Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If We Get In The Top 4, We Must Pick Matt Kalil

Imagine how good our O-line would be, especially at tackle. It would be:

LT - Matt Kalil

LG - Probably a guy we pick in that draft, or a new good guy

C - Jeff Saturday

RG - Mike Pollak

RT - Antony Castonzo

Plus we'll now have depth at every position. Why pick a quarterback who we'll use in 3 or 4 years, pick a player who could have an immediate impact, and Kalil has the potential to be like a Joe Thomas, or a Jake Long. He's the perfect pick, forget Luck, or Barkley.

Where does Ijalana figure in these plans? Ijalana was drafted to be RT and Castanzo for LT. We need a center and OG primarily in the draft while we allow Castanzo and Ijalana to develop. We have 3 wideouts - Wayne, Garcon and Gonzo in a contract year and I think we need to think of WR or CB that can be a playmaker that early in the draft. If we do not trade down and stand pat, I'd go with Alshon Jeffery of South Carolina, 6'4", 233 lbs who plays like a man among boys. Given our success with getting skill position players to work for us, and given our much needed Z wideout that we have been looking for since Marvin left to stretch defenses and be a good red zone target, WR might be the pick if we stand pat.

yes i agree i wantg matt kalil our oline will be very good

LT - matt kalil

lg- reiz or from the draft

c satuday then pollak when saturday retire

rg- ijalana

rt- constanzo

remember pollack was the top rated center or his draft class we drafted him in case we could not retain saturday and he's out of his position at guard

I am not sold on Pac-10 O-linemen, to be honest. They do not face the elite quicker speed rushers consistently. Plus Anthony Castanzo played both Robert Quinn and DaQuan Bowers (when healthy) in the ACC. Not to mention, Boston College has a great history of producing NFL O-linemen. When they drafted him, they said Castanzo was LT material. Castanzo stays at LT.

Here is Matt Kalil's write up by Dan Kadar on mocking the draft:

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/5/4/2151711/matt-kalil-2012-nfl-draft-prospect-notes

Where does Ijalana figure in these plans? Ijalana was drafted to be RT and Castanzo for LT. We need a center and OG primarily in the draft while we allow Castanzo and Ijalana to develop. We have 3 wideouts - Wayne, Garcon and Gonzo in a contract year and I think we need to think of WR or CB that can be a playmaker that early in the draft. If we do not trade down and stand pat, I'd go with Alshon Jeffery of South Carolina, 6'4", 233 lbs who plays like a man among boys. Given our success with getting skill position players to work for us, and given our much needed Z wideout that we have been looking for since Marvin left to stretch defenses and be a good red zone target, WR might be the pick if we stand pat.

Now, Ijalana would probably play backup RT, but the thing with him is that I wouldn't be surprised if they moved him inside at RG. He's really versatile, and if Diem did it, he can too. He and Pollak can duke it out, and at the same time Ijalana is the backup RT for AC.

Reggie is definitely staying and the same with Garcon. Gonzo is definitely gone, so we'll just draft a WR in the later rounds or pick one up via UDFA. Reggie's not going to ask for more, and if anything he'll take a minor paycut. Garcon will probably ask for 3.5M (salary cap wise), and with some players leaving he should be fine. Pick up WR in either the 3rd, 5th or 6th. I wouldn't pick Alshon Jeffery 3rd, 4th or even 5th overall, let alone 2nd. He's barely making it in the top 10. There's good depth with WR, QBs, OLB, DE's, and OT in this draft, so don't worry too much.

Garcon is playing our Z and doing a fine job, but don't compare him to the greatest WR in Colts history, and one of the best all time.Reggie is good redzone target and so is Dallas. Don't go WR in the 1st round!!!! It's not our primary concern because Reggie and Pierre are staying. We have Reggie, Garcon, Collie, White, Gilreath (if needed), and Clark sometimes. We could use one more good guy, but we should pick that guy in the later rounds, the rounds where Polian shines.

Now, Ijalana would probably play backup RT, but the thing with him is that I wouldn't be surprised if they moved him inside at RG. He's really versatile, and if Diem did it, he can too. He and Pollak can duke it out, and at the same time Ijalana is the backup RT for AC.

I can bet it will not happen. The Colts are not the kind to move someone to a different position on the O-line unless they see struggles with that player at that position, especially not the rookie kind that is learning a new position that they said they drafted him for.

So far so good with Castanzo. If Castanzo continues his progress, Castanzo stays at LT..

You may be right about the WR, but I really doubt the Colts go O-line again in round 1.

If we get in the top 4 we must trade for multiple picks like Cleveland did last year.

AGREED 200%

to the OP...I really would be surprised to see OL picked in the first round again. We spent picks in round 1 and 2 last year on the OL. Yes those picks were necessary but we have other areas that need upgraded as well. If we go too all out trying to improve one area that needs fixed for too long, then the problems we have in other areas just get bigger and bigger.

I do think the OL will continue to be addressed, but unless we can make a trade like Quantum88 said, I don't think we'll see OL taken in round 1. If we wind up with 2 first round picks then it might be different.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking him, in fact I have said I do want to take him. But the more you think about, why draft a left tackle(2 if you count Ijalana) the year before and then draft this kid who just so happens to be another left tackle and hurt Castonzo's progress and make him have to learn a new position. On the flip side we would have 3 left tackles on our squad and if Ijalana can play right guard and Kalil plays right tackle, we will have a stalwart offensive line(barring center and left guard). Course, this is all *if* they pan out as expected.

if Ijalana can play right guard and Kalil plays right tackle, we will have a stalwart offensive line(barring center and left guard). Course, this is all *if* they pan out as expected.

That is a more practical scenario than Castanzo playing RT. Not sure if Kalil is bulky enough to play right tackle.

if andrew luck is there we should pick him because he can be the air apparent to peyton. we wont have to wait a year after peyton retires to have a good team. but if he isnt there then o line or skill position players would be great and then maybe a qb with our second round pick that might be a early second round pic which is pretty much a late 1st.

if andrew luck is there we should pick him because he can be the air apparent to peyton. we wont have to wait a year after peyton retires to have a good team. but if he isnt there then o line or skill position players would be great and then maybe a qb with our second round pick that might be a early second round pic which is pretty much a late 1st.

Sorry but i have to point this out. It's heir apparent not air.

Let's keep in mind, if Luck is not there, which means we're not number one, Kalil is the guy to go with. Barkley reminds me of Clausen, but he's playing well, so who knows??

There would be dud seasons following Peyton no matter who is the "heir" apparent. Such a change always brings about struggles.

Besides, we won't spend $6 million a year to have a healthy player ride the pine. Unless we are like, Al Davis stupid.

@OP: chad72 is correct. Castonzo will be our LT for a long time. There's no reason to move him.

Best case scenario, we get the number 1 pick and trade it away for a fortune. With the new rookie pay scale and andrew luck available the number 1 pick will be a hot commodity. We could probably trade it away for a first this year, next year and a 2nd or 3rd round pick at least.

Then pick up justin blackmon, a safety, a corner and a guard in the draft. probably snag a DT and OLB later too.

Not to mention we would likely end up with a high draft pick in 2013

In Ijalana I trust. I want seconddary help!

Yah for reviving this thread!

As for your comment, I trust him too, but I would like him as a guard. With that being said we could move Kalil to RT, and make him backup LT. Then Ijalana is backup RT, and starting RG, with Link playing depth for LT and RT. Diem is probably gone