Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Era vs Manning Era

Dark Superman

Rodgers has missed starts and been concussed because he runs out of the pocket. Kaep, Wilson have only played one year, actually Kaep has only played about half a season and Cam only two season. The issue is risk, right? If all of them continue to play outide of the pocket they will miss games, whereas guys like Eli, Flacco make start after start...percentages are in the pocket guys favor.

He missed one start due to injury since he became the starter. Griffin has only played a year as well, but you used him in your example lol. Eli has a great o-line, as does Flacco.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He missed one start due to injury since he became the starter. Griffin has only played a year as well, but you used him in your example lol. Eli has a great o-line, as does Flacco.

Redskins Oline was pretty darn good too but Griffin did not stay behind it a lot. That was his problem.

Then you agree with me. Griffin needs to slide and be more smart to avoid injury as it is more dangerous outside of the pocket. I mean it really is not debatable when you look at the history of running QBs.

I do believe that he needs to slide. I would think that every QB who leaves the pocket needs to slide...not because it is more dangerous, but due to the fact that he is the offense's most important player and there is no need to take unnecessary hits.

Redskins Oline was pretty darn good too but Griffin did not stay behind it a lot. That was his problem.

Well when the defense leaves behind a 20-yard void of open space, and you have world class speed, I would expect the guy to use his feet to help his team get first downs. Again, Griffin was running all season and still only missed one regular season game.

Well when the defense leaves behind a 20-yard void of open space, and you have world class speed, I would expect the guy to use his feet to help his team get first downs. Again, Griffin was running all season and still only missed one regular season game.

I am not sure what you are arguing anymore. It is safter in the pocket than outside of it. Sounds like you agree. I know RG is a great athlete which is why I don't think Shanny will be able to reel him in as he is not going to sit in the pocket and make the 20 yard throw if he feels he can run for the 20. This is where the risk comes in. The Nagatas of the world will be waiting for him and more injures are probable.

I am not sure what you are arguing anymore. It is safter in the pocket than outside of it. Sounds like you agree. I know RG is a great athlete which is why I don't think Shanny will be able to reel him in as he is not going to sit in the pocket and make the 20 yard throw if he feels he can run for the 20. This is where the risk comes in. The Nagatas of the world will be waiting for him and more injures are probable.

Not if he runs out of bounds/slides. I still think that a QB can be hurt as much in the pocket as outside of it. Especially with defensive lineman getting bigger, smarter, and faster.

Wow just now on first take, Stephen Smith said Shanny never wanted to trade up and get RG. He wanted to stay where he was in the draft and get Tannenhill. Snyder made him get RG.

And Stephen Smith knows this how? Lol.

Not if he runs out of bounds/slides. I still think that a QB can be hurt as much in the pocket as outside of it. Especially with defensive lineman getting bigger, smarter, and faster.

You are proving my point. IF he runs out of bounds, IF he slides. Sure. But what if he can't get there in time? As you said the defenders are bigger, faster, they will catch him some of the time.

In the pocket everything is in front of you but more importantly you have blockers AND the rules to your advantage. I mean you basically can't touch a QB in the pocket. That alone makes it a ton more safer.

Only heard part of it. I am sure he has his sources. ;-) Whatever those are. Just shocked he said it. And he said it like it was common knowledge. Skip didn't even raise an eyebrow so I am thinking he has said it before.

And Stephen Smith knows this how? Lol.

You are proving my point. IF he runs out of bounds, IF he slides. Sure. But what if he can't get there in time? As you said the defenders are bigger, faster, they will catch him some of the time.

In the pocket everything is in front of you but more importantly you have blockers AND the rules to your advantage. I mean you basically can't touch a QB in the pocket. That alone makes it a ton more safer.

I'm not proving your point at all. You specifically mentioned guys like Ngata...i.e. guys that are big and can hurt any player in open space or in the pocket. And Griffin is faster than basically every defensive player in the league...I'm sure he will be able to outrun guys on the d-line. Brady, however, or Manning will be in the pocket looking to throw to the right when bam! Blindsided by Jadeveon Clowney.

Only heard part of it. I am sure he has his sources. ;-) Whatever those are. Just shocked he said it. And he said it like it was common knowledge. Skip didn't even raise an eyebrow so I am thinking he has said it before.

Well Stephen Smith isn't exactly a guy whose opinion I really value. I doubt that it's true. Settling for a cherry when you can have a bowl of apples, bananas, grapes? Hmm.

