Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After all the talk of Larry Warford yesterday, I conclude he is good but not 1st rd good...

I like his size and mean streak, but he gets beat off the ball a lot, if he gets his hands on you he is impressive, but he gets beat of the bowl and misses run blocks in space...I wanted to be open minded about him so I studied him more and he'd be great in the mid 2nd if we trade back or trade in, but not in the first. Warmack and Cooper are the only guards worthy of a 1st round pick in my opinion and he will be gone before 24...If Cooper falls I absolutely love him, GREAT, GREAT pass blocker, great in space, rare athlete for his size...

Is this supposed to change anybodies minds? I trust the experts at NFL.com and my own eyes. I know some do not agree and thats fine, I do not care because IMO if he's available at 24 and the other 2 more popular guards are off the board, he will be a consideration. Not saying that we'll pick him, but I will guarantee he'll be considered. Grigson don't care that some fans that read some goofy mock drafts don't think he's worth a 1st rder..

I like his size and mean streak, but he gets beat off the ball a lot, if he gets his hands on you he is impressive, but he gets beat of the bowl and misses run blocks in space...I wanted to be open minded about him so I studied him more and he'd be great in the mid 2nd if we trade back or trade in, but not in the first. Warmack and Cooper are the only guards worthy of a 1st round pick in my opinion and he will be gone before 24...If Cooper falls I absolutely love him, GREAT, GREAT pass blocker, great in space, rare athlete for his size...

you must be a amazing talent evaluator.. what team do you work for?

Don`t think he is considered to be 1st rd talent.

You must open your mind to what he will be in 2-3 years rather than coming in for game one as a Rookie.

It might take him half a season or more to win the job outright.

He should/needs to improve in all facets, like anyone esle. Right?

I can picture 3rd and two,  sweep right, W Saunders at R TE, Allen at L TE in motion, DHB wide right, Havili leading Ballard, and a massive blocking scrum that we WIN!

or something like that!!  Flip it left, Castonzo is a VG run blocker. IMO!

Yes, I believe Warford could be coached up and ready to contribute in a meaningful way for the stretch drive in year one. JMO. :thmup:

Good with it, and he very well could be available back at pick 38.

Is this supposed to change anybodies minds? I trust the experts at NFL.com and my own eyes. I know some do not agree and thats fine, I do not care because IMO if he's available at 24 and the other 2 more popular guards are off the board, he will be a consideration. Not saying that we'll pick him, but I will guarantee he'll be considered. Grigson don't care that some fans that read some goofy mock drafts don't think he's worth a 1st rder..

Look at the film of him and look at the film of Cooper....Cooper is an amazing pass blocker, and good run-blocker...Warford is better in the short yardage power game , but wouldn't fit well with the West Coast offense, as they need more athletic guard that can pull....Warford looks lost at times and has trouble finding defenders in space, I'm not making this up you can see for yourself...

Look at the film of him and look at the film of Cooper....Cooper is an amazing pass blocker, and good run-blocker...Warford is better in the short yardage power game , but wouldn't fit well with the West Coast offense, as they need more athletic guard that can pull....Warford looks lost at times and has trouble finding defenders in space, I'm not making this up you can see for yourself...

I have watched him on tape as well as Cooper. Both are very good and for Warford's size his quickness and footwork are pretty darn good. Warford has also got himself down 20 lbs from his last playing weight which should do nothing but help in his quickness. IMO he is the perfect fit for what Pep, Pagano, and Grigson have already said they are looking for which is a big strong o-lineman that is able to over power his defender. When Warford latches on to his defender, they aren't getting around him and his run blocking skills are 2nd to none in this draft. I would be happy with any of the top 3 guards in this draft but if the other 2 are gone when we pick, it won't surprise me at all if Warford would be our pick.

Don`t think he is considered to be 1st rd talent.

You must open your mind to what he will be in 2-3 years rather than coming in for game one as a Rookie.

It might take him half a season or more to win the job outright.

He should/needs to improve in all facets, like anyone esle. Right?

I can picture 3rd and two,  sweep right, W Saunders at R TE, Allen at L TE in motion, DHB wide right, Havili leading Ballard, and a massive blocking scrum that we WIN!

or something like that!!  Flip it left, Castonzo is a VG run blocker. IMO!

Yes, I believe Warford could be coached up and ready to contribute in a meaningful way for the stretch drive in year one. JMO. :thmup:

Good with it, and he very well could be available back at pick 38.

