Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock Draft (post DHB signing)

Trade our 1st, Kavell Conner and Delone Carter ( both played under BA so he could be the equivalent to the players we brought in who knew the system like we had, also Conner seems a bit out of place in the new 3-4 and was just gonna play behind Freeman and Angerer whilst Carter was just gonna be sat on the )to the cardinals for a 2,3 and 5 ( very possible according to the trade charts as both teams get a good value out of it)

2: Larry Warford- likely BPA at Position of need plus, let's face it, he's a beast

3: Tyrann Mathieu - Despite his off the field issues and the fact he doesn't lift much, someone said he is a better football player than athlete so for those who say he is too small to be good, watch his tape and see his agressiveness when he plays. A very talented returner

3: Le'veon Bell- A very tough,physical RB who will look to be a good RB in our system and he is always looking to fight for the extra yards

4: Duke Williams- Would definitely be a good backup to Landry if he gets injured and something tells me he could make a huge impact on ST as a gunner

5: Kevin Reddick- if we trade away Conner, then Reddick would be a good replacement. quite explosive off the line of scrimmage and looks like an effective blitzer.

6: Quanterius Smith- Very underrated player who looks like he could be a steal at this point in the draft ( he even caused problems against the Alabama O-line)

7: Braxston Cave - some people complain about Satele, so maybe we need to bring in depth at center to compete with him and Shipley

7: Abry Jones- would be good for depth on the d-line

I doubt Smith  sniffs the 6th injury or not, Dont want Mathieu and certainly not that high, if we draft a Safety in the 3rd then I'd be all over Phillip Thomas, Using your scenario however:

1.Trade Down

2.Larry Warford

3.Montee Ball

3.Phillip Thomas

4.Why were drafting to 2 Safeties to me is baffling but hey you want what ya want, and Duke Williams it is 

5.A.J. Klein

6.Smith wont sniff the 6th let alone the bottom of it so Joe Vellano 

7.Braxton Cave

7.David King

I doubt Smith  sniffs the 6th injury or not, Dont want Mathieu and certainly not that high, if we draft a Safety in the 3rd then I'd be all over Phillip Thomas, Using your scenario however:

1.Trade Down

2.Larry Warford

3.Montee Ball

3.Phillip Thomas

4.Why were drafting to 2 Safeties to me is baffling but hey you want what ya want, and Duke Williams it is 

5<-------- Dont have one

6.Smith wont sniff the 6th let alone the bottom of it so Joe Vellano 

7.Braxton Cave

7.David King

in the words of PrincetonTiger " interesting."  However the reason I chose Williams and Mathieu ( who you'll assume to play safety) is 1 so we have very capable back ups if Bethea and/or Landry go down ( I would rather have 1 of these 2 being back up than have Sergio Brown- lets not forget the game against the Jags when there was that blown coverage.) 2 they look to have the same type of playing style to what we want ( that is physical and aggressive). 3. they definitely add a value onto our ST unit with both being able to play gunner and Mathieu in particular for returner.

in the words of PrincetonTiger " interesting."  However the reason I chose Williams and Mathieu ( who you'll assume to play safety) is 1 so we have very capable back ups if Bethea and/or Landry go down ( I would rather have 1 of these 2 being back up than have Sergio Brown- lets not forget the game against the Jags when there was that blown coverage.) 2 they look to have the same type of playing style to what we want ( that is physical and aggressive). 3. they definitely add a value onto our ST unit with both being able to play gunner and Mathieu in particular for returner.

I see your reasoning definitly but I think we can get Brandan Bishop as an undrafted FS (who for my money is as good as Mathieu but may not be as athletic who plays at NC State where he wont get nearly as much recognition as Mathieu at LSU). For the record Im not against drafting Mathieu but I would not spend anything more then a 6th on him and he wont sniff that more then likely, another Safety I'd draft before Mathieu is Baccari Rambo at the bottom of the 4th or Robert Lester (Thats 3 other Safeties I'd look at before Mathieu....It has very little to do with off field issues, I honestly think he is past those now but he is certainly not past his height 5'9" 186lbs with below average coverage skills, yes I know he can hit)

Brandan Bishop in the above link

Trade our 1st, Kavell Conner and Delone Carter ( both played under BA so he could be the equivalent to the players we brought in who knew the system like we had, also Conner seems a bit out of place in the new 3-4 and was just gonna play behind Freeman and Angerer whilst Carter was just gonna be sat on the )to the cardinals for a 2,3 and 5 ( very possible according to the trade charts as both teams get a good value out of it)