I'm not proving your point at all. You specifically mentioned guys like Ngata...i.e. guys that are big and can hurt any player in open space or in the pocket. And Griffin is faster than basically every defensive player in the league...I'm sure he will be able to outrun guys on the d-line. Brady, however, or Manning will be in the pocket looking to throw to the right when bam! Blindsided by Jadeveon Clowney.

What on earth are you taking about? Nagata and those like him are less likely to get a free shot from behind on Brady/Manning because the play is in front of them so they can get rid of the ball or go down. RG had Nagata coming from his blindside and bam tore up his knee. Like I said, injures can happen on any play but all the evidence shows that pocket QBs get hurt less, miss less games and generally have longer careers. I mean 220 lbs vs. 350 in the open field? Come on man.

What on earth are you taking about? Nagata and those like him are less likely to get a free shot from behind on Brady/Manning because the play is in front of them so they can get rid of the ball or go down. RG had Nagata coming from his blindside and bam tore up his knee. Like I said, injures can happen on any play but all the evidence shows that pocket QBs get hurt less, miss less games and generally have longer careers. I mean 220 lbs vs. 350 in the open field? Come on man.

Griffin was hurt as he was going down, there was no blindside hit. 220 lbs can, more than likely, outrun 350 in the open field, and even if hit the smaller guy can and will survive. And since when do Brady/Manning always see the hit coming? Use history if you want, but the game is changing. Teams are looking for QBs who can beat the opposition with their legs and their brains. I think those guys are going to last and be the norm for years and years to come.

Griffin was hurt as he was going down, there was no blindside hit. 220 lbs can, more than likely, outrun 350 in the open field, and even if hit the smaller guy can and will survive. And since when do Brady/Manning always see the hit coming? Use history if you want, but the game is changing. Teams are looking for QBs who can beat the opposition with their legs and their brains. I think those guys are going to last and be the norm for years and years to come.

He did not see Nagata because he was slowing down because of the player in front of him about to hit him. He helicoptered his leg and bam he was hurt. Brady and Manning are never in that situation. Not sure what else to tell you. Football is not a track race. There are guys all over the field gunning for you and they will catch you some of the time and most likely hurt you. Again, all the rules protect the QB in the pocket. Much safter there. That is not debatable.

Most NFL coaches and GMs think the running QBs we are seeing now are a fad specifically because they won't last. Pocket QBs will never ever go away. The quickest, easiest, and safest way to beat a defense is to drop back, read the defense, and make a quality throw. Period.

He did not see Nagata because he was slowing down because of the player in front of him about to hit him. He helicoptered his leg and bam he was hurt. Brady and Manning are never in that situation. Not sure what else to tell you. Football is not a track race. There are guys all over the field gunning for you and they will catch you some of the time and most likely hurt you. Again, all the rules protect the QB in the pocket. Much safter there. That is not debatable.

Most NFL coaches and GMs think the running QBs we are seeing now are a fad specifically because they won't last. Pocket QBs will never ever go away. The quickest, easiest, and safest way to beat a defense is to drop back, read the defense, and make a quality throw. Period.

Rules in the pocket or not, a guy will hit first and ask questions later. Ask Schaub, Cutler how much defenders care about the rules in the heat of the moment. There will always be a James Harrison or Suh to come in and cause havoc and will hit the QB in the head, knees, wherever they please, because they are just guys like that. Football is a track race...a track race to the endzone. Some of the time is right... I would take Griffin and Kaepernick over any defenders in the redzone. Griffin is also a pocket passer, and he has high football I.Q. and he can and will hurt you from the pocket. He's Brady with legs, basically. And that makes him even more dangerous.

Rules in the pocket or not, a guy will hit first and ask questions later. Ask Schaub, Cutler how much defenders care about the rules in the heat of the moment. There will always be a James Harrison or Suh to come in and cause havoc and will hit the QB in the head, knees, wherever they please, because they are just guys like that. Football is a track race...a track race to the endzone. Some of the time is right... I would take Griffin and Kaepernick over any defenders in the redzone. Griffin is also a pocket passer, and he has high football I.Q. and he can and will hurt you from the pocket. He's Brady with legs, basically.

Laughable.

RG3 is a mediocre pocket passer. His high completion percentage is due to dump-offs and roll-outs.

Laughable.

RG3 is a mediocre pocket passer. His high completion percentage are due to dump-offs and roll-outs.

