Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Contracts you can't wait to get out from under

I wouldn't bet the farm that our starting LB's will be Mathis and Hughes.

Irsay has already tweeted he expects to see Mathis and Walden.

Now,  I realize Irsay doesn't call that shot.   I'm only suggesting that if Irsay made that public tweet,  then he's getting that view from Grigson.   

So, I'm expecting Mathis & Walden as 1st string,  and Hughes and Sidbury as 2nd string.

That's my view as of mid-March.

Will be am interesting next 6 months or so, (apologize about my little rant earlier I was just floored by that 16 million) http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/erik-walden/ according to Spotrac here is how his contract is layed out

I'm confused, who said Hughes and Mathis would be the starting OLB's?

Sorry,  I took your words to mean that,  though you didn't literally say that.     Here's the comment that caught my eye....

I expect more of the same this year, only it'll primarily be Mathis and Hughes on the outside instead of Mathis and Freeney.  I expect to see Hughes and Mathis on the field together quite a bit this season unless we draft another rush backer who outperforms Hughes in TC or Preseason.

I thought you were saying they'd both start.   If that's not your view,  then my bad.   But, I think you are trying to say they'll be playing a lot together, and if Walden is the first string, then I'm not sure how much playing time Hughes will get?

Sorry,  I took your words to mean that,  though you didn't literally say that.     Here's the comment that caught my eye....

I expect more of the same this year, only it'll primarily be Mathis and Hughes on the outside instead of Mathis and Freeney.  I expect to see Hughes and Mathis on the field together quite a bit this season unless we draft another rush backer who outperforms Hughes in TC or Preseason.

I thought you were saying they'd both start.   If that's not your view,  then my bad.   But, I think you are trying to say they'll be playing a lot together, and if Walden is the first string, then I'm not sure how much playing time Hughes will get?

I've explained it much better in other threads....what I meant was that I think Walden will be labelled the starter at SAM LB and Mathis will be the starter at rush LB.  However, watching the Colts last year, they mixed up their personnel and formations a lot depending on situations.  In running situations they were more likely to go 3-4 with heavy personnel, whereas in passing situations, or against pass-heavy teams like New England and Green Bay, the Colts used a lot more 4 man fronts.

So this coming year I think on early downs and short yardage, it'll be a 3-4 front with Walden and Mathis, or possibly Walden and Sidbury/Hughes depending on who grades out as the better run defender.  Then in passing situations I think they'll mostly be in a 4 man front and it'll be Mathis and Hughes/Sidbury (depending on who grades out as the better pass rusher) at DE with some combination of Redding, Nevis, Moala, RJF or Matthews on the interior.

Granted I'm sure they'll still mix things up quite a bit just to keep teams off guard, but I think this is what we'll see more often than not.  Basically, on suspected run downs they'll want the best run defenders in and on suspected passing downs it'll be the best pass rushers.  So if Hughes is a better pass rusher than Walden then I think he'll see the field plenty in passing situations.  On the depth chart though, Hughes will most likely be listed as 2nd string at Rush LB behind Mathis, unless Sidbury is the better pass rusher of the 2 in which case Hughes would be 2nd string at SAM.

This is also dependent on who we draft.  If a guy like Mingo, Damontre Moor, Ansah or someone like that slips to #24, Colts draft him and that player shines through preseason then I could see that player at 2nd string Rush LB behind Mathis.

Bottom line being I still think Hughes will get plenty of opportunity.  Everything I've read on Walden suggests he is not a very good pass rusher so I don't see him as being an every down player.  If Hughes can prove he's the better pass rusher then he'll get his shots.

Hughes was in for more plays than Freeney last season. From PFF. As i recall about 800 plays.

you going to pay a player 22 mill over 4 years? for 49 tackles in 51 career games and 3 sacks?

Few things, first of all he was a backup to some pro bowlers but when he was on the field he showed more talent and skill than Jerry Hughes could ever expect to show in his career.

Another thing, why on earth will a DE/DT in a hybrid 3-4 defense be judged on his sacks or tackles when those are not the primary duties of that position in a 3-4??? They are run stuffers, run defense is their main priority. Most things a DT and DE in a 3-4 do does not show up statistics. From the amount of teams going after RJF its obvious he was a commodity. Regardless we payed money for someone that has show talent, abilities and has potential. Not any over the hill veteran or some draft bust.

Satele was massively unimpressive. Mathis will have to prove this year he is worthy. Bethea counts 5.75 against the cap. He is B quality safety making A money. Not saying he isn't a solid safety but he doesn't break up that many passes. Forced no turnovers this year and no picks. He makes tackles but who wouldn't in our secondary. I would like to see us go with a draft pick and develop to start next year....but Satele was the worst.

Wait, what?

What do you pay them on?

There is a fine line obviously. You draft players based on what you believe their future success will be...same with signing someone. That said some of future success has to be based on present production. Honestly its both. Obviously you pay them for what they will do...but in determining that you have to consider highly what they have done. Look, I'm not thrilled with all these signings either. I'm not as discouraged as Gavin. I'm mostly concerned with Walden more than anyone. I think there was some players out there that was graded out ahead of our guys that got paid basically the same thing and that is what bothers some. Vasquez and some corners out there that got similar money that we spent. We don't have to always try to find the diamond in the rough...sometimes a sure thing is the best route with a few reaches here and there. I think we reached on a couple of our guys....but nothing I would say that should hamstring the team. Gavin's points are valid....but perhaps a little over-zealous.

Will be am interesting next 6 months or so, (apologize about my little rant earlier I was just floored by that 16 million) http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/erik-walden/ according to Spotrac here is how his contract is layed out

Based on that if he sucks this year we can cut him at the end of the year and he's not due any big money.  

At the bottom it says that his 2014 base is guaranteed on the 5th league day of 2014.  So in other words before the 5th league day of 2014, (after this year) his guaranteed money is .75 million.  Which means if he sucks he's easy to cut.