Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Werner will be better than Kruger at 1/3 the $$$$...

It's not what I wanted, but I'm not sad about it at all!! I heard him mentioned a great deAL BEFORE THE DRAFT SO i WATCHED HIM A LOT LEADING UP TO THE DRAFT AND HE HAS POTENTIAL TO BE VERY SPECIAL...Actually didn't think he'd be there at 24...He is much more athletic and has a mean streak and motor superior to Paul Kruger . He will help us day 1, and all those who say he is a 4-3 guy and plays with his hand in the dirt like that's a bad thing don't understand football..He is versatile enough to do both and will still play with his hand down and rush the passer plenty in the 3-4...Only 5 years playing football and he is already very polished. He has 1 of the highest upsides in the draft...Now if we can find a way to trade in the 2nd and grab Lacy, Bernard, Woods, Allen, or Hunter and still keep our 3rd and draft Winters, Schwenke, B. Jones, or Frederick and we will hit a home-run with this draft.

It's not what I wanted, but I'm not sad about it at all!! I heard him mentioned a great deAL BEFORE THE DRAFT SO i WATCHED HIM A LOT LEADING UP TO THE DRAFT AND HE HAS POTENTIAL TO BE VERY SPECIAL...Actually didn't think he'd be there at 24...He is much more athletic and has a mean streak and motor superior to Paul Kruger . He will help us day 1, and all those who say he is a 4-3 guy and plays with his hand in the dirt like that's a bad thing don't understand football..He is versatile enough to do both and will still play with his hand down and rush the passer plenty in the 3-4...Only 5 years playing football and he is already very polished. He has 1 of the highest upsides in the draft...Now if we can find a way to trade in the 2nd and grab Lacy, Bernard, Woods, Allen, or Hunter and still keep our 3rd and draft Winters, Schwenke, B. Jones, or Frederick and we will hit a home-run with this draft.

I can't begin to tell you how much I LOVE when you do that. 

I don't suppose you happen to notice....    but all 32 teams passed on taking a RB in the first round.

Guess they didn't read all your endless posts about the importance of taking a RB that high.....

I can't begin to tell you how much I LOVE when you do that. 

I don't suppose you happen to notice....    but all 32 teams passed on taking a RB in the first round.

Guess they didn't read all your endless posts about the importance of taking a RB that high.....

I have no problem with it when you take Werner...Never thought he'd be their, and I believe he possesses a lot of Watt traits already which is y I liked Hunt, but this guy is 4 years younger and has just as high a ceiling...I now hope we can trade in the 2nd and get a RB or Wr or 1 somehow falls in the 3rd...So glad we didn't reach on a Guard or draft Rhodes who is the stiffest corner I've seen in a while he would have been a bust. I thought Werner was a top 10 pick, the only guy I liked better as a pass rusher would be Jordan and that's debatable..

I have no problem with it when you take Werner...Never thought he'd be their, and I believe he possesses a lot of Watt traits already which is y I liked Hunt, but this guy is 4 years younger and has just as high a ceiling...I now hope we can trade in the 2nd and get a RB or Wr or 1 somehow falls in the 3rd...So glad we didn't reach on a Guard or draft Rhodes who is the stiffest corner I've seen in a while he would have been a bust. I thought Werner was a top 10 pick, the only guy I liked better as a pass rusher would be Jordan and that's debatable..

I like Werner too...

But I think we're going to get shutout of the 2nd round....    We only have a low 3 and a low 4.     So, to get into the 2nd round, we'd need to package our 3/4 this year plus a very high pick from next year,   at least a #3 to get into the 2nd round.    And I don't want to do that.

I think it could be a long evening for the Colts today.

I like Werner too...

But I think we're going to get shutout of the 2nd round....    We only have a low 3 and a low 4.     So, to get into the 2nd round, we'd need to package our 3/4 this year plus a very high pick from next year,   at least a #3 to get into the 2nd round.    And I don't want to do that.

I think it could be a long evening for the Colts today.