Even more laughable. A Colts fan using the dump-off argument when it's been argued to death and already disproven midseason. Mediocre passers aren't considered as possible number one draft picks...ask Matt Barkley. Griffin is a superb passer, and he had a great season with no-name receivers.

Laughable.

RG3 is a mediocre pocket passer. His high completion percentage is due to dump-offs and roll-outs.

I agree, RG3 isn't anywhere in Brady's ballpark. Heck he's not in several top QB's ballpark when it comes to passing. Griffin has a decent deep ball and beyond that his passing skills are nothing to write home about. He don't put the right touch on his throws on short to intermediate routes and thinks he has to throw the ball 100 mph everytime. Reminds me of Vick with his throws. Although, he is more accurate, his touch needs serious work.

Rules in the pocket or not, a guy will hit first and ask questions later. Ask Schaub, Cutler how much defenders care about the rules in the heat of the moment. There will always be a James Harrison or Suh to come in and cause havoc and will hit the QB in the head, knees, wherever they please, because they are just guys like that. Football is a track race...a track race to the endzone. Some of the time is right... I would take Griffin and Kaepernick over any defenders in the redzone. Griffin is also a pocket passer, and he has high football I.Q. and he can and will hurt you from the pocket. He's Brady with legs, basically. And that makes him even more dangerous.

This is my last post as I am done with this. You refuse to admit that QBs are safer in the pocket with the rules and blockers in front of them not to mention receivers and RBs that they can dump it off to. A running QB is left to his own with 11 guys coming at him from all directions and has to hope he can get to the sideline or slide like RG was attempting to do before a Ngata comes and blows up his knee. I mean the fact that you are even using RG as example is laughable. The guy was beaten up like a rag doll so much so that he and his coach agree he needs to stay in the pocket. I mean, I am voting for the guy. I really am. I love watching him play but to suggest a running QB is not at sig. more risk than a pocket QB for injury is just insane.

This is my last post as I am done with this. You refuse to admit that QBs are safer in the pocket with the rules and blockers in front of them not to mention receivers and RBs that they can dump it off to. A running QB is left to his own with 11 guys coming at him from all directions and has to hope he can get to the sideline or slide like RG was attempting to do before a Ngata comes and blows up his knee. I mean the fact that you are even using RG as example is laughable. The guy was beaten up like a rag doll so much so that he and his coach agree he needs to stay in the pocket. I mean, I am voting for the guy. I really am. I love watching him play but to suggest a running QB is not at sig. more risk than a pocket QB for injury is just insane.

I'm glad that you are done with this, because I am not changing my stance. Again, Rodgers has faced 11 guys coming from all directions at him for many years...and he is doing just fine, one of the best QBs in the game. Griffin will be just fine, he's a fast guy and he will learn from this injury and will take less risks with the football. Nice having this conversation with you.

Even more laughable. A Colts fan using the dump-off argument when it's been argued to death and already disproven midseason. Mediocre passers aren't considered as possible number one draft picks...ask Matt Barkley.

Ok lets look at some stats. 

Deep passes: RG3 ranked 27th is pass attempt more than 15 yards. http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?*=QB.

He threw an average of 4.6 passes more than 15 yards.

3rd and long (most accurate statistic of pocket passers): http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=&type=Passing&range=NFL&rank=047

He's not even in the top 20.

3rd down conversion: http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=&type=Passing&range=NFL&rank=047

Not even in the top 20.

Without the threat of the run his stats dip considerably.

His leading receivers averaged 10.6, 14.4, and 14.0 yards per catch.

That comes out to 7.7, 9.5, and 8.5 yards per reception when you subtract YAC.

So what was disproven?

Once the Seahawks realized RG3 could'nt run it was over there was no fear of him in the pocket .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/01/06/seahawks-quickly-recognized-robert-griffin-iiis-diminished-abilities/

IMO RG3 has alot to prove yes he is a good passer I'v seen the stats - With the threat of a run he is a beast without it there is no respect from the opposing defenses IMO . He needs to win with his arm to get respect as a QB .

Your clown picture is scaring me.

Once the Seahawks realized RG3 could'nt run it was over there was no fear of him in the pocket .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/01/06/seahawks-quickly-recognized-robert-griffin-iiis-diminished-abilities/

IMO RG3 has alot to prove yes he is a good passer I'v seen the stats - With the threat of a run he is a beast without it there is no respect from the opposing defenses IMO . He needs to win with his arm to get respect as a QB .

