Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agent Focus: Louis Vasquez

For the next several days leading up to the start of free agency, I will be breaking down the potential free agents for the Indianapolis Colts. This entry is about Louis Vasquez, the unrestricted free agent guards for the San Diego Chargers.

Overview: Vasquez has really emerged as the star of the Chargers' offensive line. He had a very solid season this last year, showing his great agility and good quickness. He's a big guy, which makes his athletcism even more athletic. He's playing a position that's more suited for 305-310 pound guys. He does struggle when run blocking. when  He's expected to leave the Chargers, and the Colts are the favorites to pick him up, and I have even placed a bet on him coming to the Colts.

Strengths: He's a great pass blocking offensive guard. He's one of the better ones around. He protected Rivers extremely well and knows how to take on blitzes. He's perfect for offenses that like to throw the ball a lot. He has great inital impact off the line. When you're a guard, explosiveness is what you want. You want to have more explosion than the guy across from you. Vasquez has a lot of explosion, and it's something that I look for in guards. Explosion seperates the good from the great. He has it. He also has good strength, and it's obvious because he's a big boy. He's 325 pounds and is as strong as most guards in the league. He's also very athletic which is rare for 325+ pounders. You look for guys that have a good mix of athleticism and size. He's still young and is still growing, which just makes this kid more attractive. He probably won't be too overly expensive either, which is another positive for the Colts.

Weaknesses: His big weakness is run blocking. He's not bad, but he could definitely improve. He doesn't do extremely well against big defensive tackles, and I saw him struggle against Derek Wolfe of hte Broncos. He needs to on his footwork when in a run blocking situation. He tends to get too high and his stiffen up a bit. Also, from watching 6 games (just on him), I noticed he has a tendency to look one way and then pick up another guy. That could be confusion or just him being wary, but it's something that as a former offensive line coach, I would not teach. 

How he'd fit in the system: The Colts used a man blocking system, and that's the one Vasquez was in in San Diego. He really knows how to dominate a guy one on one and knows how to pick up blitzes on pass protections. The Colts like to throw the ball and being a good pass protector will be a huge positive. I said the same thing about Levitre, Vasquez playing mediocrely is still better than McGlynn and Reitz. 

Final Thoughts: He's a guy that I would definitely like to have on the team. He's a good pass blocker, he fits in the system, and he's not overly expensive. He could come in and be the starting left guard from Day 1. Vasquez could help the passing game, and help the offense just in general. He's slowly improving on his run blocking, and I think he'll get better in this system. I'd be willing to give him a good amount of money. Add another solid guard through free agency (not necessarily Levitre) and I think they'll be set. I think Matt Slauson or Donald Thomas would be a good add. As for Vasquez, I don't think you can go wrong with him. As mentioned before, even if he doesn't pan out, he's better than Reitz and McGlynn.

Grade: 8.96/10 (T49th Offensive Lineman) (Top 20 Offensive Guard) (Based on my O-lineman rankings)

What I'd Offer Him: 3 years, $17.5 million

For the next several days leading up to the start of free agency, I will be breaking down the potential free agents for the Indianapolis Colts. This entry is about Louis Vasquez, the unrestricted free agent guards for the San Diego Chargers.

Overview: Vasquez has really emerged as the star of the Chargers' offensive line. He had a very solid season this last year, showing his great agility and good quickness. He's a big guy, which makes his athletcism even more athletic. He's playing a position that's more suited for 305-310 pound guys. He does struggle when run blocking. when He's expected to leave the Chargers, and the Colts are the favorites to pick him up, and I have even placed a bet on him coming to the Colts.

Strengths: He's a great pass blocking offensive guard. He's one of the better ones around. He protected Rivers extremely well and knows how to take on blitzes. He's perfect for offenses that like to throw the ball a lot. He has great inital impact off the line. When you're a guard, explosiveness is what you want. You want to have more explosion than the guy across from you. Vasquez has a lot of explosion, and it's something that I look for in guards. Explosion seperates the good from the great. He has it. He also has good strength, and it's obvious because he's a big boy. He's 325 pounds and is as strong as most guards in the league. He's also very athletic which is rare for 325+ pounders. You look for guys that have a good mix of athleticism and size. He's still young and is still growing, which just makes this kid more attractive. He probably won't be too overly expensive either, which is another positive for the Colts.

Weaknesses: His big weakness is run blocking. He's not bad, but he could definitely improve. He doesn't do extremely well against big defensive tackles, and I saw him struggle against Derek Wolfe of hte Broncos. He needs to on his footwork when in a run blocking situation. He tends to get too high and his stiffen up a bit. Also, from watching 6 games (just on him), I noticed he has a tendency to look one way and then pick up another guy. That could be confusion or just him being wary, but it's something that as a former offensive line coach, I would not teach.

How he'd fit in the system: The Colts used a man blocking system, and that's the one Vasquez was in in San Diego. He really knows how to dominate a guy one on one and knows how to pick up blitzes on pass protections. The Colts like to throw the ball and being a good pass protector will be a huge positive. I said the same thing about Levitre, Vasquez playing mediocrely is still better than McGlynn and Reitz.

Final Thoughts: He's a guy that I would definitely like to have on the team. He's a good pass blocker, he fits in the system, and he's not overly expensive. He could come in and be the starting left guard from Day 1. Vasquez could help the passing game, and help the offense just in general. He's slowly improving on his run blocking, and I think he'll get better in this system. I'd be willing to give him a good amount of money. Add another solid guard through free agency (not necessarily Levitre) and I think they'll be set. I think Matt Slauson or Donald Thomas would be a good add. As for Vasquez, I don't think you can go wrong with him. As mentioned before, even if he doesn't pan out, he's better than Reitz and McGlynn.

Grade: 8.96/10 (T49th Offensive Lineman) (Top 20 Offensive Guard) (Based on my O-lineman rankings)

What I'd Offer Him: 3 years, $17.5 million

You must have missed the last 3 weeks here ..

How he'd fit in the system: The Colts used a man blocking system, and that's the one Vasquez was in in San Diego. He really knows how to dominate a guy one on one and knows how to pick up blitzes on pass protections. The Colts like to throw the ball and being a good pass protector will be a huge positive. I said the same thing about Levitre, Vasquez playing mediocrely is still better than McGlynn and Reitz. 

Final Thoughts: He's a guy that I would definitely like to have on the team. He's a good pass blocker, he fits in the system, and he's not overly expensive. He could come in and be the starting left guard from Day 1. Vasquez could help the passing game, and help the offense just in general. He's slowly improving on his run blocking, and I think he'll get better in this system. I'd be willing to give him a good amount of money. Add another solid guard through free agency (not necessarily Levitre) and I think they'll be set. I think Matt Slauson or Donald Thomas would be a good add. As for Vasquez, I don't think you can go wrong with him. As mentioned before, even if he doesn't pan out, he's better than Reitz and McGlynn.

What I'd Offer Him: 3 years, $17.5 million

I am STUNNED you haven't been assaulted by our ankle-biting, lollipop guild for daring to speak the truth regarding Vasquez.

However, you posted this relatively late (past their bed times) therefore they may still show up and release the kraken on yo a**!