2: Larry Warford- likely BPA at Position of need plus, let's face it, he's a beast

3: Tyrann Mathieu - Despite his off the field issues and the fact he doesn't lift much, someone said he is a better football player than athlete so for those who say he is too small to be good, watch his tape and see his agressiveness when he plays. A very talented returner

3: Le'veon Bell- A very tough,physical RB who will look to be a good RB in our system and he is always looking to fight for the extra yards

4: Duke Williams- Would definitely be a good backup to Landry if he gets injured and something tells me he could make a huge impact on ST as a gunner

5: Kevin Reddick- if we trade away Conner, then Reddick would be a good replacement. quite explosive off the line of scrimmage and looks like an effective blitzer.

6: Quanterius Smith- Very underrated player who looks like he could be a steal at this point in the draft ( he even caused problems against the Alabama O-line)

7: Braxston Cave - some people complain about Satele, so maybe we need to bring in depth at center to compete with him and Shipley

7: Abry Jones- would be good for depth on the d-line

I don't think that trade seems very likely in all honesty.

Love the Mathieu pick though. And i wouldn't mind Warford.

Didn't we trade our pick away to move up in another draft?

No.  I believe you are thinking of the year we traded a future first to take Tony Ugoh in the second.  In the next draft, we did not have a first.  That was the year we took three centers (Pollack in the second).

I don't think it matters at all what we've done in the past with a different regime. We only have 1 yr. to go off of with Grigson, so we don't really know what Grigson will do in the draft. There isn't a history to go by and what we done with Polian is completely irrelevant. 

So because Conner doesn't work in a 3-4 we trade him to a 3-4 team?

I was thinking Buffalo 2nd round pick(41) or 3rd round pick(71). They need an ILB, But I dont recall if they are a 4-3 or 3-4 with the changes they made in the offseason

Grigson already stated that he doesn't like taking offensive linemen high, you can get them in later rounds.  Our 1st pick will be a defensive player Jarvis Jones,Trufant,and Werner are all great possibilities.

Grigson said no such thing. He was asked if would rather start a rookie CB or a rookie O-lineman, he answered that his preference would be to start a rookie CB, because sometimes it takes longer for rookie o-lineman to get used to the speed of the game. Grigson's statement has been misconstrued in a million different ways since he said it and almost everyone of them have been 100% wrong. Grigson has never said he wouldn't draft an O-lineman early in the draft and as a former lineman himself, that would be quite a stupid statement to make.

Grigson said no such thing. He was asked if would rather start a rookie CB or a rookie O-lineman, he answered that his preference would be to start a rookie CB, because sometimes it takes longer for rookie o-lineman to get used to the speed of the game. Grigson's statement has been misconstrued in a million different ways since he said it and almost everyone of them have been 100% wrong. Grigson has never said he wouldn't draft an O-lineman early in the draft and as a former lineman himself, that would be quite a stupid statement to make.

Yeah that was my point he's not gonna take a guard over Trufant or Rhodes.

Yeah that was my point he's not gonna take a guard over Trufant or Rhodes.

We don't need a CB now though. Guard is the much bigger need and I certainly wouldn't expect him to pass on one of the guards if they are available. 

you mean he would not take Cooper over Trufant? Thats plain GM suicide if a team was as desperate for a good Guard as we should be

I agree and to be honest I would take Warford over Trufant and not even hesitate. Something about Trufant I just don't care for. I don't know what it is, but I would be disappointed if we took him.

We don't need a CB now though. Guard is the much bigger need and I certainly wouldn't expect him to pass on one of the guards if they are available. 

You can never have enough CB's this is a passing league with 4 and 5 WR sets. I agree guard is a need but we can get a really good one like Winters in the 4th. We need guys that can force turnovers and give Luck more chances to score. I know Warmack and Cooper are great guards but i would rather have Rhodes or Trufant.

You can never have enough CB's this is a passing league with 4 and 5 WR sets. I agree guard is a need but we can get a really good one like Winters in the 4th. We need guys that can force turnovers and give Luck more chances to score. I know Warmack and Cooper are great guards but i would rather have Rhodes or Trufant.

As I said in the post above, I'm not sold on Trufant, I'm not totally against Rhodes but if we passed on one of the top guards to get him, I would be disappointed.

you mean he would not take Cooper over Trufant? Thats plain GM suicide if a team was as desperate for a good Guard as we should be

Yes Rhodes and Trufant there's a reason guards fall every year you can get good ones in later rounds. Decastro was considered one of the best guards to come out and he fell to 24 it's just not a great position of need as a CB.