Ok lets look at some stats. 

Deep passes: RG3 ranked 27th is pass attempt more than 15 yards. http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?*=QB.

He threw an average of 4.6 passes more than 15 yards.

3rd and long (most accurate statistic of pocket passers): http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=&type=Passing&range=NFL&rank=047

He's not even in the top 20.

3rd down conversion: http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=&type=Passing&range=NFL&rank=047

Not even in the top 20.

Without the threat of the run his stats dip considerably.

His leading receivers averaged 10.6, 14.4, and 14.0 yards per catch.

That comes out to 7.7, 9.5, and 8.5 yards per reception when you subtract YAC.

So what was disproven?

Well if we're throwing stats around...

NFL rookie record 102.4 passer rating. Former record of 98.1 was held by Ben Roethlisberger (2004).

NFL rookie record 815 rushing yards for a Quarterback. Former record of 706 yards was held by Cam Newton (2011).

NFL rookie record +15 Touchdown-Interception differential (tied with Russell Wilson, 2012). Former record of +14 was held by Dan Marino (1983).

2nd in NFL history as a rookie with 65.6% completion. Record of 66.4% is held by Ben Roethlisberger (2004).

NFL rookie record 1.27% of passes attempted being intercepted. Former record of 1.98% was held by Charlie Batch (1998).

Led the NFL in yards per pass attempt with 8.14 YPA. Second-best in the NFL was 8.0 YPA (Cam Newton).

Led the NFL in yards per rush attempt with 6.8 YPC. Second-best in the NFL was 6.5 YPC (C.J. Spiller).

Joins Aaron Rodgers (2011) as the only 2 Quarterbacks in NFL history to finish a season with 8.1 yards per pass attempt, 65% pass completion, and only 1.27 INT%.

Joins Dan Marino (1983) as the only rookie quarterbacks in NFL history to be initially selected to the Pro-Bowl.

Becomes the only QB in NFL history to rush for 750 yards and finish with a passer rating over 100.0.

Becomes the only the 2nd QB in NFL history to rush for 750 yards and finish with a +15 TD-INT differential (Randall Cunningham, 1990).

Becomes the only QB in NFL history to rush for 750 yards and finish with a 4:1 TD-INT ratio.

Current career leader in NFL history (rookie or vet) with 4:1 touchdown-interception ratio. Former leader of 3.47:1 was held by Aaron Rodgers.

Current career leader in NFL history (rookie or vet) with 620:1 yards-interception ratio. Former leader of 457:1 was held by Aaron Rodgers.

On pace to be the career leader in NFL history (rookie or vet) with 65.65% completion (needs a minimum of 2500 attempts). Current leader is Drew Brees at 65.64%.

Led the Washington Redskins offense to ranking #1 in yards per play, #1 in yards per pass, #2 in yards per rush, #2 in points per play, and #1 in giveaways per per game.

Led the Washington Redskins to their first NFC East championship since 1999 (over the defending Super Bowl champions) and their third playoff appearance in 20 years.

Besides, it has been noted that Brady, Manning, even Rodgers benefit greatly from the short passes and dump offs as well. I don't feel the need to go back through these threads or look up all that info myself so feel free if you want. Does that make them overrated or not great passers? Oh no, it doesn't, because they aren't Robert Griffin. You guys are hilarious.

He was leading the great Seahawks 14-0 and was hurting the entire game, apparently...I think that all of the rookies have a lot to prove, not just Griffin. I can point out several flaws with 12's game, and his stats and mainly his yardage are inflated due to the insane amount of times that he put the ball in the air.

Well if we're throwing stats around...

NFL rookie record 102.4 passer rating. Former record of 98.1 was held by Ben Roethlisberger (2004).

NFL rookie record 815 rushing yards for a Quarterback. Former record of 706 yards was held by Cam Newton (2011).

NFL rookie record +15 Touchdown-Interception differential (tied with Russell Wilson, 2012). Former record of +14 was held by Dan Marino (1983).

2nd in NFL history as a rookie with 65.6% completion. Record of 66.4% is held by Ben Roethlisberger (2004).

NFL rookie record 1.27% of passes attempted being intercepted. Former record of 1.98% was held by Charlie Batch (1998).

Led the NFL in yards per pass attempt with 8.14 YPA. Second-best in the NFL was 8.0 YPA (Cam Newton).

