Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock draft (After signing DHB )

No....   the point is it only happens in incredibly rare circumstances.

And those circumstances do not exist in the framework of what the original poster was advocating....   which was the Colts trading back from 24 to 34 and picking up the 61st pick in addition.

If you can find that has happened before,  I'll be happy to change my view on that.....

In another thread on this webpage,  the one about great websites for all to use,  there's a draft pick points calculator that teams use to gauge proper draft pick compensation....

And the two #2 scenario's isn't even close....  

just something to consider, there was a lot of talk last year on various draft shows and articles talking about the point calculator being obsolete after the new CBA set limits on rookie contracts, saying that teams would be willing to give up more to move up because it's less of a risk now that they won't be paying nearly as much.  Now it's possible that some draft calculators have been "updated" since the new CBA but I don't think that is the case.   

Plus we have to remember that draft picks may have a different value to a team with 15 total picks like the 49'ers, especially when they know that a decent number of their picks aren't going to make the roster.  I'm not saying that the proposed trade is likely but I certainly wouldn't say it's in "just doesn't happen" territory.

If Ogletree falls...  If Warmack falls... If Moore falls... We have an 11-5 team and only getting better with FA... The draft, IMO, should fill the holes with wonderful players that not only fit OUR new scheme/team/talent, but also provide immediate "game value".  Who that is...Grigson and Irsay don't even know at this point, but...they do have a list...and after countless inquiries they have decided not to share...

I believe we are all in agreement that the following "positions" will be addressed at some point in the draft(s). Players I've seen on numerous mock drafts...

RG-Warmack, Cooper, Warford, Fluker, Jones ©, Pugh, Winters, Schwenke ©, Bailey, Hawkinson...

LB-Bostic, Lemonier, Buchanan, Washington, Porter, Brown, Ogletree, Jones, Moore, Jenkins...

WR-(DHB) Hopkins, Rogers, Harper, Austin, Allen, Swope, Patton, Wilson, Mellette...

RB-Lacy, Bernard, Franklin, Taylor, Bell, Graham, Barner, Wood...

DL-Jones, Williams, Hankins, Jenkins, Geathers...

OT-Watson, Hurst, Long...

CB-Trufant, Rhodes, Slay, Amerson, Hawthorne, Mathieu, Commings...

FS-Evans, Swearinger, Thomas, Williams,

2014 1st RD...

WR Watkins

CB Purifoy

LB Mosley, Hubbard, Van Noy

RB Yeldon

OT Yankey, Richardson

FS/S  Reynolds Clifton-Dix

just something to consider, there was a lot of talk last year on various draft shows and articles talking about the point calculator being obsolete after the new CBA set limits on rookie contracts, saying that teams would be willing to give up more to move up because it's less of a risk now that they won't be paying nearly as much.  Now it's possible that some draft calculators have been "updated" since the new CBA but I don't think that is the case.   

Plus we have to remember that draft picks may have a different value to a team with 15 total picks like the 49'ers, especially when they know that a decent number of their picks aren't going to make the roster.  I'm not saying that the proposed trade is likely but I certainly wouldn't say it's in "just doesn't happen" territory.

I like your post and your view....

But I'm highly skeptical that some team is going to give up two #2's to move up 10 spaces from the top of the 2nd to the bottom of the first...

I'm not saying the draft pick chart is the Bible.  My understanding is not every team uses it.   But it's a good rough gage...  and I posted it in the other thread so it's available as a useful tool.

There have been a number of posts by very nice, well meaning Colts fans floating ideas about trading up or down and what would the Colts have to spend to move up or receive to move back....   and these nice fans simply don't know what the value of each deal is...

I simply wanted them to have a ballpark idea....

And since I'm not aware of someone paying the price of two 2's (one of them high) to move up to the bottom of the 1st round,  I remain skeptical....

Hope that clarifies....    (though I suspect a certain someone will still take issue....)

So if we draft jones ppl think he will start over RJF now I don't see that happening I believe RJF will be a really good player he could be our starter for years he was playing behind a pro bowl player in SF

I would view him as Redding's replacement in a year or two. But from what I have read Datone Jones is more of a one gap than a two gap DE in a 34.

I like your post and your view....

But I'm highly skeptical that some team is going to give up two #2's to move up 10 spaces from the top of the 2nd to the bottom of the first...

I'm not saying the draft pick chart is the Bible.  My understanding is not every team uses it.   But it's a good rough gage...  and I posted it in the other thread so it's available as a useful tool.

There have been a number of posts by very nice, well meaning Colts fans floating ideas about trading up or down and what would the Colts have to spend to move up or receive to move back....   and these nice fans simply don't know what the value of each deal is...

I simply wanted them to have a ballpark idea....