I see your reasoning definitly but I think we can get Brandan Bishop as an undrafted FS (who for my money is as good as Mathieu but may not be as athletic who plays at NC State where he wont get nearly as much recognition as Mathieu at LSU). For the record Im not against drafting Mathieu but I would not spend anything more then a 6th on him and he wont sniff that more then likely, another Safety I'd draft before Mathieu is Baccari Rambo at the bottom of the 4th or Robert Lester (Thats 3 other Safeties I'd look at before Mathieu....It has very little to do with off field issues, I honestly think he is past those now but he is certainly not past his height 5'9" 186lbs with below average coverage skills, yes I know he can hit)

Brandan Bishop in the above link

Mathieu is not a safety.    Way too small.

And while his coverage skills are not great,   they can be improved by good coaching....   he's already gotten some because he looked very good at the combine,  so clearly the kid has been working with a coach.

He's a corner....   a slot corner, a nickel corner to be sure....    but he's a corner....     I'd like him in the 3rd,  but I'd love him in the 4th....

That said,  there's so much buzz about him that I have little idea where he'll go?    Wouldn't be surprised if someone jumps the field and uses a #2 on him....    wouldn't be surprised if we look up in the 5th and he's still there....   neither would surprise me....

Is everyone against Ray Ray Armstrong at safety in the later rounds??? He has character issues but his physicality and upside are undeniable, and he was 2nd team All-Acc in 2010 before all the trouble...Any thoughts on him in 6th or possibly taking a risk in the 4th??? I think he has potential to be converted into a hybrid safety/linebacker if he adds weight as well. At 6-4 he would be great on bigger receivers and tight ends and I think he would be a special teams terror..

Mathieu is not a safety.    Way too small.

And while his coverage skills are not great,   they can be improved by good coaching....   he's already gotten some because he looked very good at the combine,  so clearly the kid has been working with a coach.

He's a corner....   a slot corner, a nickel corner to be sure....    but he's a corner....     I'd like him in the 3rd,  but I'd love him in the 4th....

That said,  there's so much buzz about him that I have little idea where he'll go?    Wouldn't be surprised if someone jumps the field and uses a #2 on him....    wouldn't be surprised if we look up in the 5th and he's still there....   neither would surprise me....

I agree 100%. Mathieu is nowhere near a safety. He'll be nothing more than a nickle corner his whole career.

I agree 100%. Mathieu is nowhere near a safety. He'll be nothing more than a nickle corner his whole career.

I agree that he may not be more than a nickel corner,  but I've modified my view on him some...

First....   I think he might become one of the better nickel corners in the league...

Two....   his impact on special teams can't be discounted....    he could be a stand-out on all four special teams...

So....     I'm modestly hopeful the kid has seen the light and is getting his act together....    he could help the right team...

Now,  whether the Colts are the right team,  I don't know....

Yes Rhodes and Trufant there's a reason guards fall every year you can get good ones in later rounds. Decastro was considered one of the best guards to come out and he fell to 24 it's just not a great position of need as a CB.

Trufant looks like another Powers, not in the first, we have 3 solid corners now....Cooper is elite and I wouldn't pass on him unless Mingo , Jarvis Jones, or Tayvon Austin fall to us...Safeties are the easiest players to find later in the draft, especially if they aren't in need of a starting safety...We need more depth at safety for sure though, but I think Lefged will continue to develop and he has great potential.

I agree that he may not be more than a nickel corner,  but I've modified my view on him some...

First....   I think he might become one of the better nickel corners in the league...

Two....   his impact on special teams can't be discounted....    he could be a stand-out on all four special teams...

So....     I'm modestly hopeful the kid has seen the light and is getting his act together....    he could help the right team...

Now,  whether the Colts are the right team,  I don't know....

Yeah, he could definitely be a good ST's player, but people keep saying he'll play safety and it won't happen. Nickle corner is his future, but I highly doubt it will be a Colts future.

Trufant looks like another Powers, not in the first, we have 3 solid corners now....Cooper is elite and I wouldn't pass on him unless Mingo , Jarvis Jones, or Tayvon Austin fall to us...Safeties are the easiest players to find later in the draft, especially if they aren't in need of a starting safety...We need more depth at safety for sure though, but I think Lefged will continue to develop and he has great potential.

Trufant is a much better player then powers i like our 3 CB's as well but you can never have enough cb's. Jarvis Jones is the player i want the most though.