Led the NFL in yards per rush attempt with 6.8 YPC. Second-best in the NFL was 6.5 YPC (C.J. Spiller).

Joins Aaron Rodgers (2011) as the only 2 Quarterbacks in NFL history to finish a season with 8.1 yards per pass attempt, 65% pass completion, and only 1.27 INT%.

Joins Dan Marino (1983) as the only rookie quarterbacks in NFL history to be initially selected to the Pro-Bowl.

Becomes the only QB in NFL history to rush for 750 yards and finish with a passer rating over 100.0.

Becomes the only the 2nd QB in NFL history to rush for 750 yards and finish with a +15 TD-INT differential (Randall Cunningham, 1990).

Becomes the only QB in NFL history to rush for 750 yards and finish with a 4:1 TD-INT ratio.

Current career leader in NFL history (rookie or vet) with 4:1 touchdown-interception ratio. Former leader of 3.47:1 was held by Aaron Rodgers.

Current career leader in NFL history (rookie or vet) with 620:1 yards-interception ratio. Former leader of 457:1 was held by Aaron Rodgers.

On pace to be the career leader in NFL history (rookie or vet) with 65.65% completion (needs a minimum of 2500 attempts). Current leader is Drew Brees at 65.64%.

Led the Washington Redskins offense to ranking #1 in yards per play, #1 in yards per pass, #2 in yards per rush, #2 in points per play, and #1 in giveaways per per game.

Led the Washington Redskins to their first NFC East championship since 1999 (over the defending Super Bowl champions) and their third playoff appearance in 20 years.

Besides, it has been noted that Brady, Manning, even Rodgers benefit greatly from the short passes and dump offs as well. Does that make them overrated or not great passers? Oh no, it doesn't, because they aren't Robert Griffin. You guys are hilarious.

You didn't disprove anything I said. Just rattled off awards and accolades. I didn't say he didn't have those things.

Saying he's a pocket passer on par with Tom Brady is just blind homerism.

You didn't disprove anything I said. Just rattled off awards and accolades. I didn't say he didn't have those things.

Saying he's a pocket passer on par with Tom Brady is just blind homerism.

Homerism? You do realize that I'm a Texans fan, right? When I said he was Tom Brady with legs I obviously wasn't saying that this second year guy is as good as the best player in the modern era. I was saying that he is a great passer who can run as well. You won't find many NFL GMs or coaches (or defensive players) who will dispute that. He was winning against Seattle when he was obviously in pain and not his usual self, despite his "third-down deficiencies".I love how you guys love to take everything literally just when the time is right.

Homerism? You do realize that I'm a Texans fan, right? When I said he was Tom Brady with legs I obviously wasn't saying that this second year guy is as good as the best player in the modern era. I was saying that he is a great passer who can run as well. You won't find many NFL GMs or coaches (or defensive players) who will dispute that. He was winning against Seattle when he was obviously in pain and not his usual self. I love how you guys love to take everything literally just when the time is right.

How about that. Colts fans and Texan fans defending Brady's greateness. I can die happy now. :-)

Perhaps RG is more like Flacco with legs? lol.

Homerism? You do realize that I'm a Texans fan, right? When I said he was Tom Brady with legs I obviously wasn't saying that this second year guy is as good as the best player in the modern era. I was saying that he is a great passer who can run as well. You won't find many NFL GMs or coaches (or defensive players) who will dispute that. He was winning against Seattle when he was obviously in pain and not his usual self. I love how you guys love to take everything literally just when the time is right.

But he's not a great pocket passer. He's an average to below average pocket passer. He falters in passing situations when there's no threat of the run. I mean I gave you the stats.

But he's not a great pocket passer. He's an average to below average pocket passer. He falters in passing situations when there's no threat of the run. I mean I gave you the stats.

You know how 12's stats are inflated due to the system he was in? Well Griffin's are deflated. All you gave me was this third down stuff. If Griffin was in a system where he didn't have a running game, or wasn't running as much himself, he would have higher percentages than he does now.

You know how 12's stats are inflated due to the system he was in? Well Griffin's are deflated. All you gave me was this third down stuff. If Griffin was in a system where he didn't have a running game, or wasn't running as much himself, he would have higher percentages than he does now.

Wait, so the guy who had a passer rating of 76 has inflated stats and the guy with a passer rating of 106 had deflated stats? haha

Your second part is completely wrong. No team runs the ball on 3rd and 8+ there's no excuse for him not being in the top 20.