And since I'm not aware of someone paying the price of two 2's (one of them high) to move up to the bottom of the 1st round,  I remain skeptical....

Hope that clarifies....    (though I suspect a certain someone will still take issue....)

Well, you're right, such a trade may be unprecedented...but it's also unprecedented for a team to have as many picks as the 49ers have in this draft.  Again, I'm not saying it's likely, not by any stretch.  If I were the 49ers I'd have no problem moving up a little bit here and there and using the later round picks as extra collateral in doing so but I wouldn't give up any of the higher picks.  But that's me...no telling what they'll do, and it also is dependent on what prospects they like, how much they like them, and who falls on draft day.

I would view him as Redding's replacement in a year or two. But from what I have read Datone Jones is more of a one gap than a two gap DE in a 34.

See I'm with you I see it being Redding's replacement not RJF cause RJF is young and I believe he will be good him with chapman and a young DE in the draft we have a sweet young D line for awhile

Also like I said before I don't know a whole lot about most of the later round players and I'm not sure who the best 3-4 DEs in this draft lol but I wouldn't mind one I do really hope cooper could fall not likely but I can dream lol

It doesn't seem like there will be much demand to trade up for a QB. The best we can hope for in a possible trade back is that someone of value drops. I could see Detroit or Philly trading up to get a corner like Trufant if he is available at #24 and they pass on Milliner. I could see a team trading up for a WR like Keenan Allen or Tavon Austin if they are available.

I feel like there are so many teams interested in trading back that the value in trading back is decreased.

just something to consider, there was a lot of talk last year on various draft shows and articles talking about the point calculator being obsolete after the new CBA set limits on rookie contracts, saying that teams would be willing to give up more to move up because it's less of a risk now that they won't be paying nearly as much. Now it's possible that some draft calculators have been "updated" since the new CBA but I don't think that is the case.

Plus we have to remember that draft picks may have a different value to a team with 15 total picks like the 49'ers, especially when they know that a decent number of their picks aren't going to make the roster. I'm not saying that the proposed trade is likely but I certainly wouldn't say it's in "just doesn't happen" territory.

Seems to be a consensus with 49er writers is that they want the 49ers to trade up higher to get Sheldon Richardson, Kenny Vaccarro, or Tavon Austin. That's another thing I never understood with people here saying trade with the niners, why would they trade up to 24 when they can trade up way higher and get the exact player they want towards the top half of the 1st. Don't be surprised on April 25th and you see the 49ers picking in the 10-15 range

U always worry about who you can get later in the draft...as though those players are a lock to be there when the colts draft. Passing up quality players hoping player x of lesser quality will be there later isn't realistic.

I think its quite clear that no particular player is a lock to be at a certain spot, Whats unrealistic is drafting a player in the 1st who simply wont be the BPA while we just picked up another DE in FA whos contract clearly says that he will start while we have Redding at the other end and Moala behind him, could he beat out Moala and Nevis for playing time? Maybe but it would be by no means a lock

Is it clear that we play a 2-gap 3/4 defense and not a one gap?

I ask, because in the last 10 days I read somewhere about possible draft picks and the write-up said the player would be better in a 1-gap system like the Colts use.    I remember thinking that the view here is we play a 2-gap system.

So, are we sure?   

Is it clear that we play a 2-gap 3/4 defense and not a one gap?

I ask, because in the last 10 days I read somewhere about possible draft picks and the write-up said the player would be better in a 1-gap system like the Colts use.    I remember thinking that the view here is we play a 2-gap system.

So, are we sure?   

I'm positive....I think....pretty sure

Seems to be a consensus with 49er writers is that they want the 49ers to trade up higher to get Sheldon Richardson, Kenny Vaccarro, or Tavon Austin. That's another thing I never understood with people here saying trade with the niners, why would they trade up to 24 when they can trade up way higher and get the exact player they want towards the top half of the 1st. Don't be surprised on April 25th and you see the 49ers picking in the 10-15 range

You very well could be right.  They definitely have the draft picks to move up higher than #24 if they want to.  It's possible that they could have trouble finding a willing trade partner though.  As I said, it's very unlikely we wind up trading with the 49ers, as ideal as that scenario would be.  But if they don't make a move right away and someone they really like happens to drop to #24 and they don't think he'll drop much further, then they could reach out to the Colts.  Unlikely but still remotely possible. :)

We trade pick 24 to SF for picks 34 61

34 pick damontre moore DE / OLB Texas A/M

61 Kyle Long G/OT Oregon

86 Tyran Matheiu FS/CB LSU

121 Chris Harper WR Kansas

6th round Depth

7th round kicker to push vinateri

Your Thoughts?

Not bad! Chris Harper would a nice pick up. And I think Long has been rising of late if I'm not mistaken.