Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DHB will have a breakout year

BronxColtNYC

The thing I like about DHB is that (from everything I've read) he's got an amazing work ethic. To have progressed as much as he has without a proven veteran to show him the ropes or a capable QB shows what he's capable of by himself. Just imagine what he can do with Reggie as a mentor and Luck throwing him the ball.

I'm VERY excited to see what he can do for us, and I really hope he makes us want to re-sign him.

Between Darrius Heyward-Bey, Reggie Wayne, and T.Y. Hilton plus Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener, idk why we would target another pass catcher in the 1st round when we could go OL or pass rusher

Because there may not be an offensive lineman or a pass rusher that the teams believes either fits their system, or is worthy of the 24th pick.

So,  if you go by Best Player Available....  a wide receiver maybe the direction the team turns.    There maybe other options,  but BPA can take you to any...

Because there may not be an offensive lineman or a pass rusher that the teams believes either fits their system, or is worthy of the 24th pick.

So,  if you go by Best Player Available....  a wide receiver maybe the direction the team turns.    There maybe other options,  but BPA can take you to any...

Possession receiver.

Between Darrius Heyward-Bey, Reggie Wayne, and T.Y. Hilton plus Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener, idk why we would target another pass catcher in the 1st round when we could go OL or pass rusher

For the future. He wouldn't have to step in and be a huge factor right away. 

But in all honesty, we likely will not re-sign Reggie past his current deal unless he's putting up a K in yards and around 10 TD's a year. And even if that happens, we might let him go in favor of a younger talent who has been groomed to step into a spot of need. 

Keeping around older WR's and putting them in high production spots just isn't a popular thing to do in the NFL anymore. 

I agree with the sentiment that DHB has found a home. I think he's going to silence a lot of critics, and prove he's worth keeping this year, and we will do that. I also expect Hilton to improve as well. I think Hilton and Heyward-Bey may be our answers at WR longer term. Once Reggie's deal is up after next season he's gonna be what? 36? 37? If we draft a good WR in the first this year, once Reggie's deal is up we're gong to be in a good, although difficult spot. One one hand, we could be letting one of our best WR's of all time go, but we'd have a talent already on the team integrated in the system who can meet our needs.

And then you have to consider TY's rookie deal. If he becomes a top 20 WR, will we be able to keep him? Last year's draft class was awesome. Which means when it's time to sign them to legitimate deals, we're going to have to walk a fine line to avoid choking our future cap. 

So in the event that we keep Luck, Allen, and Fleener past their rookie deals, drafting a WR this season could allow us to let Hilton walk when his deal is up, and have a guy ready to step up. 

We're in a position where we can use this draft for insurance down the road. I mean, in all honesty, if we never get one starter out of this draft, I don't think it would set us back any at all. Yeah, it would suck, but it's not going to hurt us down the road. 

That's the best way I can sum this draft up for us: an insurance draft. 

I imagine Grigson has already looked ahead and seen that we could potentially get in a WR pinch down the road. Drafting a WR with our 1st is merely insurance against that.

He's far from being a 'bust' and he  wont see the otehr teams top DB with Reggie Wayne on the otehr side and TY Hilton in the slot..

Unless we suffer injuries or lose our minds and adopt a 1970s run-first mentality, odds favor for three 1,000-yard Colt receivers in 2013

Also, there was a big report that Hopkins and Mark Harrison (WR, Rutgers), trashed their hotel room after the combine -- wondering if that will hurt Hopkins' status at all http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9187853/deandre-hopkins-mark-harrison-occupied-trashed-hotel-rooms-combine-sources-say

Sounds like some GM's don't care and others will question his character a big (see Ed Werder video on that link -- one GM says 'if you come to the combine and act like a jerk, we have to conclude that you probably are a jerk').

• 2 weeks later...

This is all that needs to be said about his career so far:

"Heyward-Bey joined the Colts after four years in Oakland, noting the turbulent time he endured there included three coaches, four offensive coordinators and six starting quarterbacks.