Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darrius Heyward-Bey will have a huge season

BlueCollarColts

If we accept that Andrw Luck is a better QB than Carson Palmer

..and that the Colts did (in 2012) and hopefully will continue to throw 25-35 times per game...

Luck averaged almost 40 attempts per game last year.  Even at 35/gm, that is 80 less.  at 560 attempt, he would have to have over 8.0 yds/attempt to get 4500.  Only 2 QB's in the 550-580 attempts range was in the 4500 neighborhood, A. Rodgers and P. Manning.  Everyone else had significantly more attempts, or yardage of around 4100 or less

/..Bey is the big owerful reciver the Colts dont have..and if they trail in games (and they will, we arent that good yet)

....Wayne and DHB should both be near 1,000 yards as was Pierre Garcon when he played with us...

Only if matchups dictate that.  I think we distribute a little more (effciency) and run more, throw less.  The total passing yardage may be a slightly smaller pie to divide up.  Could be a feared, deadly passing game, just not over the top sexy numbers, IMO.

DHB is much better after the catch than Wayne and, with Hilton and the TEs, heck get single coverage. 

If Luck throws for 5,000 yards (and I think 6-8 QBs will), DHB will have 1,000 of them

Not going to happen,  Luck would have to throw it as often or a little more than he did last year, and complete 60-70 more of those than he did last year.  If our running game fails, maybe, otherwise no. Even if our D gets nasty and gets the ball back often, at some point we go ball control and run clock by pounding the rock instead of airing it out and running up the score.  Even Pep's (supposed) Hybrid 'No Coast' offense won't call for Luck to drop back even more than Arians made him do last year.  I think it was even stated as such. I'll have to look it up.

All said, ball control WCO fundamentals with timely and creative chunk plays will be something to see, if managed correctly. I'm for what will give the team a great chance to win, not necessarily what inflated numbers players can achieve.

That's a good point and I shouldn't fall into the trap of comparing this season to last as a like for like due to the difference in playbooks. However I do think he will still get a fair few looks in 2WR sets (I can see him and DHB rotating to start with unless on establishes himself), and I'd imagine he'd be used as well in WR screens etc. I'd be interested to see if they do ever put Hilton outside and whether he can play there. My knee jerk reaction would be no due to the lack of height but you never know.

Of course until the first kick off of the season this is just pure speculation... but we need to fill the off season somehow :P

Very Tru! The first few games would be a rotation of #2 between them, I think that's until Luck establishes who he likes throwing to more when they are in. Or in DHB case, if he drops the ball too many times when he's in.

Very Tru! The first few games would be a rotation of #2 between them, I think that's until Luck establishes who he likes throwing to more when they are in. Or in DHB case, if he drops the ball too many times when he's in.

Again a good point, a slight criticism of Luck was his tendency to rely a bit too much on Reggie and try and force it to him in coverage, even when there were other options open (from memory quite often had men open in the flats that I don't think he picked up on due to the BA offense keeping his eyes down field). The early noise from OTA was Luck was building good chemistry, and he's the final decision maker when it comes to where the ball is going to be thrown so he will have a lot of influence as to which get's the most targets/reps. 

One of Grigsons FA moves is bound to pay big dividends, why shouldnt it be DHB

I don't think anyone is saying he will be a bust but a more balanced passing attack. Even in the Manning days we were used to having different receivers having big games from week to week. One week it would be Harrison then Wayne. Some weeks it would be Clark or the RBs. I think Luck will be able to take what is given by the defenses and the Colts should be a tough team to cover. 

Our offense is going to look alot like San Fran and Green Bay which means the ball is going to be spread out.....everyone can potentially have  big game on any sunday but it wont be consistent

As Colt fans we should be used to that. I might be wrong but I don't see the huge numbers for Luck this season. More ball control with more running and shorter passes. That in turn is better for our defense. The defense will hopefully get more rest and time to regroup with not being on the field as much. Arians was down the field but I think it will change with Pep and Pagano on the sidelines. We as Colts fans have been used to the offense putting up big numbers so we all might have to learn some patience.