If we trade back yes...I like him just not reaching at 24 their will be impact OLbs at 24, but not in the second...After watching a lot of Cooper I wouldn't be against trading UP for him. He will keep Luck upright and start immediately and possibly be the best O-Lineman on the team day 1...I encourage you to watch more of Cooper his pass-blocking is incredible and agility and speed for his size is rare and he would be GREAT pulling on sweeps...I like warford for the power run game they and wouldn't be sad if we took him if we trade back.

I have watched him on tape as well as Cooper. Both are very good and for Warford's size his quickness and footwork are pretty darn good. Warford has also got himself down 20 lbs from his last playing weight which should do nothing but help in his quickness. IMO he is the perfect fit for what Pep, Pagano, and Grigson have already said they are looking for which is a big strong o-lineman that is able to over power his defender. When Warford latches on to his defender, they aren't getting around him and his run blocking skills are 2nd to none in this draft. I would be happy with any of the top 3 guards in this draft but if the other 2 are gone when we pick, it won't surprise me at all if Warford would be our pick.

He just doesn't look as polished and lacks quickness, maybe the weight loss will help, I still say he's a reach at 24 though...If we trade back and pick up a 5th I'm all for it. I do think he'll be great in the run game....If the concern is giving Luck more time Cooper would be the best pass-blocker we have day 1 and would start day 1.

What I'll say here is what I just said about Jesse Williams in another thread.

I don't think Warford is a 1st round talent.   And I'm a big Warford guy.    I think he's the RG that our team badly needs.

But if we trade back, I'd be very happy to get him in the 2nd round.    That would work for me very well.

But 1st round?    No.

If we trade back yes...I like him just not reaching at 24 their will be impact OLbs at 24, but not in the second...After watching a lot of Cooper I wouldn't be against trading UP for him. He will keep Luck upright and start immediately and possibly be the best O-Lineman on the team day 1...I encourage you to watch more of Cooper his pass-blocking is incredible and agility and speed for his size is rare and he would be GREAT pulling on sweeps...I like warford for the power run game they and wouldn't be sad if we took him if we trade back.

I see lots of RISK with the 3-4 OLB`ers that will be available past pick 20 or so. Again, the competition for Warford likely begins a number of picks into the 2nd rd.

Of course Cooper looks Great, but I don`t see Griggs going up 3 spots(4th rounder) to get him, that and I don`t see him being there. JMO.

If he did/could, Yippee!

Heard it mentioned Cooper could be a Center. Can you imagine moving him to Center in a year and adding a tough RG.

He could become All-Pro and be part of a REAL Monster line. Things to ponder. :td:

I see lots of RISK with the 3-4 OLB`ers that will be available past pick 20 or so. Again, the competition for Warford likely begins a number of picks into the 2nd rd.

Of course Cooper looks Great, but I don`t see Griggs going up 3 spots(4th rounder) to get him, that and I don`t see him being there. JMO.

If he did/could, Yippee!

Heard it mentioned Cooper could be a Center. Can you imagine moving him to Center in a year and adding a tough RG.

He could become All-Pro and be part of a REAL Monster line. Things to ponder. :td:

Too bad we couldn't get Cooper in the first, and trade into mid second for Warford, that would be the best line in the NFL for years to come...Like the idea of him playing center he has the athleticism to play center for sure..

I would Not be against using Next years 1st or 2nd to get the picks to FIX our Future at the Center & Guard positions.

Was thinking Warford & Frederick.

With a decent additional pick or two.

Lots of Draft Wishes. Really like Rhodes.
Toler and Davis won`t be healthy every play for 32 games. And I bet they would work him in practice some at FS.
An injury with Bethea or Landry, and I do feel decent about Lefeged, but Rhodes has GOOD ball skills and tackles (at CB) well.
I`d be very interested to see him contribute some at FS if needed.

A DBfield of Toler, Davis, Landry and Rhodes in 2014. I Like the thought of it. :helmet:

Warford is a one dimensional RG whose lack of athleticism limits his versatility. But what he does give you is a road grader at RG that you can play for years and can start immediately. 

In my mind, he's the perfect example of a high-floor prospect- there's little chance he'll bust, but there are other guards with higher ceilings and more positional versatility out there. That's why I'd be happy with Warford at the right price, but a first round is far too rich for that. Especially this year, which is a solid class for guards. 

A few other quality prospects to keep in mind that have flown under the radar somewhat are Brian Winters, Brian Schwenke, and David Quessenberry. I also am a fan of Cooper and Warmack, but don't expect either to be there at 24. 

I think he is the third best guard in the draft prolly not quite good enough for the first round but really really good I can't say I would be upset if we got him no matter what round we drafted him . As far as cooper and warmack I think by draft day Cooper will be the first guard taken because his name is hot right now but if u ask me warmack is the best all around guard and a lock to be great for the next 10 years IMO

He just doesn't look as polished and lacks quickness, maybe the weight loss will help, I still say he's a reach at 24 though...If we trade back and pick up a 5th I'm all for it. I do think he'll be great in the run game....If the concern is giving Luck more time Cooper would be the best pass-blocker we have day 1 and would start day 1.