Their is a lot of value in this years 2nd, and I don't think we are as far away as some..If we can get a Bernard or Lacy in the 2nd and a quality guard in the 3rd we can compete this year for a Super Bowl and years to come...I'd give up a late 1st next year for a high 2nd this year...Or a 2nd next year and a 4 this year..If we take Warford in 2nd and still get Bernard, Frederick, or Michael in 3rd that would also be a home run...Teams like the 49ers don't have many roster spots for all these picks and may trade a 2nd this year to us for future picks..

Their is a lot of value in this years 2nd, and I don't think we are as far away as some..If we can get a Bernard or Lacy in the 2nd and a quality guard in the 3rd we can compete this year for a Super Bowl and years to come...I'd give up a late 1st next year for a high 2nd this year...Or a 2nd next year and a 4 this year..If we take Warford in 2nd and still get Bernard, Frederick, or Michael in 3rd that would also be a home run...Teams like the 49ers don't have many roster spots for all these picks and may trade a 2nd this year to us for future picks..

When everyone and their mother is trying to trade OUT of the first round yesterday....    when Dallas says there were only 16 players with first round grades....

I don't think a future one is worth a high two this year.    The value of this draft -- as noted yesterday by Grigson -- is in round 3 thru 5.       There are a lot of #2's....   but there are no more #1's to be had.

I'm not trading a future 1 next year for a #2 this year.

That's a fan's trade.    Not a GM's trade.

Rhodes is one of the stiffest corners??? Look man I'm a huge FSU fan...just as bifgo f a fan of them as I am for the Colts....With that being said, I believe Werner is a 1st rd candidate. Just had a bad combine that's all. This guy produces, but he is a 4-3 de not a 3-4 olb. Last time I checked we were running a 3-4 hybrid D. He doesn't fit the scheme right now. I believe in coach Pagano and I believe that Werner freakish athletic ability on field combined with him being new to the game can help him become the player that we will want him to be. Is Rhodes a little stiff yes but he is also a big corner who can play cover press, and Pagano could teach him alot. Pagano was DB coach for many years. It also would give us better depth at CB because we could've started Davis and Rhodes and saw more of an immediate impact. I don't know much about our FA pickup Toler but I do know he has an injury history and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with him starting, I however read some good things about him. I just realize how much Rhodes would've have helped. Oh well we got Werner and I'm happy with him. I just would've been more happy if we had him in out Cover 2 4-3 we used to run, but like I said I believe in the coaching staff. 

As far as trading up...we should package something up and get another 3rd rd cause this is a meat and potatoes draft that is really deep. Also being from Alabama I watch a lot of Bama games and I do not want Lacy... He is a good rb but Ballard is just as good as Lacy. Lacy is pretty good product of Saban and the behemoths he has up front. If you are expecting Ingram or Richardson...think again. Let Brown play out the final year of his contract and we can search for backs in next years draft. Also we can pick up a FA back for depth this year on a 1 year deal.

Rhodes is one of the stiffest corners??? Look man I'm a huge FSU fan...just as bifgo f a fan of them as I am for the Colts....With that being said, I believe Werner is a 1st rd candidate. Just had a bad combine that's all. This guy produces, but he is a 4-3 de not a 3-4 olb. Last time I checked we were running a 3-4 hybrid D. He doesn't fit the scheme right now. I believe in coach Pagano and I believe that Werner freakish athletic ability on field combined with him being new to the game can help him become the player that we will want him to be. Is Rhodes a little stiff yes but he is also a big corner who can play cover press, and Pagano could teach him alot. Pagano was DB coach for many years. It also would give us better depth at CB because we could've started Davis and Rhodes and saw more of an immediate impact. I don't know much about our FA pickup Toler but I do know he has an injury history and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with him starting, I however read some good things about him. I just realize how much Rhodes would've have helped. Oh well we got Werner and I'm happy with him. I just would've been more happy if we had him in out Cover 2 4-3 we used to run, but like I said I believe in the coaching staff. 

As far as trading up...we should package something up and get another 3rd rd cause this is a meat and potatoes draft that is really deep. Also being from Alabama I watch a lot of Bama games and I do not want Lacy... He is a good rb but Ballard is just as good as Lacy. Lacy is pretty good product of Saban and the behemoths he has up front. If you are expecting Ingram or Richardson...think again. Let Brown play out the final year of his contract and we can search for backs in next years draft. Also we can pick up a FA back for depth this year on a 1 year deal.

I would rather have Bernard or Michael than Lacy...The only reason I say Lacy is I think the culture here could get the best out of him...We need another back period! Ballard is all we got I can't wait to get rid of Brown..Even Gruden said we need a feature back which I have been adament about...I pray the draft gods somehow have Bernard fall to us in the 3rd, it happened with Werner so maybe it will happen again. Rhodes is stiff, and can only play press and would get torched by quick receivers...I think he could be a good Safety, and will probably end up as a safety.

I would rather have Bernard or Michael than Lacy...The only reason I say Lacy is I think the culture here could get the best out of him...We need another back period! Ballard is all we got I can't wait to get rid of Brown..Even Gruden said we need a feature back which I have been adament about...I pray the draft gods somehow have Bernard fall to us in the 3rd, it happened with Werner so maybe it will happen again. Rhodes is stiff, and can only play press and would get torched by quick receivers...I think he could be a good Safety, and will probably end up as a safety.

Gruden lost every bit of respect I may have had for him last night when he said Tyrann Matheiu was the best CB in the draft and somebody should pull the trigger on him in the 1st rd.. He sounded like a complete baffoon for saying something so incredibly stupid and *ic. 

Gruden lost every bit of respect I may have had for him last night when he said Tyrann Matheiu was the best CB in the draft and somebody should pull the trigger on him in the 1st rd.. He sounded like a complete baffoon for saying something so incredibly stupid and *ic. 

On ability he is right....Matheiu is extremely risky, but if he is able to play he will be great...The good thing is his problem is Marijuana and a lot of players in the NFL smoke it rather you wanna believe it or not..He will be tested so much because of his reputation though that I don't think he will stand a chance unless he ends up on a team like the Pats or 49ers with a Harbaugh or Belichik to keep him focused...I personally wouldn't risk drafting him and I wouldn't have taken anybody other than Cooper or Jordan over Werner either...Gruden is right when he said we need a feature back though and I still have hope we find 1 this year. We made out like bandits getting him at 24. He is much closer to Watt than anybody thinks, and is far superior to Kruger in every way.

On ability he is right....Matheiu is extremely risky, but if he is able to play he will be great...The good thing is his problem is Marijuana and a lot of players in the NFL smoke it rather you wanna believe it or not..He will be tested so much because of his reputation though that I don't think he will stand a chance unless he ends up on a team like the Pats or 49ers with a Harbaugh or Belichik to keep him focused...I personally wouldn't risk drafting him and I wouldn't have taken anybody other than Cooper or Jordan over Werner either...Gruden is right when he said we need a feature back though and I still have hope we find 1 this year. We made out like bandits getting him at 24. He is much closer to Watt than anybody thinks, and is far superior to Kruger in every way.

Mathieu is a nickle corner at best in the NFL. He will never be anymore than that. Play him on the outside and he gets destroyed on every play. As for Werner, I'm trying my best to warm up to him, but I have serious doubts and I never like the idea of picking a 1st rder. and trying to teach him a new position. That is something that should be done with later picks, not 1st rders.. I hope he proves me wrong and excels at OLBer, but I'll have to see it first.

Mathieu is a nickle corner at best in the NFL. He will never be anymore than that. Play him on the outside and he gets destroyed on every play. As for Werner, I'm trying my best to warm up to him, but I have serious doubts and I never like the idea of picking a 1st rder. and trying to teach him a new position. That is something that should be done with later picks, not 1st rders.. I hope he proves me wrong and excels at OLBer, but I'll have to see it first.

I'll trust Gruden's insights allll day long...I'd fire Pagano tomorrow if Gruden wanted to be our coach...lmao

I'll trust Gruden's insights allll day long...I'd fire Pagano tomorrow if Gruden wanted to be our coach... lmao

All I can say is.........WOW!!! I really did use to like Gruden, but over the last few yrs., it's become abundantly clear why teams aren't lining up to hire him IMO. Thats the reason why he puts it out there every yr. that he has no interest in coaching, because he knows teams have no interest in hiring him. Therefore it looks like his decision.