this competition.

Someone has to be the last...

Well Football Fans, one week done and behind us.

Congrats to Shecolt, strong start out of the gate, a few of us hot on her tail.

Gramz had a bad first week, but don't feel sorry for her, she is smart, cunning, and will sneak up on us when not expected, plus we get to drop one bad week.

BEST RESULTS AND NEWS OF ALL THIS FIRST WEEK, I beat out my good buddy TY, :number1:  :applause:  :36dancing:  :banana:  :excited:  :lol:

Sure I will pay for all those smileys.

Lot of close games and comebacks down to the wire,  Pittsburgh 1st string not showing up for game sure got a lot of us. 

Get your picks in before Thurs nights game,  at least pick for that one.

Gramz had a bad first week, but don't feel sorry for her, she is smart, cunning, and will sneak up on us when not expected, plus we get to drop one bad week.

BEST RESULTS AND NEWS OF ALL THIS FIRST WEEK, I beat out my good buddy TY, :number1:  :applause:  :36dancing:  :banana:  :excited:  :lol:

Lot of close games and comebacks down to the wire,  Pittsburgh 1st string not showing up for game sure got a lot of us. 

I moronically left the bulk of my picks until about 4 minutes to one. Unfortunately the site locks at 5 minutes to one. Missed five games entirely. : haha:

Of course I would have only gotten two of the five correct, so it was a lousy week regardless. :humble:

If I squint hard and pretend we are playing with points, it would have been an average week. :thmup:

haha, Gramz is really glad we get to drop one week....   Geez Louise,   What was I thinking with those picks...???     Congrats to Shecolt,  can I copy off of you next week...???  :lol:

Gramz was hoping for all upsets week 1 so she could lead :)

I did some reaching in my picks this week. We'll see where it takes me. A hint... I think the little brother wins :)

Why is everyone picking on poor 'ol Gramz tonight     haha

I'm going to do much better in my picks this week...    SH ~  Reaching eh...???   I'll take the :goat: this week ;)

Why is everyone picking on poor 'ol Gramz tonight     haha

I'm going to do much better in my picks this week...    SH ~  Reaching eh...???   I'll take the :goat: this week ;)

Well last week I picked the Giants to win in Dallas as they have for the last 4 times.

and that blew up in my face, so same scenario here :)

Well last week I picked the Giants to win in Dallas as they have for the last 4 times.

and that blew up in my face, so same scenario here :)

okay so now you've totally confused :nutz: me.   Not that it's much of a stretch to do so...  haha

but are you picking the Giants to win, because you think they will, or is it that if you pick them, you think they'll lose...??

okay so now you've totally confused :nutz: me.   Not that it's much of a stretch to do so...   haha

but are you picking the Giants to win, because you think they will, or is it that if you pick them, you think they'll lose...??

Not Exactly. I picked NYG because they had previously been undefeated in Cowboys stadium, and that backfired. so this may be the year of change. Eli has never beaten Peyton.

Not Exactly. I picked NYG because they had previously been undefeated in Cowboys stadium, and that backfired. so this may be the year of change. Eli has never beaten Peyton.

Okay, Got it.   That's a good pick for you to make,   I'll stick with my Guy :manning:  ;)

Hey everyone..I did make a pinned smack talk/discussion thread for both the pick'em games in the general section..Nadine was nice enough to pin it up for us..y'all can use which one you want to use..but i thought having a dedicated smack talk thread would be easier than having 2 or more others in other sections..

I'll still talk my trash on either..Like I said..its up to you...

Hey everyone..I did make a pinned smack talk/discussion thread for both the pick'em games in the general section..Nadine was nice enough to pin it up for us..y'all can use which one you want to use..but i thought having a dedicated smack talk thread would be easier than having 2 or more others in other sections..

I'll still talk my trash on either..Like I said..its up to you...

I never would have guessed that that was the intent - but I don't care, I can commit my self-flagellation anywhere.  :)  This is the only reason I've ever come to the fantasy section, and it feels a little other-worldly. Perfectly happy to leave.

You should probably have this thread unpinned.