You seem to be misunderstanding, A Good run game will automatically take pressure off of Luck and give him more time. With the upgrades we have done, the line is 3 times better then what he was and Luck has a year under his belt, and moving to a move QB friendly offense, the WCO. If grig thats Warford and plug in play the G, and if us a better running attack it will help the offense all round, including the passing game and time. Play Action baby!  

You seem to be misunderstanding, A Good run game will automatically take pressure off of Luck and give him more time. With the upgrades we have done, the line is 3 times better then what he was and Luck has a year under his belt, and moving to a move QB friendly offense, the WCO. If grig thats Warford and plug in play the G, and if us a better running attack it will help the offense all round, including the passing game and time. Play Action baby!  

I agree. I think many here do not want to realize the difference in zone blocking schemes and man blocking schemes. Everybody here wants that quick, fleet of foot, athletic guard and that's not what a man blocking lineman is. It's nice if a man blocking guard is really athletic like Cooper, but most just aren't that athletic. Warford is quicker than most here want to give him credit for. He's a good pass blocker, but a great run blocker. He is the prototypical RG and that is where he would be playing if we took him. IMO, I think most just prefer Cooper because he has been hyped up as the 2nd best guard in the draft although, there isn't a huge talent gap between him and Warford or Warmack for that matter. People think Warford is a reach at 24 even though he's graded higher than Cooper on NFL.com. Warford IMO would be the perfect pick for us at 24 and I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger for a second at 24.

I would Not be against using Next years 1st or 2nd to get the picks to FIX our Future at the Center & Guard positions.

Was thinking Warford & Frederick.

With a decent additional pick or two.

Lots of Draft Wishes. Really like Rhodes.

Toler and Davis won`t be healthy every play for 32 games. And I bet they would work him in practice some at FS.

An injury with Bethea or Landry, and I do feel decent about Lefeged, but Rhodes has GOOD ball skills and tackles (at CB) well.

I`d be very interested to see him contribute some at FS if needed.

A DBfield of Toler, Davis, Landry and Rhodes in 2014. I Like the thought of it. :helmet:

Agreeed so many directions to go with that 24th.  To think that our back 4 (Davis/Toler/Landry & Bethea) wont get hurt at some point during the season is just plain fantasy land.. we need X. Rhodes for that reason alone, not to mention Davis is a free agent next year I think do everyting we can to keep him but you never know...But I also like the arguement for Warford. our line IS better but its still not complete. unless Ijalana gets and stays healthy our RG or LG depending on where we play Donald thomas is where teams will attack like cassius vaughn, I think Warford closes that door firmly.  Also I like the thinking behind Bjoern Werner. He's the PASS RUSH equiviant of RJF whereas can play  both 5 techniques but instead of also being able of playing nose like RJF,  Werner can play either 3-4 OLB I mean how valuable is that!? Also Redding getting up there in age.... decisions decisions

I agree. I think many here do not want to realize the difference in zone blocking schemes and man blocking schemes. Everybody here wants that quick, fleet of foot, athletic guard and that's not what a man blocking lineman is. It's nice if a man blocking guard is really athletic like Cooper, but most just aren't that athletic. Warford is quicker than most here want to give him credit for. He's a good pass blocker, but a great run blocker. He is the prototypical RG and that is where he would be playing if we took him. IMO, I think most just prefer Cooper because he has been hyped up as the 2nd best guard in the draft although, there isn't a huge talent gap between him and Warford or Warmack for that matter. People think Warford is a reach at 24 even though he's graded higher than Cooper on NFL.com. Warford IMO would be the perfect pick for us at 24 and I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger for a second at 24.

If yes on Warford at 24, then I have to rethink Fluker as a RG. I wasn`t impressed with his footwork and mobility as a RT. But that will improve.

But as a Monster road grader at RG. Would he be a Wow? With the ability to beat out Link as a backup RT if needed. :D 

And No reason Ijalana can`t return to good health. Fluker would allow Ij to come back a little slower.

Ijalana when healthy IMO, would be a super backup at G, RT, and I thought he showed ability to play some LT.

At 100%, I would feel a lot better picturing Ij at LT rather than Mr. Link. 

A powerful running game = turning Andrew loose in Play Action = the Holy Grail of stretching the defense and our passing game delivering on all 3 levels.

The thought of hammering our opponents for 130-140 yards a game Rushing  =   :rock:  :dancing: