Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat Kirwan mock draft

"Barkley has tons of experience in what Bruce Arians wants to do."

What?

Yeah, agreed.  If memory serves, Barkley played in much more of a west coast type offense.   One of the questions about him is arm strength and while I think he'll be fine at the NFL level in the right type of offense, I don't really think he's suited for a vertical passing attack that likes to push the ball downfield like Arians runs.  

I'm also not quite sure how Daytone Jones fits into the Colts defense.  Pagano's defense tends to use much larger 5 tech DE's, guys in the 300-315 lb range.  At only 283 lbs I don't know that Jones would have the strength required to play a 2-gap DE.  Especially since the cbssports.com profile on him questions his strength to be able to play DT consistently.  If he can't play DT in a 4-3 then I don't see how he could play DE in a 2 gap 3-4.  Maybe he could play Sam LB on early downs and UT on passing downs?  Not sure, but he has both Damontre Moore and Sam Montgomery still on the board at the time and I think either of them would be a much better fit than Jones.  Also, he has Montgomery listed as a DT.  A 6'3" 262 lb defensive tackle?  Really? lol

So overall, this mock seems very iffy. :)

With all the moves the Chiefs have already and will make, many have already had to revise their mock drafts.  I don't see much trading down as there is very few, if any, player(s) worth teams jumping up to get.  If ever there was a minimal trade, just take BPA off the board down the line, then this draft may be it.  But I'm almost as sure there'll be 1 or 2 that panic at the last moment and make a head scratching trade/reach.

As others have pointed out... would Grigson actually pass on Jonathan Cooper to get Daytone Jones?  And is Matt Barkley really better for Arians scheme than Mike Glennon (who the Cards might be able to get in round 2) ?

Yeah, I'm not all that down with this one.