Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peerman's Run

atapcl

After viewing Peerman's 22 yd run on NFL.com it looked like Rayford and Harvey did an excellent job shutting down the right side of the defense. Guy and Werner took bad angles and were run around. By cheating inside Werner also left himself open to a crackback block. Butler's missed tackle also did not help. To me Matthwes seems slightly ahead of Guy in the evaluation process. Werner is a good athlete but a work in the process. Looks like Rayford has actually outplayed Werner this preseason and could make the roster as the 4th OLB. Next couple of days will tell.

To me, Werner has looked like a guy who has had a LOT of information thrown at him and he's still trying to digest it all.  He was already learning the nuances between being a DE and Rush LB, and then they started putting him at SamLB the past 2 games due to Sidbury's injury.  Plus, I would be surprised if he played any ST's his last year, maybe 2, at FSU.  

I think it's good for him though.  Throw it all at him, let him digest it and once it clicks, I think we'll see the monster I think he can be. :)

After viewing Peerman's 22 yd run on NFL.com it looked like Rayford and Harvey did an excellent job shutting down the right side of the defense. Guy and Werner took bad angles and were run around. By cheating inside Werner also left himself open to a crackback block. Butler's missed tackle also did not help. To me Matthwes seems slightly ahead of Guy in the evaluation process. Werner is a good athlete but a work in the process. Looks like Rayford has actually outplayed Werner this preseason and could make the roster as the 4th OLB. Next couple of days will tell.

Rayford will never be as good all around as Werner (he doesn't change direction that well but compensates with his long wingspan) but when they both become used to the system Werner will be better. Right now Rayford's a little ahead of Werner because his good plays are difference makers. You can see already that everybody is always going to go at those super long legs of his when blocking.

To me, Werner has looked like a guy who has had a LOT of information thrown at him and he's still trying to digest it all.  He was already learning the nuances between being a DE and Rush LB, and then they started putting him at SamLB the past 2 games due to Sidbury's injury.  Plus, I would be surprised if he played any ST's his last year, maybe 2, at FSU.  

I think it's good for him though.  Throw it all at him, let him digest it and once it clicks, I think we'll see the monster I think he can be. :)

I saw an interview with Werner and he mentioned that playing special teams is one of the things that has proven difficult in the transition from college to the pros. 

Couple that with the change in position and slight change in duties and, like you said, it's a lot to take in. I don't think we can expect too much from Werner this season. Just seeing him progress and begin to settle in to his new role would be enough imo.

Rayford should be pretty much a lock.  Frankly, it seems to me that Grigson should be looking at final cuts to find a fifth OLB to make the team.  With Hickman and Sidbury on the IR, I'd like to have another OLB who knows the system.  The ILB situation is interesting: is Angerer really the starter?  Why would we trade Connor?  Did Harvey's play put Connor on the cutting block?  Can McNary come off that crazy list he's on and join the active roster soon? 

Rayford should be pretty much a lock.  Frankly, it seems to me that Grigson should be looking at final cuts to find a fifth OLB to make the team.  With Hickman and Sidbury on the IR, I'd like to have another OLB who knows the system.  The ILB situation is interesting: is Angerer really the starter?  Why would we trade Connor?  Did Harvey's play put Connor on the cutting block?  Can McNary come off that crazy list he's on and join the active roster soon? 

"The ILB situation is interesting: is Angerer really the starter?"

I think its going to be Freeman and Sheppard

"With Hickman and Sidbury on the IR, I'd like to have another OLB who knows the system."

I think Harvey could do well with the way he gets off blocks really well mixed in with his strength

"Why would we trade Connor"

Sheppard is as good as Connner or better at shedding blocks and also better at dropping back in coverage overall (more instinctive in that area)

"Can McNary come off that crazy list he's on and join the active roster soon?"

Haven't looked the answer to that one up