Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official Training Camp thread (mega merge)

ell_chrisso

@andrewmishler: John Boyett just had both of knees rewrapped on the sidelines. Huge amounts of wrap. Makes it hard to walk, it looks like.

@andrewmishler: Cassius Vaughn makes an easy INT on a Luck sideline pass and takes it in for a TD. Intended for Ballard but was too high.

Doom and gloom in 5..4..3....

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@andrewmishler: John Boyett just had both of knees rewrapped on the sidelines. Huge amounts of wrap. Makes it hard to walk, it looks like.

@andrewmishler: Cassius Vaughn makes an easy INT on a Luck sideline pass and takes it in for a TD. Intended for Ballard but was too high.

I didn't think that Boyett was even practicing.

I heard walden may start over werner.....I hope that's not true

Why we haven't ever seen Werner play at the NFL level to know he's better Walden and we don't know what Walden looks like in this defense yet?  Walden was brought in to be a run stopper not a pass rusher, and frankly he was pretty good at that in Green Bay.  That's something people have been pleading with our defense to do for years.  We have a pass rusher in Mathis.  If Werner started then you pretty much have Mathis/Freeney 2.0 which people hated so much last year because the OLB needed to do more than rush the passer. 

That's not to say Werner isn't going to play.  Pagano has said they want him to be the back up rush backer this year because they don't want to over load him as a rookie.  In other words they want to develop him and I am sure the plan is to develop him into Mathis's replacement one day.  So the fact he's not starting doesn't mean he wont make an impact and doesn't mean he doesn't have value.  I don't think this is going to be like Hughes who just wasn't good enough. 

People need to look at our defense differently now, the 3/4 doesn't lend it's self to having to major pass rushers on the field every down like Freeney and Mathis in the cover-2 4/3 defense did.  It's built to have a pass rusher at the linebacker spot and three linebackers who play more traditional linebacker roles.  Walden fits that and before everyone writes him off and just being awful why don't we wait for a game at least to see if he can do what he was brought here to do which was help sure up the run defense. 

Drake Nevis got Hassleback as well,

@andrewmishler: Drake Nevis sacks Hasselbeck on a good interior rush. Two plays later, Josh Chapman nearly swallows him for another sack.

Any idea who's playing interior Oline? I fear it's going to be our big weakness this year.

Why we haven't ever seen Werner play at the NFL level to know he's better Walden and we don't know what Walden looks like in this defense yet?  Walden was brought in to be a run stopper not a pass rusher, and frankly he was pretty good at that in Green Bay.  That's something people have been pleading with our defense to do for years.  We have a pass rusher in Mathis.  If Werner started then you pretty much have Mathis/Freeney 2.0 which people hated so much last year because the OLB needed to do more than rush the passer. 

He's useless as soon as the offense checks into a pass play. He can't rush the passer or cover. 

He's useless as soon as the offense checks into a pass play. He can't rush the passer or cover.

Walden was playing really well against the Vikings in the wildcard game, he only had one sack but he had Joe Webb wrapped up on two other occasions where Webb just threw it up for grabs, he also had a quick pressure on Webb where he flushed him out and Webb tripped over Clay Mathews(Mathews got credit for that sack)

Watching that full game on YouTube he has ability to get to the QB he just isn't consistent at it

Walden was playing really well against the Vikings in the wildcard game, he only had one sack but he had Joe Webb wrapped up on two other occasions where Webb just threw it up for grabs, he also had a quick pressure on Webb where he flushed him out and Webb tripped over Clay Mathews(Mathews got credit for that sack)

Watching that full game on YouTube he has ability to get to the QB he just isn't consistent at it

Joe Webb tho.

You wouldn't be consistent either if the players around you were terrible. Clay Matthews does it cause he's popular and doesn't wanna be bashed for having done nothing in a game. haha

Walden will do fine here. Especially if Josh Chapman keeps bowling pinning lineman

Interior line is going to be a problem. McGlynn will probably be backup center, we don't know if Holmes will ever play this year.

When I hear Holmes talked about they don't sound like they think his injury is anything that will cost him this season.  I think they expect him back before too much longer and if that's the case no reason why he wouldn't be the back up center long term.  I do think the injury has probably cost him a chance to challenge Satele for the starting spot at least going into the season however if Satele preforms below expectations again they might go to Holmes.  If you are going to be weak at center anyways you might as well go with the guy who you think can develop into your center of the future and they didn't take Holmes in the draft where they did if they didn't think he was that guy. 

I will say this in defense of Satele he pretty much played all of last year on one leg.  If he's healthy and gets a little more support from the guards he might be alright.  I think someone else pointed out last year part of the problem was that McGlynn was having to give Justice so much help on the right side of the line it put Satele in more bad spots of not only having to cover the center spot the McGlynn's guard spot as well.  That's a lot to ask of one guy. 

Joe Webb tho.

Those were the only two full packers games I could find on YouTube, the Vikings game and the 49ers game. So that's all I could go by lol. But he looked pretty comfortable out there that game, they started Desmond Moses over him though.