Kenyon Whiteside

Cato June

Gilbert Gardner

Kendyll Pope

Tyjuan Hagler

Freddie Keiaho

Clint Session

Phillip Wheeler

Marcus Howard (Played both DE and LB in college)

Pat Angerer

Kavell Conner

Look at that list. How many of those guys have we gone out of our way to keep and spent decent, or good money on?

Short answer: ZERO. If Polian did open the purse for LB's as you indicate, what happened in the cases of Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington, David Thornton, Cato June, and Clint Session? All good LB's worth decent money to keep, yet none were retained.

If you measure Brackett's deal by cap percentage, he got a bigger and better deal than anyone else on that list by far.

Polian is cheap with his LB's. One instance doesn't change that.

Someone mentioned in this thread that the front office tends to value MLBs over OLBs, and this list actually goes a long way in proving that. How many of these guys played MIKE for us? Rob Morris. And he stuck around for awhile. After him, Brackett took over and has been re-signed. Angerer is still second year, but if the front office follows the general line of thinking present on this board and they see Angere as the future at MLB, I'm guessing they re-sign him as well.

So, my point is that the organization actually does value the MLB, but not the OLB. I wish they would've kept Washington, Thorton, Peterson and Session, but they didn't want to pay that money, so they keep trying to plug new guys in. They do, however, try to keep the MLB spot locked down.

Now before I say anything, I'm not saying I want him, and odds are the Colts will not pick him up, but it's always good to keep all possible players on the board. Never say never.

I've come up with some trade possibilities, but like I said we don't really need this guy, but he would be a good SAM linebacker, because right now we have a backup playing it, but playing it well. So without further ado the trade possibilities:

They would like a DE, an LB, and a CB so

Donald Brown, and a 5th round pick for Aaron Curry

Phillip Wheeler, and a 5th round pick for Aaron Curry

Antoine Bethea, Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne and Dwight Freeney for... Aaron Curry and the Seattle Seahawks :)

and on a more serious note, a 4th round pick for Aaron Curry

Like I said, he would provide great depth and could be a possible starter, but he's not a must, and I don't really think we need him. I made this thread to see what people think of him. So, thoughts?

Are you reporting in from Amsterdam? :drink:

Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington, David Thronton, Cato June, and Clint Session were all LB's that would have remained adequate starters had we retained them. Many of them, though, we didn't even make an attempt to retain.

But that's not a mistake, it's by design. It's not like the team is doing it to make a larger profit - they use the full salary cap. Their belief is that they can continuously draft to fill the LB positions (amongst others). The money is clearly being spent at the DE and skill positions instead.

The bottom line is that if they resigned Sessions, they probably couldn't have resigned Addai (for example). Considering that Donald Brown isn't getting the job done, and that the current group of LBs might be as good as we've had in many years, I would say that the plan worked pretty darn good. Granted it would have been better if Brown had produced so well that we didn't HAVE to resign Adaii, but they have to adjust as they go.

I have no explanation for the one anomaly - Brackett - other than to assume that at the time he was resigned they had utterly failed to draft a suitable replacement, and so were forced to retain him. Once again, they adjusted as they went.

I agree with you, but I'm not sure it's for the same reason.

They will pay him because of Peyton, but because we'll be changing the make up of the team for the post Peyton days.

That's my feeling anywho.

Well i would think the post peyton days are a cause of peyotn getting old.... pretty soon i think the amount of early round picks will be the same as it is on offense.

Someone mentioned in this thread that the front office tends to value MLBs over OLBs, and this list actually goes a long way in proving that. How many of these guys played MIKE for us? Rob Morris. And he stuck around for awhile. After him, Brackett took over and has been re-signed. Angerer is still second year, but if the front office follows the general line of thinking present on this board and they see Angere as the future at MLB, I'm guessing they re-sign him as well.

So, my point is that the organization actually does value the MLB, but not the OLB. I wish they would've kept Washington, Thorton, Peterson and Session, but they didn't want to pay that money, so they keep trying to plug new guys in. They do, however, try to keep the MLB spot locked down.

+1

A few thoughts on the subject:

1) Angerer will stick around. As pizza pie guy said above, the Colts value continuity at the MLB position. They spent a 2nd round pick on Angerer, which was totally unheard of with the Colts, who seem to spend late round picks on linebackers every year. He's Brackett's replacement, and he'll be here for a while.

2) We had no chance of resigning Session. Jacksonville broke the bank signing the guy. The Colts didn't stand a chance. I'm guessing that the Colts did give him an offer, btw... just nothing in Jacksonville's ballpark. I mean, why wouldn't they give him a reasonable offer? Not every offer gets coverage by the media, I guess I'm saying.

I have no explanation for the one anomaly - Brackett - other than to assume that at the time he was resigned they had utterly failed to draft a suitable replacement, and so were forced to retain him. Once again, they adjusted as they went.

They didn't pay Brackett all that much. The structure of his deal allows for a lot of flexibility moving forward.